Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 21
    MrOneLung said:
    Breathtaking on ITV is a hard watch, but one that should remind us all of the hardship endured by our wonderful healthcare workers in the early days of the pandemic. So many lost their lives, their future health and suffered trauma from watching so many people die unnecessarily. The final part of 3 is on tonight at 9pm. 
    been watching it, but a bit like the Hillsborough programmes, the story and what happened is known and am suffering a bit from misery fatigue
    The Post Office Horizon scandal was also known about, but took a drama series to bring it to wider attention.  It does not hurt to remind everyone of the unnecessary suffering felt by so many as a result of the lack of transparency and care from those who should have done better.

Many will never escape from the misery.
  • Options
    edited February 21
    Breathtaking on ITV is a hard watch, but one that should remind us all of the hardship endured by our wonderful healthcare workers in the early days of the pandemic. So many lost their lives, their future health and suffered trauma from watching so many people die unnecessarily. The final part of 3 is on tonight at 9pm. 
    Knew you would be the first to post about "Breathtaking"  ;)
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    been watching it, but a bit like the Hillsborough programmes, the story and what happened is known and am suffering a bit from misery fatigue
    The Post Office Horizon scandal was also known about, but took a drama series to bring it to wider attention.  It does not hurt to remind everyone of the unnecessary suffering felt by so many as a result of the lack of transparency and care from those who should have done better.

Many will never escape from the misery.
     Didn't watch Post Office one, as I had read about it for years, but I think the reaction to that programme was because a vast majority of people probably were not aware of what happened/was still happening.

Was anyone shocked last night that the hospitals were short of PPE or that probably shouldn't have sent people back to care homes untested etc ?

We all recently lived through it.
    Like I said, just a bit of misery fatigue for me, but we had it on as my wife who is a nurse wanted to watch it.
  • Options
    Watched the latest Sunderland till I die series.
    Good I thought with a very poignant ending.
  • Options
    Finally finished TD Night Country last night.
    Well I loved it and found the ending good which I never saw coming.
    I think there’s always going to be a ‘horror’ angle to anything set in a country that lives in the dark for months on end as it sends people crazy.
    Which is why I love any series/film about it 😂😂
  • Options
    Maybe I've a low attention span, but my 'Continue Watching list' on Netflix grows daily as I give up on more and more shows. 

I watched the first episode of Loudermilk yesterday.  Loudermilk is a grumpy, sweary, ex alcoholic, sobriety councillor - I liked him. I think I might stick with this one.  
    Louder milk is brilliant. I’ve been in those rooms and it’s not far from reality as well😂
  • Options
    Anyone watching the new Apple series "The New Look" about Christian Dior and Coco Chanel? Surprisingly good WWII spy series with a wonderful cast.

Apple seems to have produced some really decent series in recent years, such as Ted Lasso, The Morning Show, Slow Horses, and now Masters of the Air and The New Look which are two series I'm following.
  • Options
    I have just watched all 16 episodes of the Korean drama "The Glory" 

I opted to watch it dubbed in English rather than subtitles and I'm glad I did as it translated really well. 

Superb series, fantastic acting and a really good script. 

The bullying scenes are really brutal and quite harrowing but essential to the story. So many of the actors put in fabulous performances. 

9/10  
  • Options
    Just put on The Jury: Murder Trial. Recreation of a murder trial, but where there are two juries. Seems like an interesting experiment in how jury selection affects how they decide
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just watched Truelove written by the same people as end of the fucking world (which I loved). Interesting concept and very well acted. 
  • Options
    Far from a new series but we’ve just finished watching Friday Night Dinner after our daughter recommended it.

Have to admit I’d never even heard of it but thought it was brilliant. 
    Some really funny scenes in that, Paul Ritter steals every scene he is in 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Far from a new series but we’ve just finished watching Friday Night Dinner after our daughter recommended it.

Except when Mr Morris is in it!
  • Options
    Carter said:

Couldn’t agree more, brilliant portrayal of a dopey dad. 

Always found the next door neighbour an unwelcome distraction from the funny main family.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Always found the next door neighbour an unwelcome distraction from the funny main family.
    He's essential to almost all of the plots (and I think him and Wilson are funny in their own right)
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Anyone watching the new Apple series "The New Look" about Christian Dior and Coco Chanel? Surprisingly good WWII spy series with a wonderful cast.

