Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Gary Speed

Comments

• Options

Impossible to fathom what must have been going on in his head. Such a sad loss.

RIP Gary Speed.

• Options
    something else the leeds support at forest for Gary Speed
  • Options
    The thing is nolly Leeds is the only club I truly associated speed with , I know he played for so many but that was his club, his fans, his pinnacle

They loved him from a boy

And we know how loud they can be
  • Options
    amazing tribute to just near sing his all 90 mins,yes his leeds nla
  • Options
    Sorry been out did they do the 11 mins on the 11 minute for him
  • Options
    Yes they did and then they scored
  • Options
    A tragic loss first and foremost to his family. RIP Garry, i hope your demons have set you free.
  • Options
    It must've been very hard for grayson and the club

Hats off to Leeds united and their fans
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Inquest starts today. Let's hope the truth comes out and that it puts an end to all the rumours.
  • Options
    Inquest starts today. Let's hope the truth comes out and that it puts an end to all the rumours.
    I doubt we'll ever hear the full truth. We've no right to know either to be honest.

If some of the tabloid style stories are true though I would hope there are some VERY uneasy tabloid hacks right now..

• Options
    I doubt we'll ever hear the full truth. We've no right to know either to be honest.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I agree on all counts. I just hope his family is left in peace.

• Options
    I'm probably wrong but I thought the idea of an inquest is to determine the cause of death, which we all know was suicide. Does it look for the reasons behind it?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm probably wrong but I thought the idea of an inquest is to determine the cause of death, which we all know was suicide. Does it look for the reasons behind it?
    The inquest is a limited fact-finding inquiry to establish the answers to

who has died,
    when and where the death occurred, and
    how the cause of death arose

information needed by the registrar of deaths, so that the death can be registered, so probably not, Tango

• Options
    The inquest is a limited fact-finding inquiry to establish the answers to

who has died,
    when and where the death occurred, and
    how the cause of death arose

information needed by the registrar of deaths, so that the death can be registered, so probably not, Tango

They need to determine if it was suicide / death by misadventure / accidental etc and therefore there will be some reports into whether he was likely to be involved in something that would lead to death by misadventure or if he was feeling suicidal / being treated for depression. So some things are likely to come out.
  • Options
    Well there appears to be a bit of personal info coming out of the inquest right now.

had mentioned suicide 4 days before and was having marital problems. His poor wife must be living a nightmare.
  • Options
    Can't be nice for her and other family members having it all dragged up again. Hopefully, after this, they can move on.
  • Options
    His wife had locked herself out and spent the night sleeping in her car outside the house. As you say Curb-it - a nightmare for her and the kids.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair it's not taken any longer than a normal inquest of this type., I don't imagine its pleasant for anyone who has to go through. I believe only those who have seen a doctor within the last 24 (I think) and die of a related cause don't have to go through an inquest?
  • Options
    To be fair it's not taken any longer than a normal inquest of this type., I don't imagine its pleasant for anyone who has to go through. I believe only those who have seen a doctor within the last 24 (I think) and die of a related cause don't have to go through an inquest?
    That relates to an autopsy not an inquest
  • Options
    The purpose of an inquest is to determine who the deceased was, when he died, where he died and (the most contentious) 'how' he came by his death. This is given a wide meaning and has been interpreted as 'by what means and in what circumstances'. It is the latter which has often widened the evidence given at an inquest.
    The autopsy (also called a post mortem) does no more than give the mechanical cause of death. For a verdict of suicide to be entered, the jury will have to apply the criminal standard of 'beyond reasonable doubt'. For all other verdicts (except any which would count as homicide) the verdict is the civil standard of 'balance of probabilities'. There are historical reasons for the higher standard for suicide, mainly based on the fact that if such verdict was returned, ALL the deceased's property reverted to the State, leaving dependants destitute.
    Coroners' juries will often try to avoid returning a suicide verdict even nowadays because of the perceived stigma involved.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    The coroner at the inquest into the death of Wales manager Gary Speed has said he cannot be satisfied he intended to kill himself.

Speed's widow, Louise, said his job had put strain on their marriage and told how they had a row the night before he was found dead.

She later found his body hanging in the garage at their home near Chester.

The coroner said "the evidence does not sufficiently determine whether this was intentional or accidental".

