Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic - HALL OF FAME

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
I have noticed that quite a few clubs have a Hall of Fame where they enduct a club legend at home games . I cannot recall us ever having one and I think it would be a nice thing for the club to do and for the fans to show some appreciation to some of the great ex players that have worn the shirt. Perhaps it could be a Charlton Life Hall of Fame ?
Anybody else think it's a good idea?

Comments

• we did for the centenary
  • yes great idea ,personally i would love to see something special for clive mendonca
  • we did for the centenary
    I was thinking more of an official ongoing Hall of Fame.
  • http://www.cafctv.co.uk/page/centenaryawards/0,,10267,00.html

Though I think there is or was an on-going Hall of Fame as new people were added at various points.
  • yes great idea ,personally i would love to see something special for clive mendonca
    name the east stand after him? east west and covered end still to be named, north would have to be someone very special, derek hales end sounds great tho.
  • i see him far more a legend than hales Adam imo
  • It
    http://www.cafctv.co.uk/page/centenaryawards/0,,10267,00.html

Though I think there is or was an on-going Hall of Fame as new people were added at various points.
    It does not seem to be very ongoing.
    Perhaps it needs a complete revamp ?
  • i see him far more a legend than hales Adam imo
    It depends on your era. Hales will always be my top Hall of Famer - They don't make them like Killer any more.
  • the man could score thats for sure but the teams he played in were usually mid table
  • i thought the north because it fits in with killer, its loud rowdy and probably where the most beer gets sunk on a matchday, i never saw killer play apart from the odd chairty match after he had hung up his boots, i just think derek hales and the north stand go hand in hand thats all, a perfect match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hales will always be my top Hall of Famer -
    Above Keith Peacock?
  • Yes. Peacock Retired just as I started watching Charlton.

• Though I think there is or was an on-going Hall of Fame as new people were added at various points.
    It does not seem to be very ongoing.
    Perhaps it needs a complete revamp ?

Something else that went by the wayside as the fans stopped making an active input into the Club perhaps?

Anyway, I rang Ian Wallis who is on the Fans Forum.  He too had a vague memory of there already being a Hall of Fame.  He is going to look into it and bring it up at the next Fans Forum meeting in a couple of weeks time.

Maybe it can be lined in with the player of the year do that the Fans Forum run so well now and which is where I think it was before.
  • Nice one Henry.
  • maybe the stands could be individually sponsored

something like the derek hales fosters stand for example

the greenwich council quadrant

sam bartram had an entrance (no puns intended) 

• What would we call the South stand?

:- (
  • The Alan Pardew urinal....
  • or the Dowie Dunnie

sponsored by an appropriate sanitaryware manufacturer 
  • edited October 2011
    yes great idea ,personally i would love to see something special for clive mendonca
    the man could score thats for sure but the teams he played in were usually mid table (on Hales)
    In  my opinion Mendonca is THE most important player in the entire history of CAFC. Without him the club would never have reached the Premier League and the 'glory days' under St Llewellyn would just never have happened.
  • edited October 2011
    Hope this is re-instated as Francis deserve all the plaudits.

Maybe we could name the club shop after him as I often walk away from there thinking I never got value for money and it never lives up to its potential.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2011

• edited October 2011

• edited October 2011

• I have noticed that quite a few clubs have a Hall of Fame where they enduct a club legend at home games . I cannot recall us ever having one and I think it would be a nice thing for the club to do and for the fans to show some appreciation to some of the great ex players that have worn the shirt. Perhaps it could be a Charlton Life Hall of Fame ?
    Anybody else think it's a good idea?
    Excellent idea.
    Be happy to help out with any photography and design  needed.

the man could score thats for sure but the teams he played in were usually mid table (on Hales)
    In  my opinion Mendonca is THE most important player in the entire history of CAFC. Without him the club would never have reached the Premier League and the 'glory days' under St Llewellyn would just never have happened.
    You are only looking at the recent history of the Club, which is notbthe point.

• Personally i'd like to see a stand named after Rufus. Local lad, grew up through our youth system, captained the side, wore his heart on his sleeve, was there throughout our Premiership years and was one of the best players never to get capped for England at that time. 

Also and most importantly the chant of the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire could be used once again!
  • edited October 2011
    yes great idea ,personally i would love to see something special for clive mendonca
    Would never underestimate the contribution Mendonca made and he has to be in a Hall of Fame if he isn't already but we had "glory days" before 1998.

Bartram and the rest of the 30s double promotion side, the cup winning team, Jim Melrose and the 85/86 side that took up back to the top flight for the first time in 30 years plus the like of Kinsella, Hunt, Kiely and even Chris Powell.
  • But unlike you Henry, we wern't around to see it. ;-)
  • What would we call the South stand?

:- (
    The Alonso/Seed Stand?
  • edited October 2011
    I'm sure there is a Hall of Fame already, as I seem to recall you could buy special framed pictures of the inductees. There were six I think.

I have the Killer one....I'm sure Robert Lee was another. Stuart Leary & Keith Peacock as well.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!