Apple seems to have produced some really decent series in recent years, such as Ted Lasso, The Morning Show, Slow Horses, and now Masters of the Air and The New Look which are two series I'm following.
    Yes, I'm watching New Look too. Three episodes in. Very good.

Also watching The Offer on Apple+, which is about the making of the Godfather movie. Great cast, cracking pace. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    Carter said:

What about Auntie Val though?? ;)

• Options
    Carter said:

What about Auntie Val though?? ;)

Bloody Val.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anybody see Shogun on Disney yesterday?

We all enjoyed it,, they clearly spent a fair wedge on the sets, a bit graphic at times but the acting is solid. The main character John Blackthorn played by Cosmo Jarvis sounds like Richard Burton. Anyway worth a look. 
  • Options
    Kin was very good I thought. 
    Hope they do a 3rd series.
  • Options
    Just watched BBC2's three part documentary "The Space Shuttle that Fell to Earth". Went to it thinking it would be all techno speak. Actually quite superb film making. We get to know the crew through a day by day video diary made by another astronaut. We hear heart rending stories from the families. And we get another insight into the group think of large organisations and corporations - this time NASA - who don't want to see problems and mistakes, and basically cross their fingers and hope it all turns out right. Tragically, for the crew of seven and their families, it didn't this time round.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Just put on The Jury: Murder Trial. Recreation of a murder trial, but where there are two juries. Seems like an interesting experiment in how jury selection affects how they decide

I'm fascinated by this having done a shed load of Jury Service.  Did you notice tho' that they all have the same clothes on through out the episodes. I can only assume this was filmed in one day, or they are all dirty buggers.
  • Options
    edited February 29
    McBobbin said:

I'm fascinated by this having done a shed load of Jury Service.  Did you notice tho' that they all have the same clothes on through out the episodes. I can only assume this was filmed in one day, or they are all dirty buggers.
    I thought that. But they said the trial lasts 6 days and it was copied word for word. 
    Can only assume they were asked to wear the same? 

Edited to add: as a viewer, we are rapidly introduced to 24 different people on the jury, at a guess if they all wear the same each day it’s easier for the viewer to remember who is who etc. 
  • Options
    Anybody see Shogun on Disney yesterday?

We all enjoyed it,, they clearly spent a fair wedge on the sets, a bit graphic at times but the acting is solid. The main character John Blackthorn played by Cosmo Jarvis sounds like Richard Burton. Anyway worth a look. 
    Looking forward to this as coincidentally re-reading the book. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Carter said:
    As an acolyte of the unparalleled first season (thank you whoever told us the difference between season and series) of True Detective and a hopeful but disappointed viewer of all subsequent seasons I'm intrigued to see where tonight's finale is going to take us. This season has been OK, not in the same league as the first one but better than the other 2. Jodie Foster has acted her socks off along with the young bloke. 
    The whole season started pretty well and then went progressively downhill imo. The plot was far too messy and the whole line between crime drama and horror didn't really work for me.

No spoilers but personally thought the ending was lazy and on the whole crap.

As an aside I thought this was the 5th Season not the 3rd?
    Yep, having watched it now I couldn't agree more 

It was the 4th season. First one was Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaghey, second was Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams and Vince Vaughan, third was Marheshala Ali and Stephen Dorff, then this one 

I do get it is ultimately impossible to live up to how good the first season was but like you say, the writing especially for the ending was bone idle for this season which was a shame 
    Just goes to show, different stokes for different folks.
    Binge watched the first season because of the glowing endorsement from you lot and while I agree the acting by both Matthew and Woody was excellent I can’t quite agree that the whole season was far superior to the Night Country.

In fact I found them very similar.

Do all the other seasons have the same symbol appear? Is this the thing that binds them all together and as such I will need to see them all if we are ever to discover the truth behind it?
  • Options
    Oh and off the back of being disappointed that it didn’t live up to the hype, ain’t no way I’m wasting any more seconds on Schitts Creek!
  • Options
    Started second series of KIN.
    Solid first episode.
  • Options
    Started second series of KIN.
    Solid first episode.
    Watched both seasons over the last couple of weeks, really enjoyed it, was singing to myself when someone got clipped “Kin, Kin, Kinsella, Kin, Kin, Kinsella.”