Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So let me get this right : pitch invasions at the end of a game which included a major achievement.

edited April 2012 in General Charlton
Are they allowed or not ?

What are the consequences to individuals and clubs ?
What if there are a couple of thousand people ?
What if the stewards make no attempt to stop people getting on?
Difference if it is home or away ?

Why are CAFC so definite about not wanting it to have happened at the Wycombe game when we won the League ? Do you think Southampton or Reading were so determined ?

Why are so many of our fans, or at least those who take the effort to post on here, so against it ?

Do you think Southampton and Reading should expect a fine and or ban as a result of their fans enjoyment of their success ?

Comments

• Options
    Anyone no when we last had one i mean thousands on the pitch? even selhurst park one had very few
  • Options
    Anyone no when we last had one i mean thousands on the pitch? even selhurst park one had very few
    The Who?
  • Options
    mum was there said the charlton fans at the concert seemed to retreat to the east terrace
  • Options
    mum was there said the charlton fans at the concert seemed to retreat to the east terrace
    That's Charlton fans for you - pragmatically moving up to the East Terrace with their flasks of soup for a better view. Wouldn't want to get too close to the band - too noisy.
  • Options
    she was smoking skunk so it could have been the covered end
  • Options
    Preston promotion in 76
  • Options
    thousands?
  • Options
    Long time ago nolly but it seemed like it to me
  • Options
    Are they allowed or not ?

No...

What are the consequences to individuals and clubs ?
    Bans and fines
    What if there are a couple of thousand people ?
    Make sure you are not one of those who get caught...

What if the stewards make no attempt to stop people getting on?
    The company that supply the stewards might lose the contract and maybe individual stewards will lose their jobs?

Difference if it is home or away ?
    So?

Why are CAFC so definite about not wanting it to have happened at the Wycombe game when we won the League ?
    This should be about allowing the team to celebrate a great season, why run on the pitch and spoil it for everyone? Or do you want to the centre of attention?

Do you think Southampton or Reading were so determined ?
    Both teams had just won something, just as we had at Carlisle, regardless two wrongs and all that.

Why are so many of our fans, or at least those who take the effort to post on here, so against it ?

Do you think Southampton and Reading should expect a fine and or ban as a result of their fans enjoyment of their success ?
    Who cares? Whether you approve of the rule or not just enjoy the moment, our first promotion in ages, a great season and I can't see why anyone would want to run on the pitch delay the celebrations for everyone and possibly get the club in trouble.
  • Options
    Paddy Powell doesn't seem to like anyone going on it, not even the players, and he always keeps a sharp eye on those pesky mascots. I reckon he'd have barbed wire round it given the chance!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we clinched promotion at home I reckon we might've seen one at the valley.

It's a bit harder when you have two tier stands though.
  • Options

Agreed. I think if the Carlisle game had been at home there would have been one. The atmosphere up there was electric after we scored right through to the end.

• Options

Harder, but not impossible. Leg it out from the top tier and back into the lower tier. There won't be any stewards to stop you - they'll all be around the edge of the pitch by then!

(NB. I am NOT advocating this by the way, just pointing out the logistical possibilities! ;o) )

• Options
    Would you rather try and mob the team amongst thousands of other people, or see them parade the trophy around the ground at the end of the game ?
  • Options
    personally i find watching from afar the team going round clapping nothing to exciting but it is what it is
  • Options
    There's a lot of steward jobs available next season at Reading and Southampton then as they made no attempt to stop people gathering behind the gates and then let everyone on.

• Options
    All this talk about the club getting in trouble and all the rest of it - absolutely rubbish.

What are they going to do - revoke our promotion? Give us a ten point deduction? The worst we would get is a very small fine.

The warning ahead of the Wycombe game was just typical Charlton being overly sensible to be honest.

Seeing the scenes at Saints, Reading etc did make me a bit disappointed that we didn't have something as epic as that, when infact we should have had against Wycombe.
  • Options
    I make you 100% spot on Tom
  • Options
    Would you rather try and mob the team amongst thousands of other people, or see them parade the trophy around the ground at the end of the game ?
    I was talking about Wycombe

• Options
    All this talk about the club getting in trouble and all the rest of it - absolutely rubbish.

