Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++++++Parkinson SACKED+++++++

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]I recongise many of the same names now attacking this decision as the same posters who a day or two ago were saying ''well if Reg says it's OK, then I'm happy''.

Has Varney - so recently hailed as some kind of saviour - now been turned into a villain, too?
    Like you said yesterday regarding RM, I very much doubt PV is calling the shots. In fact I only think the both of them are on the board to try and appease the fans. In 12 months time I doubt if either of they are here.
  • Options
    Missed yesterday’s game due to work commitments, but after hearing comments on how bad it was, unfortunately this news has come of no surprise to myself.

With the new owners on board looking to give the manager funds to spend in the January window, I could not see them giving Parkinson the opportunity unless they offered him a new contract, or we got a win last night.

Feel sorry for the three of them, but as we have seen with new owners of football clubs in past couple of years, the majority of them will bring in someone new asap.
  • Options
    Have to laugh at Slaters comment re not winning since November.

I suppose the three cancelled games were guaranteed defeat then.

If as he says a decision is made on the back of one result then prepare yourself for a bumpy ride.

I might have a wager on Wise, Hughton, Laws, Pearce and Curbishley before the season is out.

Joke.
  • Options
    Last night parky had the face of a man that knew exactly what was coming.

Good luck to him, clearly a very nice and unquestionably hardworking bloke, sadly just don't think he has what it takes to be a football manager, proved it at hull and IMO has proved it here, one play off win with Colchester was the only success on the CV!

I am slightly concerned about how this news was broke, it's an exclusive the OS should have got, not some random consultancy company.

I also really hope slater meant what he said about wise!
  • Options
    would be happy with Steve Clarke, he's really highly rated at both Chelsea and West Ham, obviously knows Jimenez and he's better than Wise. Can't see us paying the compensation for Howe, and Curbishley surely won't take the job after the flak he took towards the end of his reign here.

As for Parky, sad he's gone, seemed like a good bloke. Thanks for his effort, agree that he has been tainted by association with Pardew. Sure he'll get another job sharpish, I suppose we'll soon see if that Preston link was all bull.

Anyway what's Richard Murray to think of all this seeing as he's still a board member. He couldn't have given Parkinson any more support during his tenure but then the first working day after it's finished, 'his man' is gone....
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]I recongise many of the same names now attacking this decision as the same posters who a day or two ago were saying ''well if Reg says it's OK, then I'm happy''.

Has Varney - so recently hailed as some kind of saviour - now been turned into a villain, too?
    Like you said yesterday regarding RM, I very much doubt PV is calling the shots. In fact I only think the both of them are on the board to try and appease the fans. In 12 months time I doubt if either of they are here.

I agree Murray's role is entirely ceremonial. But Varney is executive vice-chairman with responsibility for corporate strategy and planning and would have been fully consulted. I have every hope and expectation that he will be on the Charlton board with an executive role for a long time to come.

[cite] Posted by: Southendaddick [/cite]
    Have to laugh at Slaters comment re not winning since November.

I suppose the three cancelled games were guaranteed defeat then.

It seems a quite sensible comment after taking just three points out of 15 since our last win in November!

As for the postponed games, the weather has probably done us a big favour because the way our now sacked manager had us playing, we would probably have got little out of them. Hopefully under more inspiring leadership, we can now go on and win them when they are rearranged in March and April.
  • Options
    Wasn't Peter Varney the chap that on Sky News on Thursday defended the new contract Les Reed had been given and guaranteed that under no circumstances would he be sacked, only for the sacking to take place on the Sunday?

I think this happens everywhere. If you have plans to make a change it is hardly very productive to tell the current boss that it's coming or you will suffer until you actually do the deed.

I have no idea if the new Chairman was misleading us with his statements last Friday, nor do I expect us to ever really know, but if this was all planned, and as deceitful as it is to Parky, it was the proper business decision not to tell him before we payed Colchester and Swindon. For all we know we could have won both those games 5-0 and he would still have been out of a job today. Equally had we won them both he might now be drawing up plans to sign players to keep us in the second place that we would have been in.
  • Options
    Having trawled through this thread, I am absolutely amazed that after the amount of people on here demanding Parky's head last night, it now seems to have changed right round to what a poor decision and poor Parky.

