Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic - HALL OF FAME

Comments

• agree people like peter shirtliff and that great team who beat leeds deserve to be in the hall of fame,my greatest memory of those days was Garth Crooks standing up to the leeds bullys and holding his own,that man was tougher than he looked.
  • But mendonca was a cut above most,something uncharlton about him
  • But mendonca was a cut above most,something uncharlton about him
    When he was through on goal there was a feeling that he would always score, Darren Bent was similar, very uncharlton!
  • Killer
    But mendonca was a cut above most,something uncharlton about him
    When he was through on goal there was a feeling that he would always score, Darren Bent was similar, very uncharlton!
    Killer was just the same.
  • I like the idea, but hate that phrase "Hall of Fame".  It's just too LA, too Sammy Davis, too Major League Grid Ice Basket.  Frankly if we are going to call it that, we should go all the way and call ourselves Charlton Redsoxs Soccer Cub.  What about honouring our old boys in a more English way with a "Panel of the Passable", an "Album of Adequates" or a "Room of Remembrance"?
  • If we're naming ends, did Colin Bell ever play for us?
  • I like the Richard Rufus scenario - Gave 100% every time - very underated and a 1 club professional and served Charlton well and got his first goal for the club at the most crucial time in recent history !
  • Killer
    But mendonca was a cut above most,something uncharlton about him
    Killer was just the same.
    Different level maybe - but I get the same feeling with BWP.
  • I like the Richard Rufus scenario - Gave 100% every time - very underated and a 1 club professional and served Charlton well and got his first goal for the club at the most crucial time in recent history !
    RR is one of my all time faves.  I'd love to see him honoured in some way by the club.  But I think this sums up a very real problem with using the word "fame".  Despite everything he did for the club, I don't think he's that famous.  If you stopped someone in the street and asked them to name someone who's played for Charlton, I bet they wouldn't say Rufus.  Perhaps Hall of Greatness would be better.

• You're right Stig he isn't famous.....he's infamous! ;)

Someone on the street who knew about football is more likely to say Darren Bent than Rufus to be honest. BUt if you ask them have they heard of Rufus and they knew football, my guessing is they would have heard of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• You're right Stig he isn't famous.....he's infamous! ;)

Someone on the street who knew about football is more likely to say Darren Bent than Rufus to be honest. BUt if you ask them have they heard of Rufus and they knew football, my guessing is they would have heard of him.

I suspect most people would say "didn't he play with Chaka Khan?"
  • There was a CASC hall of fame, players where put into it at the Back to The Valley dinners each year.
  • Gerry, have you got any more info. I quckly scanned some yearbooks but couldn't find any mentions.

Would be useful if the HoF is to be revived
  • I have read all your thoughts carefully, and it seems to me that you either have to stick just with the Player of the Year board, or produce a very long Hall of Fame which allows for outstanding people from every decade. At my age that would have to include players from the FA Cup winning era, on through players like Hewie, Leary, etc on to the present time. A bit unwieldy in my opinion, but perhaps we need a bit of creative thinking.
  • Johnny Summers would have to be in there?
  • I have read all your thoughts carefully, and it seems to me that you either have to stick just with the Player of the Year board, or produce a very long Hall of Fame which allows for outstanding people from every decade. At my age that would have to include players from the FA Cup winning era, on through players like Hewie, Leary, etc on to the present time. A bit unwieldy in my opinion, but perhaps we need a bit of creative thinking.
    I think it needs to be separate to the Player of the Year.  I don't mean any offence when I say this, but if you include the likes of Nicky Bailly, Christian Dailly and Jose Semedo, you are watering it down to the point of making it meaningless.  I'm not decrying what they did for us, but the PotY award is all about being better than your peers in a single season.  It is not about consistency over a longer period, rising to a level of greatness that makes them stand out from the crowd or doing something so amazing that it has a long term impact on the club.  Johnny Summers, John Hewie and Albert Mills are all better contenders to be recognised that Bailey, Dailly and Semedo but have never won Player of the Year.  

Obviously there's a difficulty with the older players as the further you go back, the less people have seen them.  It gets to the point where only those people who go out of the way to read/talk about the club's history know about them.  I think the club has worked wonders in planting the name of Sam Bartram into every fan's head.  Even the very young will have a good idea of what he did and why he is so important to us.  Any "Hall of Fame" (if it must be called that) should be used to help people understand what some other old timers did, not just give another accolade to people in our recent history who have already been recognised.
  • Agree with Stig.

Stig for Chair of the new Hall of Fame committee (I'm being serious)
  • edited October 2011
    Would love a stature of superclive with his iconic Wembley pose - stand should be named after Curbs.
  • That Mendonca statue would look great outside the North Stand 
  • Sponsored links:

I think it needs to be separate to the Player of the Year.  I don't mean any offence when I say this, but if you include the likes of Nicky Bailly, Christian Dailly and Jose Semedo, you are watering it down to the point of making it meaningless.  I'm not decrying what they did for us, but the PotY award is all about being better than your peers in a single season.  It is not about consistency over a longer period, rising to a level of greatness that makes them stand out from the crowd or doing something so amazing that it has a long term impact on the club.  Johnny Summers, John Hewie and Albert Mills are all better contenders to be recognised that Bailey, Dailly and Semedo but have never won Player of the Year.  

Obviously there's a difficulty with the older players as the further you go back, the less people have seen them.  It gets to the point where only those people who go out of the way to read/talk about the club's history know about them.  I think the club has worked wonders in planting the name of Sam Bartram into every fan's head.  Even the very young will have a good idea of what he did and why he is so important to us.  Any "Hall of Fame" (if it must be called that) should be used to help people understand what some other old timers did, not just give another accolade to people in our recent history who have already been recognised.
    agree with all this ....whilst mendocas was a star that that shone brightly it shone briefly compared to other players over the years 
  • That Mendonca statue would look great outside the North Stand 
    Absof*ckinglutely!
  • Mendonca statue?  But this is someone who couldn't even win a Player of the Year award.  [ducks for cover]
  • I agree with Stig. Also, a hall-of-famer should be someone who stands the test of time, i.e. a cult figure in the clubs history. To ensure this, I'd recommend that a player has to have played for the club at least 10 years ago to be considered to avoid the current POTY being nominated all of the time. Stand up Killer Hales, Robert Lee, Sir Clive Mendonca etc.. Unfortunately I cannot comment on people before this era so a voting panel must consist of fans throughout the ages and perhaps a few club historians.

• edited October 2011
    a graphic that I was working on a while back ......
    it is a bit fuzzy as it is a 'screen grab' 
  • lets be frank without clive we would not have won the play offs every player done there bit but he done far more
  • even his celebrations were uncharlton.
  • while waiting for the Charlton hall of fame please vote for super Clive in this hall of fame
  • lets be frank without clive we would not have won the play offs every player done there bit but he done far more

True, and without his goals we wouldn't even have gotten into the play-offs let alone Wembley.

IIRC we were joint favourites at the start of the season --- for relegation.

• Keith Peacock's service to the Club would put him light years ahead of Mendonca when it comes to a statue or naming a stand?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!