Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great Films that not many people have seen

Comments

• Options
    I think perhaps Woody Allen deserves a thread of his own.  I'd go for Bananas or Sleeper though.
  • Options
    An Awfully Big Adventure
  • Options
    Good topic. Anyone seen French gangster film Mesrine? Though it was excellent, if long (two DVDs), even though not normally a fan of gangster flicks.

Got it for my birthday a little bt back and watched it over a couple of nights. You simply cannot go wrong with Cassel.

My favourite Woody Allen film is 'Take the Money and Run' which no one else ever seems to have seen. The scene when he plays the cello in a marching band still has me in stitches. Why can't he make good filsm any more???

He does. Match Point and Scoop were brilliant.
  • Options
    A Walk On The Moon - lovely film.
  • Options
    Fandango
    Red Rock West
    Lantana
  • Options
    Flashbacks of a fool with Daniel Craig. Only if you're 45+ and remember Roxy music, Bowie and round collared shirts.....
  • Options
    'My Name is Khan'.
  • Options
    L'Enfant.
    Yesterday saw the Iranian film A Separation. All our politicians should be made to see it to understand why we should stop trying to impose our world view on other cultures who simply don't function like us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sex lifes of the potato men

When ever I say to people have you seen it? They look at me as if I'm making it up!!!
  • Options
    Sorry Terry, but a dreadful film.

9 Queens
  • Options
    The Warriors
    Nobody I knew in it; didn't expect to like it, but great entertainment.

• Options
    Unthinkable.

Samuel L Jackson as an interrogator trying to crack Martin Sheen's terrorist plot.

Great film.
  • Options
    Clerks
    El Mariachi
    Clerks 2
  • Options
    Ne le Dis a Personne - enjoyed that very much, good pace and mystery thriller.
    aka 'Tell no-one'. Completely agree there Pavo- you stole my thunder.

Would also recommend 'Eastern Promises', concerning activities of a Russian mafia set in London, (Vincent Cassel and Viggo Mortensen); was on Channel4 not that long ago.

And 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly', stroke victim who masters communication by eye movement, true story i think. 
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'll second (or third) Dead Man's Shoes if anyone hasn't seen it. Awesome film from start to finish. Others are The Machinist (Chrsitian Bale is mesmerising), Amateur (Hal Hartley's best film by far) and a Korean film called Gwoemul ('The Host' in English) - best monster film I've ever seen.

Eastern Promises was hard going, but worth it
  • Options
    Buffalo 66
  • Options
    The Heist - crime caper with Gene Hackman. more twist & turns than a rollercoster.

Phase iv (4) - 1970's thriller about ants !

Re Woody Allen. Surely best bit of "take the money & run" is when he is trying to rob the bank and they argue over his ransom note............classic.
  • Options
    I must have watched the beginning of The Machinist half a dozen times, but I've not made it to the end yet.  Bale is so convincing as the insomniac, dead on his feet, that it sends me to sleep every time.  The bits I've seen are good though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    King of Kong. A documentary about two duelling Donkey Kong players as they seek to assert themselves as the best DK player in the world.

It's unreal. Hilariously geeky characters and "Billy Mitchell", the anatagonist, is such a comic creation that it's hard to believe he's a real person. Highly recommend. 8.2/10 on imdb (for those of you who are into that.)
  • Options
    I was interested to see Michael Caine being interviewed recently and mentioning Dirty Rotten Scoundrels as one of his favourites, never fails to make me laugh. If you are young enough to have missed The Deer Hunter, give it a try. It shows every emotion from the joy of a family wedding, to the horror of the Vietnam war. Actually if you are that young, you could do worse than catch up with Laurel and Hardy. Classic comedy.
  • Options
    Into the wild.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
     you could do worse than catch up with Laurel and Hardy. Classic comedy.
    Got the complete box set.  It's wonderful.  Given how many comedy programmes from the '70s & '80s look tired and dated, it's amazing how fresh Laurel and Hardy are.  Despite the fact that it's b&w (or colour-added) and that everything is 70+ years old, it still makes my kids laugh like few other things.

Way Out West is their best I think.  
  • Options
    Bronco Bullfrog - You fellas with a love of suede head fashions and that boot boy look of the very early 70's fashion will love it.
  • Options
    Anvil - The story of Anvil - fantastic real life documentary that manages to out do Spinal Tap. You end up with real affection for the band, and their dedication to 'metal'.

Diving Bell and the butterfly - one of the best films ever with an amazing performance by the guy who plays the stroke victim.
  • Options
    The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie - about a group of people who try to have dinner.
  • Options
    Restrepo: film/docu following a squad of US soldiers on a 18 month tour in one of the toughest parts of Afganistan. 
    Was up for a oscar last year for best documentory

this needs to be watched

Trailer..

If you didn't know Tim Hetherington who shot/directed that film was killed while covering the Libyan war.

Wow, I didnt know that.. very sad.
  • Options
    Tampopo, about a japanese woman´s quest to creat the perfect noodle soup. 
    Thanks for the recommendation Red.
    Just ordered a copy from fleabay.

• Options
    my name is bruce, for any living dead fans out there, its a good little film. bruce campbell plays him self and really hams it up very funny and everything you would expect from one of his films on the same note you must watch Bubba-ho-Tep. AWSOME FILM, campbell plays elvis alive and well in an old peoples home with an old black guy claiming to be JFK its funny as hell and good zombies check it out.