The reason that he has gone is that the club can now afford to get rid of him, whereas in the past two seasons they couldn't. He unfortunately was a 'make do'.

I for one admire what he has achieved with very little resources, but in my book the time is right for new blood. There is no way it was all about last night's game, we have been awful for some time now and like i stated a few days ago, the whole club lacks passion and it shows throughout the team. Even in the unbeaten run we were still lucky and I can honestly say we have only played well in 2/3 games for the whole season.

I wish Parky, Breaker and Kins all the best for the future, but this is a new era for our club run by two business men hopefully with money behind them. Bring it on I say, I can't wait for the changes. Looking at the betting list, there are some fine managers out there. We've been little old Charlton for too long, hopefully we can now be a real force to be reckoned with - get in there!
  • Options
    when some people are vocal with one point of view, one should not assume that this is the view of all
  • Options
    Well done to Michael Slater and his new Board for taking the swift and decisive action necessary following last night’s debacle. Phil Parkinson, as nice a man as he may be, had lost the respect of many fans through his lack lustre style of management and the team’s poor performances which, in a results driven business, was always going to lead to his departure. With the January transfer window still open Michael Slater, Tony Jimenez and the new management team will now have to opportunity to make their own mark and hopefully, produce a promotion winning side playing the attractive style of football that we all desire to see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ***Thanks Phil for all you've done.

Phil Parkinson is a shrewd operator in the transfer market - I hope the new boss will be as well.
  • Options
    I've been going to the Valley the last 45 years. There have been good times and there have been bad times. That's what you get with supporting CAFC. But Parkinson's brand of football is the main reason why my family haven't renewed our season tickets for the last two years. It's been boring, the man plays one dimensional football and his tactics have been appalling. Not to mention his choice of player!! Whilst I don't like to see people lose their jobs, the whole coaching team had to go for the sake of Charlton Athletic Football Club because everything that had built up over the last 15 years was in danger of being flushed down the toilet. Who do I want as the next manager? I don't care if it's Dennis Wise, to be honest, as long as I get entertained on a Saturday afternoon and feel as if I've come away from the match thinking yep, that was a good match and I've had value for money.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I've been going to the Valley the last 45 years. There have been good times and there have been bad times. That's what you get with supporting CAFC. But Parkinson's brand of football is the main reason why my family haven't renewed our season tickets for the last two years. It's been boring, the man plays one dimensional football and his tactics have been appalling. Not to mention his choice of player!! Whilst I don't like to see people lose their jobs, the whole coaching team had to go for the sake of Charlton Athletic Football Club because everything that had built up over the last 15 years was in danger of being flushed down the toilet. Who do I want as the next manager? I don't care if it's Dennis Wise, to be honest, as long as I get entertained on a Saturday afternoon and feel as if I've come away from the match thinking yep, that was a good match and I've had value for money.[/quote]

in a nutshell valley, it's getting to a ponit where people wont turn up any longer to watch the rubbish being served up at the valley this season, i dont think the new regime had much choice with the prospects of the fans turning their backs in droves.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I've been going to the Valley the last 45 years. There have been good times and there have been bad times. That's what you get with supporting CAFC. But Parkinson's brand of football is the main reason why my family haven't renewed our season tickets for the last two years. It's been boring, the man plays one dimensional football and his tactics have been appalling. Not to mention his choice of player!! Whilst I don't like to see people lose their jobs, the whole coaching team had to go for the sake of Charlton Athletic Football Club because everything that had built up over the last 15 years was in danger of being flushed down the toilet. Who do I want as the next manager? I don't care if it's Dennis Wise, to be honest, as long as I get entertained on a Saturday afternoon and feel as if I've come away from the match thinking yep, that was a good match and I've had value for money.[/quote]

in a nutshell valley, it's getting to a ponit where people wont turn up any longer to watch the rubbish being served up at the valley this season, i dont think the new regime had much choice with the prospects of the fans turning their backs in droves.
  • Options
    Don't really know what to think about all this.Remember the last time we craved a bit of excitement at management level when Curbs came to the end of his tenure and look where that got us.

Craving the same kind of excitement at boardroom level may just be the downfall of this club.

