Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

1787980818284»

Comments

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    Watching my dogs interact with children as young as four in school is something I’ll take to my grave in the form of lovely memories, but watching them interact with children with additional needs and learning difficulties is of the scale. 
    Obviously I’d love to share photos/videos but sadly I can’t or there are none, but nothing in the world can replace a child speaking for the first time, making eye contact for the first time or reading their first book.
    Again on Thursday I was greeted by a young lad with a huge hug who had asked to come out to read, reminding myself four years ago he would run by the Reading station avoiding eye contact and sometimes screaming while on his way to the toilet.
    Now he asks to come out and to be honest Reading is secondary if we get any it’s a bonus but his social skills to me are more important, recognising when to speak to him in school was something I had to learn, stopping and when not to stop as we passed him in the corridors was often an exact science, again something I had to learn. 
    Slowly breaking down the barriers, when to look when not to look when to talk when not to talk over weeks and months and now years have paid back in heaps and there’s not enough money in the world I’d exchange for the breakthrough with that child.

Watching Valli’s interaction with him very closely as I do, she shows no signs of stress she simply loves the attention and often rewards a child with a kiss.
    Although rewarding, I find the whole time I’m there very stressful and often leave the school with the headache from hell, watching my dogs behaviour around the children and also the children themselves I school get to learn if a child is going to take liberties with my dog and strangely only mainstream children are likely to be mischievous rather than those with additional needs in my experience.
    All in in all, I consider myself very privileged to be in the position I’m in and I’m also very aware of the public’s perception of my breed of dog so I’m very protective of our position and don’t allow people who think it’s okay to try to introduce their dog to mine in the street because “it’s the Reading dog” fortunately normally my dog will tell them first to be elsewhere.
    In my 14 years working in Therapy work I never forget they are dogs, they can’t tell me they are feeling crap and are not on their game so it’s up to me to be able to read my dogs behaviour.
    The responsibility lays at the other end of the lead and until people accept that they’ll continue to be incidents like mentioned above.

Blimey! Jimmy Bullard has let himself go!
  • Options
    @cafcfan
    Can I assume your comments are directed towards the 97 year old lady in the latter stages of dementia? 
    If so Why? 
  • Options

You recently signed the petition “Make pet abduction a specific criminal offence”:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/640101

On May 25, the Pet Abduction Act passed into law, creating two new criminal offences of dog abduction and cat abduction in England and Northern Ireland. The offences will have a maximum term of imprisonment of five years, a fine, or both. The Act also provides powers to extend the legislation to cover other pets if necessary. 

Before the Act was passed, there was no legislation aimed at addressing pet theft specifically. Animals fell under the definition of property in legislation, and as such pet theft was dealt with under the Theft Act 1968. Under the new Act, there would be no need to prove that the intention was to ‘permanently deprive’ someone of their pet.

• Options
    Yet ANOTHER brilliant success story from our very own Top Dog !

What a man. 

Proud to know him .
    x
  • Options
    Reported in today's Mirror.

It seem's Batman's Robin, Burt Ward has continued saving lives away from the Bat Cave.  

Boy Wonder received the 'President's Lifetime Award' from Joe Biden for saving thousands of dogs.  Ward and wife began by taking in an abandoned Great Dane in 1990.  Within two years they were caring for 102 Great Danes and 61 puppies.  Since then they have launched their Gentle Giants Rescue and Adoptions site - caring for thousands of large breed dogs.

https://gentlegiantsrescue.com/

Burt is about to launch his Gentle Giants dog food in the UK.  

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    After finishing Reading dog earlier today and saying our goodbyes as we made our way to reception where I sign out, I was advised next years incoming children along with parents were filling the reception area. 
    As reached the last secure doors I could see 50/60 people of all ages filling the reception areas and spilling outside into the car park.
    Staff and children are fully used to seeing our dogs moving about the school but I never assume everyone visiting likes or is not allergic or even fearful of dogs and treat them with the respect they deserve.
    As I open the doors I called out to alert everyone we were coming through, Valli must have felt like a little celebrity as parents and children alike said hello as we walked through, staff advising children/parents not to crowd her and you are welcome to say hi and everyone taking those words on board.
    I’ll always be proud of our dogs achievements but I’ll admit today give an old man a little spring in his step. 

What has Millie done to her arm ?
  • Options
    Fractured it doing gymnastics, she’s got a couple of weeks while the swelling goes before it’s fully plastered for six weeks. 

• Options
    Love it Ray!
    Heal well Millie ❤️