Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++++++Parkinson SACKED+++++++

Comments

• Options
    i believe the new wave of optimisium is because everyone has gone no old hats to be a hinderance,

new broom sweeps clean

i dont care if he loses the first game or the 2nd or the 3rd every manager needs atleast 2 years parky had that and some as assistant
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Parkinson was the right type of character for the Charlton I knew and loved. But that Charlton has been subsumed in an atmosphere of hostility from a vocal minority - both at The Valley and on here. I'm really worried about the future direction of this club now.

weegie, you come across as a very nice lady and i dont wish to upset or offend you, but i have to question what you want to get from going to watch games?...you never like the atmosphere and for the life of me you cant like football being served up. you say parky was the 'right type of character' but football is not about being nicey nicey happy clappy. we are almost at the arse end of the football ladder and i expect to see my club playing teams off the park. parky was never going to be the man to do that....and when we get a man that does, the atmosphere will return with it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]i expect to see my club playing teams off the park. parky was never going to be the man to do that....and when we get a man that does, the atmosphere will return with it.

Are you suggesting VG, the atmosphere will only return once Charlton play teams off the park?

There are plenty of clubs in this division, each who on their day can play teams off the park. But none do it consistantly, not Charlton - and not even clear league leaders Brighton.

Norwich last season won the league head and shoulders above everyone one else.
    But how many times did they play teams off the park?

Teams win promotion by consistantly grinding out results, rather than sweeping aside all and sundry each and every week. It may not always be pretty.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I've been going to the Valley the last 45 years. There have been good times and there have been bad times. That's what you get with supporting CAFC. But Parkinson's brand of football is the main reason why my family haven't renewed our season tickets for the last two years. It's been boring, the man plays one dimensional football and his tactics have been appalling. Not to mention his choice of player!! Whilst I don't like to see people lose their jobs, the whole coaching team had to go for the sake of Charlton Athletic Football Club because everything that had built up over the last 15 years was in danger of being flushed down the toilet. Who do I want as the next manager? I don't care if it's Dennis Wise, to be honest, as long as I get entertained on a Saturday afternoon and feel as if I've come away from the match thinking yep, that was a good match and I've had value for money.

Spot on VMM
  • Options
    Curbishley I think as soon as he was given funds was a fast mover, the sale of Bowyer brought in shortly after Mendonca and a few others that in turn brought promotion, he was just a stabilising force before that.

I also think that Parky should never have been given the job in the first place and the changing of the sides structure that had lost only to Walsall in what the last 15 was not the best decision.

I wanted him gone for relegation into this division in the first place, he has done little to win me over, though play offs and where we are now are OK, they are not really what I was expecting, I genuinely thought automatic promotion this year was essential and was the aim. It seems we were drifting back towards play off's again.

Anyone who remembers the chaos of the 1970's/early 1980's knows that Charlton have been badly run in the past we have gone through a fantastic 20 years lets hope the new board want to to re-start that. The Charlton way does not mean we need to spend 28 years in the wilderness again with crowds of 5000 again.
  • Options
    Wikipedia don't hang about, do they?

Phil Parkinson
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Very well said. Myself and a number of mates have had season tickets for years but this is the first season where it's almost an effort to turn up to games. We've got progressively worse and something had to be done.
    I've known a few of your mates for a few years and I tend to agree. ;-)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]i expect to see my club playing teams off the park. parky was never going to be the man to do that....and when we get a man that does, the atmosphere will return with it.

Are you suggesting VG, the atmosphere will only return once Charlton play teams off the park?

There are plenty of clubs in this division, each who on their day can play teams off the park. But none do it consistantly, not Charlton - and not even clear league leaders Brighton.

Norwich last season won the league head and shoulders above everyone one else.
    But how many times did they play teams off the park?

Teams win promotion by consistantly grinding out results, rather than sweeping aside all and sundry each and every week. It may not always be pretty.

off the park a little strong i admit, but how about we attmept to play football in the right way for a start!!!

honestly, the last few home games have been nothing short of ryman league level and thats not an exageration. we have the players oggy, i think reid is CC level on his day, benson a good forward, racon has ability, semedo showed what he can do last season. why are these players not performing???.because our set up was appaling, our manager devoid of any idea. We should be able to roll teams like walsall at home.

i think ive been pretty consistent in my posts and possibly bordering boring, but im still a believer that our fans will get back on board and create an atmosphere if we try and play decent football with a bit of imagination throw in here and there.
  • Options
    I'd rather boring football if it meant we got out of league one.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]I cannot understand how anyone can be pleased about this decision.