On the other hand.After coming away from the few trips i've managed to the valley this season with feelings of anger and dissappointment i can see the need for a clearout.

It's tough.I just hope this new mob,of whom we know NOTHING about get it right. Seatbelt on!
  • Options
    He had to go. Nice bloke so people say, but we are in a business of winning football matches. Parky could not of taken us up the leagues.
  • Options
    we all know he shouldn't have been given the job in the first place ..................
    i really hope murray has nothing whatsoever to do in the choosing of the next manager

good luck to parky nice bloke wrong job
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have supported Parky all along, on the basis that Murray said that we couldn't afford to sack him and he brought in a number of decent players considering the majority cost nowt. Also, the fact that I thought he spoke a lot of good sense.

However, I do believe he has been given long enough & when we start losing at home routinely to Walsall & Swindon then he had to go.

All the best to Phil, Tim & Kins.
  • Options
    I cannot understand how anyone can be pleased about this decision.

Surely there are two groups. Those that wanted Parky to be given the time this season to complete the task of getting the team promoted; and those that wanted him replaced. Now is not the time do debate about which side of that divide each of us is on. But it's worth noting that no-one was calling for what we've now got: a managerless club.

It's always easy to call for the sacking of the manager, but surely no-one believes we're better off without one at all.

I am in the first group. I think he should have been left in charge to complete the job. But even if you're in the second group, you must agree that we're worse off now. We don't know who is in charge, we can't trust the new board from one day to the next, and surely we can't attract the players we need when the manager, his assistant at the coach have all cleared their desks. The window's only open for a few weeks. We must get this farcical position sorted out pronto.

Ridiculous, shameful, regrettable, nonsensical, spiteful and pointless.
  • Options
    The alternative?

" Yes Parky, as you're a lovely bloke, we believe you will get us promoted, and be the one to guide us in the Championship. The last couple of home games are just a blip, here have some money to spend in January."

If you don't really buy that scenario...then if not today, when?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it's not nice to see good men get sacked and undoubtedly they had to work in trying circumstances but i've left the valley feeling resigned and despondent too many times this season.

Last night was not a freak result, we've seen time and time again that teams come to the valley and realise after twenty minutes that we are completely toothless and go on to outplay us. The difference last night was they had more nous up front than a lot of teams in this league.

The decision may be harsh but it is correct. He either had to go now or stay until the end of the season and the club is right to roll the dice now.
  • Options
    Whether it works out for the best or not time will tell I suppose although if the new manager is given funds we will never know whether Parky would have spent them better so the question will be moot. Personally I thought the problems were and are more deep-rooted than the manager, who is always a convenient scapegoat.

One thing for sure - for better of worse, the way it was handled certainly wasn't the 'Charlton way'. Then again, I guess that term has been inappropriate for a few years now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I've been going to the Valley the last 45 years. There have been good times and there have been bad times. That's what you get with supporting CAFC. But Parkinson's brand of football is the main reason why my family haven't renewed our season tickets for the last two years. It's been boring, the man plays one dimensional football and his tactics have been appalling. Not to mention his choice of player!! Whilst I don't like to see people lose their jobs, the whole coaching team had to go for the sake of Charlton Athletic Football Club because everything that had built up over the last 15 years was in danger of being flushed down the toilet. Who do I want as the next manager? I don't care if it's Dennis Wise, to be honest, as long as I get entertained on a Saturday afternoon and feel as if I've come away from the match thinking yep, that was a good match and I've had value for money.

Very well said. Myself and a number of mates have had season tickets for years but this is the first season where it's almost an effort to turn up to games. We've got progressively worse and something had to be done.
  • Options
    It's a tough one. No-one seems worried that we don't actually know who owns our club and that concerns me. The owner's representative tells us one thing on Friday and does something else on Tuesday. Really living the dream.
  • Options
    Some bang out of order comments on here to certain posters and i expect a few whispers wouldve taken place since

Football is a cut throat business and it is unscrupuous it is based on results and Parkinson has failed to deliver on so many levels

nice guy yes

freind to players yes

good manager based on results No far from it

great decision big balls shown by the current board and something that should have happend 2 years ago
  • Options
    Blimey, only just caught up with this thread.

