Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Farage

edited December 2011 in General Charlton

Having thought he was a complete toss for the last few years, I think he is right in thinking the EC in/out debate is now wide open. Sarcasticzy dismissed our views as if we were a minor player. For the first time, I'm leaning towards the let's get out side. Any one else changing their views on Europe? Name one benefit right now. The money we would save would plug any short term loss of trade issues.

Comments

• Options
    Sex discrimination Act, Equal Pay Act, Working time regulations, ECHR, Schengen Information System. In fact our legal system has been so entwined with European legislative organs and processes for so long, bound in treaties and recreated through precedent, that the hope of 'getting out' now would be like taking out your vital organs hoping to get a few quid for them.
  • Options
    Been hoping to get out for ages!
  • Options
    Sex discrimination Act, Equal Pay Act, Working time regulations, ECHR, Schengen Information System. In fact our legal system has been so entwined with European legislative organs and processes for so long, bound in treaties and recreated through precedent, that the hope of 'getting out' now would be like taking out your vital organs hoping to get a few quid for them.
    There is nothing to stop an independent UK government cherry picking "the good bits" from the EU but rejecting all the dross.

Best of all worlds. Sure it wouldn't be straightforward but not insurmountable.

• Options
    This is actually outside of the EU technically and we were signed up to it (or earlier equivalent) before we joined the Common Market as it was then.
  • Options
    This is actually outside of the EU technically and we were signed up to it (or earlier equivalent) before we joined the Common Market as it was then.
    Equal pay acts in 1963 and 1970, before we joined in 1973, it may have been strengthened since via the EU but I'm sure we would have got there on our own. Norway and the Swiss are part of the Schengen Information System despite not being in the EU.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought this was going to be a thread about a promising young midfielder.
  • Options
    I have voted UKIP a couple of times now, I can't wait to get away from all the freeloaders at Brussels. Although I am not knowledgable on politics generally, I just cannot see how it can ever work with Countries like Greece, Italy, Ireland and Portugal involved, with a whole bunch of other undesireable Countries waiting in the wings. I think that we should have concentrated more on developing a common MARKET ( in the true sense of the word ), and less upon creating the United States of Europe with all the attempts to make all Countries work to their rules. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well Granpa what happened last week has shown that 26 nations are prepared to continue along a path of greater integration and Britain has again signaled it isn't.

We appear to want all the advantages of a single market without the direction of travel that pretty much all the others have signed up to apart from us.

So whatever your view, which is typical of the majority of Brits, the fact is that those of major European countries like France and Germany for example, think differently.

I am a supporter of the EU although not a supporter of everything it does. Britain is isolated more now than ever. For the gung ho little englanders, this is a great position to be in - bashing Johnny Foreigner - yes its us against the world, bulldog spirit etc. Most business people will be dismayed at our isolation - the worst of all worlds - in it but not shaping its direction. No influence over the very thing we were trying to protect - the City. Even now Cameron is saying that they won't block the other 26 using the EU institutions to police the measures that he vetoed.

Cameron's use of the veto was absolutely cack-handed in the extreme. It has played into the hands of the isolationists/little englanders who will be even more emboldened, not bought off. A corollary to this positioning by Cameron is the affect it will have on the hand of Alex Salmond, who will be encourage to push further his Scotland Independent in Europe agenda.

As a Lib Dem (ducks for cover), I am dismayed that my leader allowed this positioning to happen without being directly involved on the night.

There is a day of reckoning coming when we will have an "in or out" referendum - bring it on I say. A real debate about whether our country should remain inside the tent p*ssing out or as UKIP and some Tories want, outside the tent p*ssing in needs to take place and the quicker the better. To that extent at least, Cameron's negotiating folly has perhaps brought that day closer and I welcome that at least.

• Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about a promising young midfielder.
    I think he's a right winger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just when we had the opportunity to make the French English bashing clowns look like idiots this fool stands up..
  • Options

In my view the paucity and lack of substance to Europhile arguments is demonstrated every time they hurl the insult "Little Englander" at anyone who disagrees with them.

They have nothing else.

