Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic - HALL OF FAME

13»

Comments

• we should definitely get this going if poss

like the idea of selecting key figures right through the clubs history (not players of year)

the idea of only inducting players from 10+ years ago is also worth considering
  • Going through the handbook tonitght, ralph allen 1935 1936 season ,54 games played 48 goals scored... Mr rooney and tevez could only dream of a return like that.
  • You know 5th December 2012 isn't that far away...
  • edited April 2012
    Quick update

There is to be an on-line vote for the new hall of fame. BedsAddick can take the credit for reviving the idea via this thread. Ian Wallis from the Fans Forum took the idea on and now it is going to happen.

The intention is that fans can vote for one player from pre-1950, one from 1950 - 1980 and one from more recent campaigns. This is to avoid "the inevitable bias to the current era that derives from the age profile of the support" to quote Airman Brown. Three more players will be added each season.

More details on the OS in the near future.

Winners will be announced at the POTY do in May and then listed on an honours board at the Valley.
  • Sam Bartram

Derek Hales

Radostin Kishishev Mark Kinsella
  • Great news, but I can't help thinking the hall will get full up very quickly at the rate of three a season. Is it envisaged that there'll become a point when there's less inductees.

My bets on the first three in: Sam Bartram, Derek Hales, Allan Simonsen.
  • difficult to argue against those choices Len, although I might have Rufus edging out Kinsella.
  • Sam Bartram

Derek Hales

Bartram nailed on but tough call 1950 - 1980 I'd have to put Hewie and Peacock in the mix with Killer purely on amount of appearances for the club if nothing else. Depends on the range of dates for the next hall of famer, if 1980 - 2000 Mendonca I suppose.
  • Would love a stature of superclive with his iconic Wembley pose - stand should be named after Curbs.
    That Mendonca statue would look great outside the North Stand 
    Agreed

The North Stand should be officially renamed The Covered End though.
  • Glad this is happening

id vote for Bartram, Peacock, Rufus.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dean Kiely anyone? The man kept us up in the Prem on his own for at least two seasons.
  • Quick update

There is to be an on-line vote for the new hall of fame. BedsAddick can take the credit for reviving the idea via this thread. Ian Wallis from the Fans Forum took the idea on and now it is going to happen.

The intention is that fans can vote for one player from pre-1950, one fro 1950 - 1980 and one from more recent campaigns. This is to avoid "the inevitable bias to the current that derives from the age profile of the support" to quote Airman Brown. Three more players will be added each season.

Winners will be announced at the POTY do in May and then listed on an honours board at the Valley.
    Can you clarify - will it be the same format in future years? Just thinking that Bartram is so obvious for the first one but it would be nice to ensure that other players from that era get recognised in years to come.
  • edited April 2012
    Sam Bartram

Derek Hales

Bartram nailed on but tough call 1950 - 1980 I'd have to put Hewie and Peacock in the mix with Killer purely on amount of appearances for the club if nothing else. Depends on the range of dates for the next hall of famer, if 1980 - 2000 Mendonca I suppose.
    I thought the same as you re Hewie and Peacock but eventually went for Hales as our record goalscorer given that Sam is our record appearance maker.

For me the modern era is where the debate is. I assumed 1980-2010 and chose Kinsella above Mendonca as he came in that little bit earlier, thus charting the rise to the Premiership, as well as helping us win the Championship and establish ourselves as a Premiership club, and (I think) lasted that little bit longer. A difficult choice though and Rufus could equally go into the mix on the grounds I described.

• Quick update

The intention is that fans can vote for one player from pre-1950, one fro 1950 - 1980 and one from more recent campaigns. This is to avoid "the inevitable bias to the current that derives from the age profile of the support" to quote Airman Brown. Three more players will be added each season.

Can you clarify - will it be the same format in future years? Just thinking that Bartram is so obvious for the first one but it would be nice to ensure that other players from that era get recognised in years to come.

My understanding is that yes, it will be the same format with the same three eras year on year but I'm not organising it. Just passing on the report in the programme.
  • The one and only Crown Prince....Stuart Leary.
  • Great News - Thanks to Mr Irving & Ian Wallis for taking the idea forward.

My Two would be Derek Hales & Clive Mendonca
  • Maybe as its the first year they could chuck in the obvious ones, like they did with the uk music hall of fame. Let's face it, the likes of bartram, peacock, killer have to go in there, and I would argue so would the entire fa cup winning squad?
  • If we're naming ends, did Colin Bell ever play for us?
    Am I silly? but I thought that was very funny.

• That Mendonca statue would look great outside the North Stand 
    I'm sure Steve Jones will know someone that can help put this together.
  • I agree with Stig. Also, a hall-of-famer should be someone who stands the test of time, i.e. a cult figure in the clubs history. To ensure this, I'd recommend that a player has to have played for the club at least 10 years ago to be considered to avoid the current POTY being nominated all of the time. Stand up Killer Hales, Robert Lee, Sir Clive Mendonca etc.. Unfortunately I cannot comment on people before this era so a voting panel must consist of fans throughout the ages and perhaps a few club historians.

Colin Cameron 'must surely' be on any panel chosen.

• Sponsored links:

• Bartram, Hales and Mendonca
  • The first 3 inducted into the new Hall of Fame are Bartram, Hales and Mendonca , so no surprises there. Welsh, Peacock and Kinsella came second in their categories and will go forward to next season's vote along with 6 new names. Any ideas ?
  • Firmani , Colin Powell , Rufus.
  • Very difficult to select - I would have put Rufus in there. He only played for Charlton and was a true Charlton legend IMO and a great player who was instrumental in our rise. Rather than induct 3 at a time, I'd rather we work out who qulaifies as a legend and get them in there in one go.
  • This is my thinking:

Certainties

Don Welsh
    Chris Duffy (For that goal)
    Sam Bartram
    Jimmy Seed
    Johnny Summers
    Eddie Firmani
    Stuart Leary
    Keith Peacock
    Derek Hales
    Steve Gritt
    Robert Lee
    John Robinson
    Richard Rufus
    Clive Mendonca
    Alan Curbishley
    Chris Powell

Possibles

Charlie Vaughan
    Mike Flanagan
    Chris Powell (as a player)
    Dean Kiely
    Colin Walsh
    John Humphrey
    Mark Kinsella
  • I meant Colin Powell as a possible - not Chris Powell who should be a certainty
  • Quick question - does anybody have a link to the current hall of fame entries? As in people who have already been put in it over the last few years?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!