Whatever side of the fence one sits on surely we must all agree that, given what has happened to our great club subsequently, he was the wrong choice 2 years ago? For all his good points, of which there were many, if he was the wrong choice then he remains the wrong man for the job now in this new era. Whilst I am wary of the way it has been handled perhaps this is the clean sweep we should have got 2 years ago IMO and the new board should be backed by us for recognising that decisive action was needed to get us moving forward again. The status quo was no longer an option.

We know he's not had loads to spend but then again pretty much no one has down here in the depths of Div 3 do they, so this excuse for our lack of progression (and that's what it is) continues to hold no water whatsoever for me. He has also had access to a squad and facilities that would have been the envy of 95% of his contemparies in this division and has been consistantly backed by the board in an laudable attempt to provide some stablity as an alternative to the hire and fire 'em approach of the previous few years. Unfortunately it just hasn't worked.

I posted yesterday that had he stayed we were looking down the barrel of another Target 10,000 campaign as, in my view, we were going nowhere. The board have made their first move in addressing this and, whilst wishing PP, TB and most of all Kins, the very best for the future now is not the time for division and recriminations but the time to give the team our fullest support.
  • Options
    Parkinson was the right type of character for the Charlton I knew and loved. But that Charlton has been subsumed in an atmosphere of hostility from a vocal minority - both at The Valley and on here. I'm really worried about the future direction of this club now.
  • Options
    Bold move by the new board, and one I can just about support.
    He seems to be a really decent bloke, but hand on heart I couldn't see him getting us promoted.

As others have said, he was very lucky to be appointed in the first place after the run of results while he was in temporary charge.
    He should really have gone with Pardew, but he was the affordable option and then seemed to get the job on that basis.

I don't think he's done that badly given the financial constraints, but the best 'signing' we could potentially make in the next few weeks is a manager who could come in and provide the drive and direction to the squad at his disposal.
    Absolutely no guarantees that they will make the right appointment - or one that is very popular with most fans - but if they were going to make a change and could afford to do it, now was the right time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I've been going to the Valley the last 45 years. There have been good times and there have been bad times. That's what you get with supporting CAFC. But Parkinson's brand of football is the main reason why my family haven't renewed our season tickets for the last two years. It's been boring, the man plays one dimensional football and his tactics have been appalling. Not to mention his choice of player!! Whilst I don't like to see people lose their jobs, the whole coaching team had to go for the sake of Charlton Athletic Football Club because everything that had built up over the last 15 years was in danger of being flushed down the toilet. Who do I want as the next manager? I don't care if it's Dennis Wise, to be honest, as long as I get entertained on a Saturday afternoon and feel as if I've come away from the match thinking yep, that was a good match and I've had value for money.

1. Everything that was built up from 1992 to 2007 was already flushed down the toilet before Parkinson arrived.

2. Are you sure that you want a good match and value for money, or do you want to win? Last night's match was a good, entertaining match for a neutral. It must have fallen into one of the top 10 percent of Div 3 matches this season.

All this talk about today's decision as hailing a new era is a joke. Why does everyone think that such a new wave of optimism and happiness is going to wash over the club as a result of Parkinson's departure? What if the new manager loses his first match at The Valley?

I'm neither for nor against this decision, just as I was neither in despair yesterday nor full of joy today. I swear that some of you guys on here are crazy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Parkinson was the right type of character for the Charlton I knew and loved.

Well said, Weegie. Parkinson was the right sort of character for the Charlton we've spent all our lives supporting.
    Set about rebuilding his team in a similar manner to Curbishley.

Curbs wasn't the fastest mover either, but he was given the time Parky was denied.
    And eventually got there and maintained the status quo.
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]But that Charlton has been subsumed in an atmosphere of hostility from a vocal minority - both at The Valley and on here. I'm really worried about the future direction of this club now.

I guess it is only a vocal minority ...... but they've certainly made themselves heard.

There is hostility; venomous at times. It's not something I like to be associated with.
    And IMO has made watching a match at The Valley recently an unpleasant experience.

Maybe the atmosphere both in the ground and on Charlton Life will change, now that Parky has gone.
    Heaven help this club if it doesn't.