Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

HALL OF FAME 2015

It is time to cast your vote for the HOF. Over the last three years we have elected nine Charlton legends to the Hall of Fame, namely messrs Bartram. Welsh, Croker, Hales, Peacock, Leary, Mendonca, Rufus and Powell and their names are recorded on the Honours Board which can be viewed in the Museum. Now we can turn our attention to the 2015 candidates. There are three categories so you get three votes.

From the modern era you have a choice of Mark Aizlewood, Mark Kinsella or Carl Leaburn. and from the period 1950-80 there is John Hewie, Derek Ufton and Phil Warman. The pre 1950 era is more difficult for most of us as Harold Hobbis, Scotty Kingsley and Jimmy Oakes are outside the memories of all but the more mature (over-ripe) supporters. For the HOF to be credible however, we need to record the achievments of all generations. Hobbis played 266 games in the pre war period, Oakes skippered the side during the rise from the Third to the First Division and Kingsley was a massively important figure in the formative years of our great club. Take the trouble to check out the credentials of each candidate and cast your vote on line via http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XDJ2VJV

The winners will be announce at the Player of the Year Dinner on 3rd May.

Comments

• Options
    Kinsella and Leaburn were the only ones I saw play and whilst Leaburn has cult status Kinsella was such an important player in our recent history it has to be him.
  • Options
    Kinsella is a shoe in in that category
  • Options
    It's the following for me:

Kingsley - there probably wouldn't have been a club if it wasn't for him.
    Hewie - 495 matches and played in every position.
    Kinsella - instrumental in securing our place in the Premiership.
  • Options
    Stig said:

That's how I voted too.

Kingsley is arguably the most important person, let alone player, in the club's history.
  • Options
    Kinsella
    Ufton
    Oakes
  • Options
    Is there a list anywhere of all CAFC Hall of Fame members from all years, please?
    The full list of players inducted into the Hall of Fame?
  • Options
    Yes, in the opening line of the opening post. ;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Stig said:

Yes, in the opening line of the opening post. ;-)

Thank you, Stig - very helpful, LOL!

I was just wondering where names such as Dean Kiely, Mike Flanagan, Bob Bolder, John Robinson, Bob Curtis, even Shaun Newton and numerous others.

What are the qualifying criteria, please?
  • Options
    Flanagan a glaring omission from the current lists.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The HofF was launched 4 years ago by Killerjerrylee on behalf of the fans forum following a suggestion by @Bedsaddick on here.

Every year there has been a vote identical to this year's ie three names from the three eras.

The three winners go into the H of F. The runners up live to fight again the next year (Kind missed out to SCP last time).

Over time more and more players will be added if fans vote for them.

The thinking was that, as KJL explained, to include players from all eras not just those more recent that we remember.

Some fans won't have heard of Kingsley, Ufton or even Warman but that is partly the point. There will be profiles of all nine in the programme to help people pick.

Dozens and dozens of names that could and will be added, including those above, overtime.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thank you for the explanation, Henry.

Shame we can't increase the numbers - I'm getting on a bit now!

Was just thinking of Brian Kinsey and his goal at The Valley, was it a lovely sunny afternoon in August 1969,when he hit a sweet left footed drive from 25 yards in front of 35,000 fans against Millwall (we lost 3-4) - according to Wikipedia Kinsey played 418 times for CAFC, just another example.

• Options
    I believe that previous years nominations looked like this:

Screenshot 2015-04-05 16.51.07

I hope that Kinsella gets it this year. Not only because he deserves it (as do all the nominees), but because the number of nominations he's had is beginning to look like desperation if he has to be nominated again.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Just came home and read the various postings since I started this thread earlier today. Of couse there are dozens of worthy candidates and in time there will surely be places found for Flanagan (he was nominated the second year), Robinson, Kiely, Bolder and Curtis. Not forgetting of course Firmani, Kiernan, Vaughan, the great Norman Smith, Bailey, Lee, Johnson, Berry, Lock, and yes, for definite Brian Kinsey. Part of the fun is to let people vote for their favourites, and now with the museum up and running, we will be able to feature the new HOF entrants in detail so that later generations can learn about and appreciate the heroes of the past and they not be forgotten. Call in at the museum and learn exactly who Scotty Kingsley was and what he achieved for Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Snap
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Stig said:

Snap
    Me too. I think kinsella is my favourite all time player
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Stig said:

Snap
    Voted for these 3 also.
  • Options
    How can Kinsella not be in their already
  • Options
    Because three years running he has been beaten into second place by first Mendonca, then Rufus and last year by Chris Powell. If you think this should be his year, cast your vote !!!
  • Options

Just came home and read the various postings since I started this thread earlier today. Of couse there are dozens of worthy candidates and in time there will surely be places found for Flanagan (he was nominated the second year), Robinson, Kiely, Bolder and Curtis. Not forgetting of course Firmani, Kiernan, Vaughan, the great Norman Smith, Bailey, Lee, Johnson, Berry, Lock, and yes, for definite Brian Kinsey. Part of the fun is to let people vote for their favourites, and now with the museum up and running, we will be able to feature the new HOF entrants in detail so that later generations can learn about and appreciate the heroes of the past and they not be forgotten. Call in at the museum and learn exactly who Scotty Kingsley was and what he achieved for Charlton Athletic.

Thank you for a very positive response.
    Look forward to visiting the museum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is there any chance those already inducted in the Hall of Fame in 1994 and then all those that were chosen (one each year) at the Back to The Valley Dinners for many years after 94 be included in the list.

Is seems a shame that greats like Curbs and Lennie (those are two are can think of off the top of my head who were previously chosen) who have already been chosen but are now not included
  • Options
    Still time if you have not voted. Just click on http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XDJ2VJV for your three votes. One candidate is way out ahead but no clear winner from the others. The three new names in the Hall of Fame will be announced at the Player of the Year Dinner on 3rd May.
  • Options
    i've voted kinsella only,as i'm not qualified for the other era's.
  • Options
    Any chance of adding Hans Jeppson to the older category?
  • Options
    Hans Jeppson is surely a contender, but who do we vote in first when there are Firmani, Bailey, Duffy, Summers and an almost endless list of Charlton Greats ? The point of the HOF is that it makes us think back and by showing the Roll of Honour in the Museum we are permanently acknowleging the heroes of the past for the benefit of the supporters of the future. All the greats will appear eventually, but the fun is prioritising the order.

Grantaddick should feel free to vote in all three categories even if his personal memory does not reach back that far. Few of us (me included) saw Harold Hobbis or Jimmy Oakes play for Charlton and probably nobody alive would remember Scotty Kingsley. Read about them and assess their contributions to this great club. Previous attempts at HOF did not give proper perspective to the past, hence the three categories. That is why we will not include anyone until a minimum of five years after they leave the club. Will we still feel the same way about Yann and Johnnie J in five years time ? Probably, but others and Nicky Bailey comes to mind, were heroes one day and get booed the next.

Make sure you vote for this year's candidates and remember, this is much more important than the General Election.
  • Options
    Ok, I wasn't sure how the candidates were selected, and really put up Hans Jeppson in the hope of jogging someones memory next year. Have now voted. Thanks for doing this, its so important
  • Options
    Just over a week left to cast your votes