Surely there are two groups. Those that wanted Parky to be given the time this season to complete the task of getting the team promoted; and those that wanted him replaced. Now is not the time do debate about which side of that divide each of us is on. But it's worth noting that no-one was calling for what we've now got: a managerless club.

It's always easy to call for the sacking of the manager, but surely no-one believes we're better off without one at all.

I am in the first group. I think he should have been left in charge to complete the job. But even if you're in the second group, you must agree that we're worse off now. We don't know who is in charge, we can't trust the new board from one day to the next, and surely we can't attract the players we need when the manager, his assistant at the coach have all cleared their desks. The window's only open for a few weeks. We must get this farcical position sorted out pronto.

Ridiculous, shameful, regrettable, nonsensical, spiteful and pointless.

Most misguided post of the day, by many a mile. Especially the dictionary swallowing of the last sentence. I mean, come on. The new owners aren't driven by ambition or a desire to win and giving us the best chance of promotion and getting a return on their money - they are , according to Chizz, motivated by spite against poor old Parkinson. Sorry, but that's just pathetic.

And how can anybody be pleased, you ask? I'm abslolutely bloody delighted.It's the start of a new era, new Charlton, new hope, new ambition and things can and will only get better after the dross we have endured oveer the last 3-4 years, the most depressing period I can remember in the 45 years since I saw my first Charlton match.

As for the managerless club, Wise or Poyet or whomever it is will no doubt be announced on Monday, after KP has had the moment he always wanted, managing his beloved Charlton for 90 mins. Would you really want our new manager to start with a six-nil drubbing ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    VG, as you may know, I live in Scotland, so don't get to every game- hence I watched last night on TV. One of the things that shocked me most was the complete lack of noise/ backing/ atmosphere after we took the lead. Yes, we were maybe lucky to get the goal at that point, but it should have been the catalyst to get the crowd really going. You never know, that might have made all the difference to the team's performance. Then at 1-3 down with 15 mins left, everyone was streaming out - I've seen us come back from two goals down in that amount of time quite often in the past, even when playing poorly. The expectations of the fans and the vociferous group who have been so quick to jump on PP's back have an awful lot to answer for. And if we now get Dennis Wise, then this will be some strange brave new dawn...

Yes, we should be able to "roll teams like Walsall at home", but if you've been supporting Charlton for many years, it won't surprise you when we don't. This is the third division - the football will at times be dire, the players will at times be inconsistent. But the best chance we have of getting out of it is if we all pull in the same direction, through thick and thin. That's been sadly lacking for the past two seasons.
  • Options
    Reading Chizz's post we should be appointing a new manager before sacking the old one. Bizarre.
  • Options
    Let's not get this out of proportion. Certainly Parky is a nice man and I genuinely feel for him, Breacker and Kins losing their job. Who wouldn't. Having said that let's remember that the vast majority of jobs in football are obtained off the back of someone getting sacked. It's par for the course in football and all three know the score in that respect. No doubt all will find future football jobs in the wake of someone elses misfortune.

To those of you not happy with these sackings all I can say is that fortunately you are in the minority. I want Charlton to be a great club both on and off the pitch and sacking our manager and coaching staff hasn't suddenly turned us into anything other than what we already are a decent club with decent supporters and we always will be. If a hardened edge has been added then that's all to the good as far as I am concerned if it brings success where recently there has been only abject failure. If driving away a small minority of fans who cannot accept what is right for the club as a whole is the price of success then it's a pity but that's their choice. What has just been removed by the boards action has rejuvenated the majority of the support that actually live in the real world. Parky et al were hard working but not up to the task and were in FACT driving fans away in droves with the boring souless often useless style of football. I applaud the new owners and Varney and Murray who also made the decision to sack all three. Good luck Phil, Tim and Mark I genuinely wish you well in the future.
  • Options
    Word on the street is that his replacement is Darren Ferguson. Was next to Peter Varney last night.
  • Options
    Well said. Parky got this job on the back of Pardews sacking and may well get his next on the back of Fergusons sacking. That's football I'm afraid. You know what you are getting into. There are very very few managers around that havnt been sacked somewhere sometime. It's the nature of the beat. Some people seem prepared to accept mediocrity so he can keep his job. Sorry but I'm not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Let's not get this out of proportion. Certainly Parky is a nice man and I genuinely feel for him, Breacker and Kins losing their job. Who wouldn't. Having said that let's remember that the vast majority of jobs in football are obtained off the back of someone getting sacked. It's par for the course in football and all three know the score in that respect. No doubt all will find future football jobs in the wake of someone elses misfortune.

