Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great Films that not many people have seen

Comments

• Options
    Metropolis ... the original Fritz Lang version
  • Options
    The Warriors
    Nobody I knew in it; didn't expect to like it, but great entertainment.

Not too sure of the rehash done inabout 2003 more cashed in on the comic book film explosion and gets rid of the hillarously bad editing between scenes.
  • Options
    Hunger is another great film about the troubles and the hunger strikes.

Like the Christian bale in the machinist the guy lost unbelievable amounts of weight.
  • Options
    Synecdoche New York and Lars And the Real Girl are two great films for anyone interested in psychology. They're slow stories but they're absolitely brilliant
  • Options
    Black cat White Cat - East European chaos and crazy brass bands.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    The Warriors is a classic.

Anybody listening to 6 music now, they're playing Can You Dig It by PWEI which samples the immortal line from The Warriors. Can....You... Dig It!!!!!!
  • Options
    King of Kong. A documentary about two duelling Donkey Kong players as they seek to assert themselves as the best DK player in the world.

It's unreal. Hilariously geeky characters and "Billy Mitchell", the anatagonist, is such a comic creation that it's hard to believe he's a real person. Highly recommend. 8.2/10 on imdb (for those of you who are into that.)

Excellent shout.  Billy Mitchell's chicken shop :-)

How about Once Were Warriors - a violent tale of disintegrating Maouri families

Goodbye Lenin - an old lady in East Berlin recovers from a coma after the wall has come down.  As she is fragile and a dedicated party member her family try to pretend that communism hasn't collapsed creating their own news reports and other whacky things.

The Lives of Others - East Germany again and a laugh a minute story about a government agent begining to doubt the system he has always supported.

• Options
    The Heist - crime caper with Gene Hackman. more twist & turns than a rollercoster. Phase iv (4) - 1970's thriller about ants ! Re Woody Allen. Surely best bit of "take the money & run" is when he is trying to rob the bank and they argue over his ransom note............classic.

Bank Teller #1: Does this look like "gub" or "gun"?
    Bank Teller #2: Gun. See? But what does "abt" mean?
    Virgil: It's "act". A-C-T. Act natural. Please put fifty thousand dollars into this bag and act natural.
    Bank Teller #1: Oh, I see. This is a holdup?

Virgil: After fifteen minutes I wanted to marry her, and after half an hour I completely gave up the idea of stealing her purse.

Louise: He is always very depressed. I think that if he'd been a successful criminal, he would have felt better. You know, he never made the 'ten most wanted' list. It's very unfair voting; it's who you know.

Louise: He'd have the gang over for a meeting and I'd put out a little tray of pretzels and bullets... I had to. He's my husband

At last someone else who's seen it!!!!

• Options
    Bad Boy Bubba.
  • Options
    All copies of Sex Lives Of The Potato Men should be destroyed. It's offensive, unfunny, and should never, ever turn up on a 'hidden gems' thread. And a Steven Spielberg movie turning up on this list is pretty funny too. 

Unthinkable is frikkin hilarious. It's such a low-rate, cheap, badly acted thriller with a really poor plot. It is so bad it barely even got a DVD release. Sam L Jackson's been phoning in performances for ages, and this as bad as any of the Iron Man cameos. His character disarms and ties up two Feds (off-screen cos the stunts would be too much hassle)...even though he's in a cardigan and reading glasses. Lazy, horrible filmmaking with actors looking for a quick and easy pay day. 

Bad Boy Bubby, I believe it is called, is one of the strangest films you'll ever see. Apart from Gummo. 

I'll second: Dead Man's Shoes, The Machinist, The Host, Eastern Promises (but prefer a History Of Violence), Tell No One, King of Kong and Red Rock West. 

And I'll add: The Pledge (Jack Nicholson drama with a great twist), Breakdown (Kurt Russell's wife goes missing and the brilliant JT Walsh messes with his mind) and Appaloosa (Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen in the best Western since Unforgiven). 