What are they going to do - revoke our promotion? Give us a ten point deduction? The worst we would get is a very small fine.

The warning ahead of the Wycombe game was just typical Charlton being overly sensible to be honest.

Seeing the scenes at Saints, Reading etc did make me a bit disappointed that we didn't have something as epic as that, when infact we should have had against Wycombe.
    Like I said, I think we would have done if we were at home when we clinched it and not away at Carlisle. It's all about spontaneous emotional outpouring and there was plenty of that up there. Both Reading and Southampton clinched it at home. When we played Wycombe at home we had already clinched promotion. Still exciting, yes, but the elation was let out the previous week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    doubt it 76 last time
  • Options
    This is only my personal opinion of course, but I think there is a big difference between a spontaneous pitch invasion because the team has just achieved something important (e.g. scoring to clinch promotion in the last 10 minutes of a game), and pre-planning one in advance just because said achievement didn't happen at home. An invasion next Saturday would just feel completely wrong to me (almost 'plastic'). I can't comment on the atmosphere at Wycombe as unfortunately I was out of the country, but I can't help but wonder whether the 'peak' of the emotion was at Carlisle - we had the pitch invasion then, can we not just put this to bed now?

I also think that, regardless of personal opinions which everyone is entitled to, the club have specifically asked us not to invade the pitch, and given what they have achieved this year, we should respect that.
  • Options
    ffs we have no history of invading pitches properly its a pointless discussion
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    even swindon who were already promoted had the personality to have one today when they won and became champions.....

we just haven't got enough fans with the raw passion and ooooomph to carry out a proper pitch invasion
  • Options
    Jodaius
    9:38PM
    This is only my personal opinion of course, but I think there is a big difference between a spontaneous pitch invasion because the team has just achieved something important (e.g. scoring to clinch promotion in the last 10 minutes of a game), and pre-planning one in advance just because said achievement didn't happen at home. An invasion next Saturday would just feel completely wrong to me (almost 'plastic'). I can't comment on the atmosphere at Wycombe as unfortunately I was out of the country, but I can't help but wonder whether the 'peak' of the emotion was at Carlisle - we had the pitch invasion then, can we not just put this to bed now?

I also think that, regardless of personal opinions which everyone is entitled to, the club have specifically asked us not to invade the pitch, and given what they have achieved this year, we should respect that.
    Bang on.

But let Tom be a plastic
  • Options
    even swindon who were already promoted had the personality to have one today when they won and became champions.....

we just haven't got enough fans with the raw passion and ooooomph to carry out a proper pitch invasion
    What absolute rubbish! The Club has asked us not to invade and we should respect that. What is so clever about running on a pitch? It has nothing to do with personality, just a load of people who think they can do what they like and are above the law.
  • Options

What absolute rubbish! The Club has asked us not to invade and we should respect that. What is so clever about running on a pitch? It has nothing to do with personality, just a load of people who think they can do what they like and are above the law.
    I'm on oohaah's side. Many of our fans aren't passionate in their actions (as opposed to their minds).
    Many can't even sing a song, cheer, or manage to clap their hands or stand up, so to expect them to run onto the pitch, is a step too far.
    The truth hurts.
  • Options
    To be fair, we do seem to have a higher proportion of older fans. No less passionate or valuable of course, but they'd just never make it down the steps in time.
  • Options
    Some people just don't get it! IT IS NOT ALLOWED FOR FANS TO GO ONTO THE PITCH!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Sometimes, just sometimes, you have to let go and live a little. As long as there is no damage and nobody gets hurt, where's the harm?

That said, don't agree with the idea of a contrived pitch invasion for the sake of it. Carlisle was the day, then maybe Wycombe at a push - but for some reason our club laid on loads of extra stewards to deter it against Wycombe, whereas Reading, Southampton, Swindon, etc, didn't seem to bother. Which club is right is really a matter of opinion and not worth arguing about.