Louise Speed said she had gone for a drive after they had words when they returned from a dinner party, but she could not get back into the house.

Four days earlier Speed sent his wife a text talking "in terms of taking his life", but she said she had dismissed it because of their children.

Mrs Speed said he did not leave a note. Det Insp Peter Lawless said his computer and phone were checked for a note, and none was found.

His friend, the former England captain Alan Shearer, who was with him the day before he was found dead, said he had become aware there were issues between the couple.

Shearer, whose family went on holiday with the Speeds, said he told him such issues were normal in a long-standing relationship.

Shearer last saw him at lunchtime on the Saturday before he died, when Speed appeared on the BBC's Football Focus programme.

He said Speed - who played for a number of Premier League clubs, including Leeds, Newcastle, Everton, and Bolton - seemed fine and was laughing and joking.

He got the call with the news of his death the next day. "It just didn't and still doesn't make sense to me," said Shearer's statement.

He also said his friend did not seem worried about anything and told him he would call him the following Monday. He also said he seemed to be enjoying the Wales manager's job.

The hearing was told by the Welsh national team's GP, Dr Mark Ridgewell, that Speed had showed no signs of stress and depression.

Dr Bob Muggleton, the medical officer at Sheffield United - the club Speed managed before taking on the Wales job - told the inquest in Warrington that he had worked with him until 2010 and no mental health issues were raised during that time.

The inquest was told about a dinner party hosted by a friend of Speed the night before he died, when he was in good spirits.

Speed had been pushed in the pool with his clothes on, along with other men, and he had tried to push everyone else in the spirit of good fun.

He had also been talking of booking a Christmas holiday to Dubai.

Robert Bateman, the taxi driver who took the Speeds home, said everything had seemed normal and they were "as normal as they always are".

The inquest was told Speed had alcohol in his blood, just over the UK drink-drive limit of 80mg.

In a statement, Speed's mother Carol said her son had said that there was "no greater honour than to manage his country in the game he loved".

She described him as a "half-empty person" and "certainly no optimist". The phone call from her daughter-in-law was the "worst moment of my life".

Mrs Speed arrived at the inquest in Warrington shortly before it began with a number of family and friends.

The League Managers' Association is expected to release a statement on her behalf after the hearing.

After news emerged of his death, tributes were paid to Speed from around the UK and the sporting world.

Football matches around the country held minute's silences and applause, while fans of his former clubs, including Leeds United, Everton and Newcastle United, left scarves, shirts, photos and flags in Speed's memory.

Tributes were also left at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff City Stadium and Wrexham's Racecourse Ground.

Leeds United fans left tributes to Gary Speed at Elland Road
    The Football Association of Wales announced a memorial international friendly game against Costa Rica in Cardiff, which will be held on 29 February.

He had earned the first of his 85 Welsh caps as a 20-year-old in a friendly against the Central American country in 1990.

The former Premier League star, who had two sons, went on to become Wales' most capped outfield player, captaining his country 44 times and scoring seven goals.

Before becoming Wales boss in December 2010, he enjoyed a distinguished career managing Sheffield United and playing for a variety of top clubs.

Earlier this month Speed's friend and former Wales teammate Chris Coleman was unveiled as the new Wales manager.
  • Options
    Jesus his poor wife. To think her last words to her hubbs may have been cross ones, we all say stuff from time to time but hells teath she cant take em back no matter that they didnt push him over the edge.
  • Options
    Have to say, I love legaladdick's posts. It's very reassuring to get the facts amongst the conjecture.
  • Options
    That's very kind of you to say so Stig. I try and explain because it can be so complex and confusing.
  • Options
    We all have cross words with on another but it must be heart breaking when the last words you have with someone you love is in anger.

My thoughts are with the poor people who he has left behind. Wife, children,parents etc. They must be devastated.

Forget the coward's way out. You have to be a very brave and determined person to take your own life and you must have a very good reason to choose death rather than life.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    absolutely horrific state of affairs his poor wife must be besides her self,

i have always tried to live by the never sleep on an argument or leave on one, but it is not always possible

poor poor Gary and his poor family what a horrific end to a wonderful life
  • Options
    So sad...guess he thought when the wife left home for the car he thought that was her gone?