In terms of foreign cinema, Memories Of Murder (by the guy who made The Host, but very, very different), Secret In Their eyes (naturally) and Oldboy (it's just nuts). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two of Peter Jackson's early films are well worth a look.

Bad Taste -  A spoof sci fi/zombie film with more laughs than blood (and there's gallons of that).
    Heavenly Creatures - True story of two New Zealand schoolgirls killing one of their mothers.  Put in the haunting/moving category.
  • Options
    room for romeo brass
    le donk and scorzayzee
    eagle vs shark
    also, sex lives of the potato men and lesbian vampire killers
  • Options
    Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and the other 2 in the series
  • Options
    Gummo is a great, if slightly warped film

Requiem for Dream is pretty good as well
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    http://youtu.be/6UFlWO5zhO8

Departures - A fantastic movie
  • Options
    Gummo is a great, if slightly warped film

Requiem for Dream is pretty good as well
    Requiem For A Dream is disturbing but a great film all the same.

Room For Romeo Brass is another Shane Meadows film I really like, not as menacing as Dead Man's Shoes though.
  • Options
    The Heist - crime caper with Gene Hackman. more twist & turns than a rollercoster. Phase iv (4) - 1970's thriller about ants ! Re Woody Allen. Surely best bit of "take the money & run" is when he is trying to rob the bank and they argue over his ransom note............classic.

Bank Teller #1: Does this look like "gub" or "gun"?
    Bank Teller #2: Gun. See? But what does "abt" mean?
    Virgil: It's "act". A-C-T. Act natural. Please put fifty thousand dollars into this bag and act natural.
    Bank Teller #1: Oh, I see. This is a holdup?

Virgil: After fifteen minutes I wanted to marry her, and after half an hour I completely gave up the idea of stealing her purse.

Louise: He is always very depressed. I think that if he'd been a successful criminal, he would have felt better. You know, he never made the 'ten most wanted' list. It's very unfair voting; it's who you know.

Louise: He'd have the gang over for a meeting and I'd put out a little tray of pretzels and bullets... I had to. He's my husband

At last someone else who's seen it!!!!

I thought everyone had seen it? I love Woody Allen's films, especially the early funny ones.
  • Options
    Run Lola Run is a great film as mentioned above.

I recently watched The Devil's Backbone which is brilliant, it's the same director as Pan's Labyrinth which is also a must see if you haven't.
  • Options
    Oh and BASEketball, silly boy humour from the makers of South Park.

Another shout out for Dead Man's Shoes and King of Kong.
  • Options
    Betty Blue
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Everything is illuminated.  Elijah Wood.   needs two viewings......

• Options
    final cut
    love, honour and obey
  • Options

The power of one, set in south africa with Morgan Freeman and features a very young Daniel Craig.

Murder in the first

A time to kill

• Options
    A couple of older films (as I'm a bit older) that our younger readers may not have seen:

Bad Day at Black Rock starring Spencer Tracy and directed by John Sturges - a well acted and powerful study of racism and it's consequences in small town America in the immediate aftermath of WW2

The League of Gentlemen - nothing to do with the TV series but a great ensemble British piece about a bank heist planned by a group of disgruntled ex British Army officers

The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp - Anton Wallbrook, Deborah Kerr, Roger Livesey - a wonderful story of friendship, romance and loyalty that transcends two World Wars and supposed 'enemies'. A great Anti-Nazi advertisement if ever one was needed.

Enjoy!

• Options
    @ Jimmy 85 And a Steven Spielberg movie turning up on this list is pretty funny too. 
    Duel - great film might just fulfil the criteria
  • Options
    I'll add.

Whale Rider. Drama set in a Kiwi tribe after the birth of the next 'chief' turns out to be a girl. Great story, beautiful setting and fantastic performances including an oscar nomination for the 12 year old lead actress.

Blue Collar. A trade-unionist drama/thriller with an amazing performance from the late comedian Richard Pryor, also starring Harvey Keitel. This really is a good film.

• Options
    Debbie does Dallas
  • Options
    Little Miss Sunshine