Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Gary Speed

Comments

• Very sad that he felt he had no other option but to do this.

• Very sad that he felt he had no other option but to do this.

Options are things looked at by someone thinking logically, Gary Speed would not have been.
  • Minutes silence was a proper choker and Given looked in bits.
  • Suicide sometimes feels like the logical 'out' to those with depression. Maybe start a separate thread on that though.
  • Fellow professionals/friends on Five Live saying what a bubbly, grounded person he was . No-one seemingly had an inkling that anything was wrong which makes his sad passing such a shock.

God bless, Gary.

• Terrible, terrible news.

I just hope that the scum tabloids leave well alone and don't go digging into his personal life to do a big expose, my hopes are not high though.

• I have a friend who suffers from depression. Every now and again he wanders off after work or at the weekend and his wife phones round "have you seen .... he went out for a walk a couple of hours ago and hasn't returned". Invariably after a few hours he returns saying only that he just wanted a few hours to himself. But one day I worry that he won't...

• Absolutely stunned and devastated. Like a few other posters i've been close to people who have taken their own life and it really is a horrible, horrible thing to happen. It not only affects those close to you, but also those that didn't even really know you but still think "could i have done something?"

Two things that are kept very hush in football and sport in general i think is homosexuality and depression. This needs to change.
  • Absolutely shocking news. RIP Gary.
  • RIP, shocking...
  • Sponsored links:

• Shay Given looks gutted. Was crying before the game. Massive respect to him and the other players for still playing. Am sure thats what a professional like Garry Speed would've wanted.

• Bellamy has asked not play.fair play
  • Unbelievable!!! So sad. RIP.
  • I have nothing else to add to the comments already made, I am also shocked and saddend...............RIP Sir.........my condolonces to his friends and family...........god bless.
  • the clip the bbc are using is one of him scoring at the valley couple seasons ago
  • Can't believe it! R.I.P Speedo!
  • I'm in total shock, can't believe it.

R.I.P Gary  
  • Shocking news RIP Gary.
  • RIP
    Gary Speed.

• Tragic. God bless.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am totally in shock, saw the title and thought it must be car crash or something, reading this I'm well and truly shocked.
    RIP.
  • That is so sad, always came across as one of the nice guys. RIP Mr.Speed.
  • edited November 2011

Shocking news. As already said on here, RIP. Very sad.

• Stunned. RIP Gary Speed
  • Opinions are interesting is it wrong that i dont feel sorry for gary speed as he took the cowards way out and left his kids and family to clean up the mess and deal with all that follows.

• saw him yesterday on football focus and thought how much i admired him. really tragic news.

RIP
  • Opinions are interesting is it wrong that i dont feel sorry for gary speed as he took the cowards way out and left his kids and family to clean up the mess and deal with all that follows.

Yes, but maybe we should debate that on a separate thread.

that is certainly a valid view but for him to get to doing what he did shows how completely mucked up in the head he must have been
  • Fair enough KAP10

• Always a shock, Brings back terrible memories.

RIP Gary. I wish I could send my most sincere condolences to his family.