To those of you not happy with these sackings all I can say is that fortunately you are in the minority. I want Charlton to be a great club both on and off the pitch and sacking our manager and coaching staff hasn't suddenly turned us into anything other than what we already are a decent club with decent supporters and we always will be. If a hardened edge has been added then that's all to the good as far as I am concerned if it brings success where recently there has been only abject failure. If driving away a small minority of fans who cannot accept what is right for the club as a whole is the price of success then it's a pity but that's their choice. What has just been removed by the boards action has rejuvenated the majority of the support that actually live in the real world. Parky et al were hard working but not up to the task and were in FACT driving fans away in droves with the boring souless often useless style of football. I applaud the new owners and Varney and Murray who also made the decision to sack all three. Good luck Phil, Tim and Mark I genuinely wish you well in the future.

Dennis Wise is about to be installed as the new manager of Charlton Athletic Football Club and you have the brass neck to tell people that "the small minority of fans who cannot accept what is right for the club as a whole is the price of success then it's a pity but that's their choice." What arrogance.

The world has well and truly gone mad. Weren't we also promised a "hardened edge" by Pardew as well? How did that one turn out in the end?
  • Options
    Orm, you know for a fact Dennis wise has the job, or just guessing to back up your argument?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Then at 1-3 down with 15 mins left, everyone was streaming out - I've seen us come back from two goals down in that amount of time quite often in the past, even when playing poorly.

Your right in some respects about not getting behind them when we went one up but it's difficult when the team are giving you nothing to get excited about. When we went 3-1 down there wasn't a hope in hell that we'd pull it back, I knew that as did everyone else in the ground,may sound defeatist but it's been the truth of Parky's reign. We may not be the best supporters in the land but there are plenty worse.
  • Options
    Steve Clarke i reckon not wise
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Let's not get this out of proportion. Certainly Parky is a nice man and I genuinely feel for him, Breacker and Kins losing their job. Who wouldn't. Having said that let's remember that the vast majority of jobs in football are obtained off the back of someone getting sacked. It's par for the course in football and all three know the score in that respect. No doubt all will find future football jobs in the wake of someone elses misfortune.

Dennis Wise is about to be installed as the new manager of Charlton Athletic Football Club and you have the brass neck to tell people that "the small minority of fans who cannot accept what is right for the club as a whole is the price of success then it's a pity but that's their choice." What arrogance.

The world has well and truly gone mad. Weren't we also promised a "hardened edge" by Pardew as well? How did that one turn out in the end?

Sorry but I don't see that as arrogance. I suggest your read the new article by RodneyTrotta. It tells of the reality of what football is and if Charlton want to play they have to harden up. If you can't accept the direction the club is taking I'm very sorry but yes you are in a minority.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think it will be Wise as Manager. Another role maybe but not Manager IMO.
  • Options
    Good post Guru. The minority should now support the board - we owe them that. I am prepared to give them the benefit of any doubt. I think they may have given Parky money to spend prior to the last two games - but you have to have your head buried in the sand not to see that last night left the board with no choice. Not one player stood up for Parky. Granted that says something about our players, but it also forced the board into this action. The baord would not have made two completely different statements within a week otherwise. I have not been this season because of the football we play(for the first time in 30 years). I know countless others as well. Will be back for the next game.
  • Options
    the charlton way is the modern day equvilant to the liverpool boot room

we are no longer a blue print of how to manage a football club all done under the old charlton way

same as the liverpool blueprint for finding appointments in house was not the way

If anyone thinks that Dennis wise couldnt manage a team better than parkinson then i think you are wrong not arrogance not wrong just my opinion and we will have to wait and see

i still reckon Steve Clarke and 1 other will be the new men in charge
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I don't think it will be Wise as Manager. Another role maybe but not Manager IMO.

