Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favorite stand up comedian?

Comments

• Options
    Jim Jefferies
  • Options

Rob Beckett was hilarious at a comedy charity gig in January.

As was Adam Buxton. Genius.

Is Rob Beckett the guy with a mouth like a frog who does the I'm a Celebrity programme? Can't stand him nor Russell Howard. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes.

Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr, Micky Flanagan for me

• Options
    I don't watch I'm a celebrity so have no idea. He's got too many teeth for his mouth, is very smiley, v funny and is from lewisham/mottingham.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

I saw Milton Jones in vauxhall a few mornings back, looked like he was doing the walk of shame and suspiciously near the vauxhall tavern?????

What's wrong with The Vauxhall Tavern? :wink:

See you in the Admiral Duncan on Saturday.

• Options
    DA9 said:

Not a big fan of his, but been listening to some old Richard herring podcasts recently, he interviews other comedians and celebs, quite funny, the Danny baker one is good.

Been listening to these last couple of years, some great stories from the guests, he's a bit marmite, when he's not being weird he has some good stories. the Brendan burns was a but close totthe mark at time but v funny. Coogan, baddies, merchant, milligan, baker, all very good. We'll worth listening to the old back catalogues.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Anyway......
    Milton Jones was terrific.
    Most I've laughed for a few years, my sides actually hurt this morning ('tho that might have also been down to running to the Holly Tree after as well).
    Recommended. Absolutely superb.
    (Milton, and the pub).

Hey Mog, was that the one at Catford on Wednesday? I really enjoyed it too. I love the way he packs so many quickfire gags in, though a few of them were a bit like the jokes from The Beano my son tells me.

Mark of good improviser that he was asking for subjects and making up gags at the end. Two hour show that just whizzed by.

Yes, and I was the fella who suggested #Myothergrandfather...at the end.
    ;-)

• Options

rananegra said:

Anyway......
    Most I've laughed for a few years, my sides actually hurt this morning ('tho that might have also been down to running to the Holly Tree after as well).
    (Milton, and the pub).

Hey Mog, was that the one at Catford on Wednesday? I really enjoyed it too. I love the way he packs so many quickfire gags in, though a few of them were a bit like the jokes from The Beano my son tells me.

Mark of good improviser that he was asking for subjects and making up gags at the end. Two hour show that just whizzed by.

;-)

Also enjoyed the support act, though forgotten his name :blush:
    Think it was Chris Stokes ?
  • Options
    "He's really good live". Something that's said about numerous comics and has been mentioned a few times on this thread.
    But what does it mean? Is it that "he" is rubbish on TV or DVD because they've edited out all the good bits? Or does it just mean that there's more "adult humour" in a live show?
  • Options
    Possibly the difference between a band on record and live, or watching a match in your armchair or being at the stadium? Atmosphere.
  • Options

rananegra said:

Anyway......
    (Milton, and the pub).

;-)

Also enjoyed the support act, though forgotten his name :blush:
    Think it was Chris Stokes ?
    It was. I thought he started poorly but got a lot better.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of the worst comedy performances I've ever witnessed was Phil Zimmerman's compère slot at the No 5 club in Ealing when Arthur Smith topped the bill.
    I've no idea if it was just a bad day at the office for him, but he was obnoxious, aggressive, at times incomprehensible and seemed completely out of his depth.
    For the entire evening, the only reactions he got from the crowd were booing, heckling or silence. And he had no positive response to any of these. It was utterly dreadful.
    The thing is, he appears to be quite influential on the comedy circuit, so maybe he's usually better than that. Some of the other acts that night were ok, but Zimmerman certainly made it bloody difficult for them and even an old hand like Arthur Smith had to work hard to get the crowd back onside.
    Disastrous effort.
  • Options
    Mark Steel
    Rob Newman
    Arthur Smith
    Daniel Kitson
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Really liked Adam Bloom, Frank Skinner and Harry Hill, but my alltime fav was Jasper Carrott from years ago I laughed so much it physically hurt. Another one that suprised me as hes not really a comedian was Paul Daniels son Martin, my favorite .. "My dad was out taking a walk with his stick, or Mum as I have to call her"
  • Options
    Emo Phillips. Weird is good.
  • Options
    I've been watching Jim Jefferies lately. Absolutely blinding, although the easily offended should stay away.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I've been watching Jim Jefferies lately. Absolutely blinding, although the easily offended should stay away.

A mate was telling me about his show in America where he spoke about the Australian reaction to a high school massacre compared with the American reaction, sounded really good.
  • Options

Greenie said:

A mate was telling me about his show in America where he spoke about the Australian reaction to a high school massacre compared with the American reaction, sounded really good.
    Yes indeed although he Fs and Cs he is very clever also his take on USA gun culture is excellent.
    A bloody funny bloke
    Most of his gigs are on YouTube.
  • Options
    Saw Kevin Bridges doing a work in progress at the Soho Theatre last week. Really good.
  • Options

Saw Kevin Bridges doing a work in progress at the Soho Theatre last week. Really good.

Seeing him at a small theatre in Tunbridge Wells tomorrow night.....should be good!
  • Options

Seeing him at a small theatre in Tunbridge Wells tomorrow night.....should be good!
    Trumpy cab fare home pal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw a guy from America about ten years ago in the Comedy Store I think it was. He looked like he was out of Kings of Leon, with long hair and ripped jeans etc. He spoke in a gruff whisper, mic up close to his mouth. Laconic. He was absolutely brilliant. But I've never seen him since and no idea what his name is.
  • Options
    Surprised Bernard Manning ain't had a mention on this thread
  • Options
    Saw Omid Djalili last night at Hammersmith. He was excellent and even took the piss out of Millwall when he was talking about his work with the FA Kick it Out initiative.
  • Options
    Ricky Grover, (him off of Eastenders, apparently) was excellent when I saw him recently. But alcohol may have played a part as excerpts from his shows on you tube I've just been looking at are poor.

Ken Dodd managed a good half hour stand up performance last month, though we did have to sit through almost an 4 hour show to get the 30 mins of brilliance.

The great news is that there is such a plethora of great comedy talent catering to all tastes.
  • Options
    Ed Milliband
  • Options

Saw Omid Djalili last night at Hammersmith. He was excellent and even took the piss out of Millwall when he was talking about his work with the FA Kick it Out initiative.

I saw Omid Djalili last night as well. He was in The Mummy on ITV2. Not a film I like, but he's very good in it - horrible death by scarabs.
  • Options
    I quite like stewart francis, I think he's better than milton jones, who is funny also.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Just got home tonight from seeing Jimmy Carr at The Paladium . He works with the audience really well but i can't say I was in fits of laughter at any stage.
  • Options
    Mickey Flanagan and Frank Skinner are my favs now. Billy Connolly and Ben Elton from yesteryear.
  • Options
    Arthur Atkinson is my favourite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_h0_OUSScc