• Options
    Tend to agree with this. Good and bad on both sides, as always, but valid arguments made by those who object to the relentless and undemocratic expansion of the Common Market / EEC / EC / EU / United States of Europe are met too often with the Pavlovian Little Englander knee-jerk response by those who place their faith in an unrepresentative bureaucracy.

• Options

When and if the EU s own auditors sign off their own accounts - i will perhaps have a little more faith in the institution.

The fact they havent done so for years demonstrates just how corrupt this fatally flawed idea has been for decades.

The initial idea of a common market / free trade idea clearly made a lot of sense - the fact is however that this was a lie from the beginning.

We now have an unelected political elite who want nothing mor than a federal united states of Europe - lets have the honest in / out debate?

No main stream politician will ever want the British people to vote on this issue - perhaps because they dont trust us enough to deliver what they think is right!

Farage can come across as a a fool at times - on this issue however i have to agree with his sentiments

• Options
  • Options

I don't like the EU one little bit, but Farage and co are deluded (or lying) when they say we can stay in the common market but avoid everything else. It's not going to happen.

Also think people seriously underestimate just how (much more) buggered the economy will be when we pull out of the EU. Would make the last few years look like a boom.

• Options
    Just checking this is the Nigel Farage, who through wanting us to be no part of the EU, has claimed over £2m in 'expenses' from the EU ?

Like everything in politics, every man is only in it for himself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

The UK needs out out out of the EEC NOW .. Germany and France in coalition have got what they have wanted since the days of Charlemagne .. a European empire. What Napoleon and Hitler failed to achieve by force of arms, a bunch of 'bankers' has achieved by use of increasingly worthless coins and paper.  The other EEC members are either too small, politically and economically or too broke and corrupt to resist domination by the Germo/Franco axis. The French have always hated us politically speaking and the Germans have always been envious of us. The most prosperous nations in Europe are Norway and Switzerland, neither EEC members. The sting in the tail for England/UK though is that the government needs to invest in manufacturing industries and massive training programmes. This means that there will be no room for stay at home on the playstationers/sit in the pub or park all day drinking cider or puffing dopers, it means people taking a pride once again in being English and working hard for both personal and national pride and good wages once immigration is brought under control.

There you go, problem solved.

• Options
    He is a local in my pub, seems like a decent fella.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The UK needs out out out of the EEC NOW .. Germany and France in coalition have got what they have wanted since the days of Charlemagne .. a European empire. What Napoleon and Hitler failed to achieve by force of arms, a bunch of 'bankers' has achieved by use of increasingly worthless coins and paper.  The other EEC members are either too small, politically and economically or too broke and corrupt to resist domination by the Germo/Franco axis. The French have always hated us politically speaking and the Germans have always been envious of us. The most prosperous nations in Europe are Norway and Switzerland, neither EEC members. The sting in the tail for England/UK though is that the government needs to invest in manufacturing industries and massive training programmes. This means that there will be no room for stay at home on the playstationers/sit in the pub or park all day drinking cider or puffing dopers, it means people taking a pride once again in being English and working hard for both personal and national pride and good wages once immigration is brought under control.

Thanks for solving that little problem Lincsaddick.   NEXT........
  • Options

When you say "being English" could you define that please or shall I just Google it......?
  • Options

Thanks for solving that little problem Lincsaddick.   NEXT........
    My pleasure
  • Options

When you say "being English" could you define that please or shall I just Google it......?
    Dont talk bollocks .. if you dont know what being English and proud of it means .. google will not give you the answer
  • Options
    Oh dear!
  • Options
    I think it might.
  • Options

Dont talk bollocks .. if you dont know what being English and proud of it means .. google will not give you the answer
    Sense of humour FAIL
  • Options

Len Glover.

In my view the paucity and lack of substance to Europhile arguments is demonstrated every time they hurl the insult "Little Englander" at anyone who

disagrees with them.

Bingaddick, I would have said something similar. Also you seem to want to remain within Europe, but can't wait for a referendum which looks very likely to take us out.

• Options
    I like Nigel Farage and have voted UKIP the last few occasions. The video of him tearing into Gordon Brown is classic, very inspirational public speaker.