We'll see I suppose Large, but the bookies are red hot on Wise and they are not wrong very often.

There is no way Poyet will leave Brighton for us and unless Curbs comes back - again unlikely - then he is the most obvious choice given his connections.
  • Options
    Have to agree with many of the posts on here that Parky is a nice man and yes I do feel sorry for him and anyone else who has lost there job, but I hope that we now have new owners who aren't afraid to make a decision if they feel its the right one for our club. As for changing their mind and deciding that now was the right time for him to go as circumstances changed, was this much different to Parky himself changing his mind when he accepted the job at Hudderfield and then rang the club an hour before the press conference as he had a better offer from Charlton . Good luck to all three of them and I hope that they find new employment soon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

Sorry but I don't see that as arrogance. I suggest your read the new article by RodneyTrotta. It tells of the reality of what football is and if Charlton want to play they have to harden up. If you can't accept the direction the club is taking I'm very sorry but yes you are in a minority.

I have read his article, nothing particularly persuasive in there as far as I am concerned.

Can someone tell me why we should be so impressed/delighted that Slater and Jiminez have taken over? Neither of them have serious money, the only "hope" that we have is that someone behind them has money. The key word their is "hope" because we know nothing about their backers at all. And they have already said they won't be spending heavily - you can't help but wonder why.

As far as I can see the two new "owners" are a pair of speculators who are hoping to get CAFC back to the promised land - preferably on a shoestring - and make a quick buck via selling the club if and when we get there.

If they shell out some serious money in the transfer window then I will change my opinion of them but so far all they have done is to promise the manager their support and then sack him a week later. While we are in the Play Off places and in the FA Cup 3rd Round.

Not the most encouraging start.
  • Options
    All about opinions I suppose but I think it's extremely encouraging.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Parkinson was the right type of character for the Charlton I knew and loved. But that Charlton has been subsumed in an atmosphere of hostility from a vocal minority - both at The Valley and on here. I'm really worried about the future direction of this club now.
    Very, very well said. I wish I could have put it as well myself.
  • Options
    Wrong time to sack a man IMO, if Wise comes it will just cement my view that he is Jiminez's rent boy, nothing more.
  • Options
    I am sad to see the management & coaching team depart. There is no doubt they worked hard, and showed no little talent in performing their jobs in very, very difficult circumstances. I do think our level of expectation of Parkinson and the demands of the old board in such circumstances were unrealistic.

People are quick to point the fingers at the new board for this decision but Parkinson’s real problem was the financial management of the club and the strictures it placed upon him.

Though rarely enthused by his style of play he did a sound job in turning out reasonable results in such an environment. Regrettably he seemed unable to establish a sustainable range of patterns of play which maximized the strengths, and minimized the weaknesses of the squad. It is no easy task.

As with his predecessors however I struggle to identify where the club has been able to produce a distinct and consistent improvement in the building of a team for the future or any real development of the players brought into the club or through the academy.

Parkinson has the right to feel aggrieved/ disappointed but in front of new owners and a Sky television audience I can hardly think of a worse time to produce a 20 minute managerial brain fart to reduce a poor performance to an absolute shambles. Seldom can an audition have gone so badly wrong or the momentum created by new ownership been so quickly dissipated.

Does the sacking reflect badly on the new board? Is this whole unfortunate episode another rush to judgement? Firing anyone is always a difficult decision and there is seldom “a right time”. Having been on both ends of the event it is hard on all parties but it can hardly said to be unexpected in this environment and I think even Parkinson would understand any new investor reluctance in backing him based on the last months performances.

Ridiculous? Shameful? Nonsensical? Spiteful? Pointless? - I dont think so - Regrettable? - Yes but as they say timing is everything - in our current position at this time the new board to maintain momentum had either to back him .... or sack him. Clearly the board did not have the confidence in him to provide Parkinson with the funds to take the club forward. On that basis there was only one logical decision.

Whether that decision was predetermined, based on the evidence of last night or even further discussions with Parkinson today we do not know.
    As a consequence I suggest it would be equally unwise of any of us to rush to judgement on the new board.

Grapevine 49