Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Most overrated albums in music.

Comments

• McBobbin
    Ok computer. I'm not a big radiohead fan, I just don't get them
    'The Bends' is one of the best albums I own - But totally agree with the panning of 'OK Computer', partly because it got so much undeserved industry hype, and partly because it was just utter Dog Toffee. (karma police aside)
  • Stone Roses
    Different Class - Pulp
  • edited July 2012
    I always thought REM albums had 2-3 killer tracks and an awful lot of filler.

One of the few albums I would have paid someone to take off of my hands was The Strokes first album, utter shite.

This, I just find amazing.
  • Bat out of hell.....awful
  • I like bat out of hell!
  • Pink Floyd - dark side of the moon,anything by Eminem,Holst- the planets suite,rolling stones - exile on main street,Duran Duran -Rio,the entire recorded history of the grateful dead and most of anything produced by frank Zappa
  • Totally underrated albums - Daryl hall : sacred songs and the chameleons : any of their first three recordings starting with the script of the bridge
  • anything by The Beatles
    Large......just as I was begining to like you!
    Lol.
  • Pink Floyd - dark side of the moon,anything by Eminem,Holst- the planets suite,rolling stones - exile on main street,Duran Duran -Rio,the entire recorded history of the grateful dead and most of anything produced by frank Zappa
    But, in the mainstream, Zappa was never "rated", so can't be "overrated". While, I couldn't disagree more with your view, I can understand that you'd need an attention span somwhat longer than the average of around five minutes.

Anyway, U2 - what a waste of oxygen.
  • London Calling
  • Sponsored links:

• Each to their own but I recall this image of Zappa sitting astride a toilet as the artwork for one of his far too many albums.that summed him up perfectly for me.
  • Totally underrated albums - Daryl hall : sacred songs and the chameleons : any of their first three recordings starting with the script of the bridge
    Agree about the Chameleons.

• Anything by U2
    Completely agree!
  • Never got into the hype of the stone roses or the artic monkeys. However as i don't buy albums where I don't 'get' the initial songs then I can't really judge them. Just not my cup of tea in the first place.
  • The Happy Mondays - Apart from 1, possibly 2 tracks - their tuneless, hamfisted dirges have dated horribly...IMO of course!
    your twisting my melon man
  • Hendrix was overrated. I confess I like it.
  • The Beatles. They are a decent band and wrote a lot of good songs, but no-one ever came close to being over-rated like they did.
    U2, Coldplay, REM, Bruce S. and OK Computer as others have said.

I feel I have to defend Dark Side of the Moon and Different Class though. They are both magnificent albums.
  • Odd one this, because I have never listened to whole albums by artists I don't like. Same as a lot of contributors to this thread, I suspect ;-). But as Michael Jackson is the most overrated artist in history, I will vote for Bad.
  • I don't think Oasis are great, but who hasn't sung along to one of their "anthems" in the pub late at night?

Obviously, this thread is going to divide opinion - I'd beg to differ on a few of the above. For example Dark Side of the Moon's a pretty good album, but I'll admit possibly not as good as Wish You Were Here.
  • Anything by Pink Floyd - Ponce Rock for wannabe university hippies.
    Anything by The Stone Roses - Ian Brown is about as talented as my toe.
    The Smiths and Morrisey, anyone who likes this guff should have their ears cut off. Utter Drivel.
    Sergeant Pepper by The Beatles - Revolver and Rubber Soul are much better albums IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anything by Elvis Presley.
  • I never been able to appreciate Pet Sounds.
  • U2 getting a kicking here and rightly so, in my life I've only ever met one person who said they are a fan, how did they get so big?
  • Alannah Myles by Alannah Myles - Featured an absolute belter of a track in 'Black Velvet' but the rest of the album was absolute cack
  • I agree with almost the entire thread, apart from the ones that got into stuff people don't like rather than stuff that's overrated. I think to make the latter judgement you have to able to see what's good in the album. "Let's Get It On' and 'What's Going On' by Marvin Gaye were both overrated in my view, although you don't hear them touted around as classics as much nowadays as you used to. Talking Heads first two albums ditto. Capt. Beefheart, 'Trout Mask Replica' - I like quirky as much as the next man, but he did better albums.
  • Anything by U2,Beatles,Oasis and Michael Jackson.I know they are big acts but really don't float my boat music wise.
  • It's only Rock n Roll, don't take it too seriously : - )
  • People slating Pink Floyd or the Beatles are perhaps looking at it from the perspective of today, 40 years on.

Maybe some of these albums are sounding dated today and haven't stood the test of time ......but they were totally ground breaking at the time.

• Not gonna get involved in a U2 debate (although yes, Bono is a d'head)...

My nomination: Nirvana - Nevermind.
  • I never been able to appreciate Pet Sounds.
    The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

I've tried giving this a go time and time again over the years. I've actually sat there and analysed, dissected, wined 'n' dined the soddin' thing and STILL haven't a clue why it's held in such high regard. Yeah of course it's got a couple of great tracks on there but this album consistantly appears in polls as one of the finest pieces of work in the history of modern music....and i'm at a complete loss as to why.