Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

++++++Parkinson SACKED+++++++

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Brother at BBC Solent reckons Howe.
    Could a religious poster please start praying for this to be true!
  • Club with name a temp management team shortly.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]If they were considering it, it's the right time to do it, rather than wait a month or so. Almost a full month to sign players and plenty of games to be played.

Unlike a week ago, we presumably can afford to sack Parky and his staff, pay for a new manager (though won't be surprised if we get someone out of work) and give him money to spend.

Like Exiled said in another thread, he could keep us in the top 6 but now we should be able to afford and attract a better manager than we could previously.

Looking forward to seeing who we get. Hope the board have some ideas already as to the sort of replacement they'd like to bring in.

Personally would have given Parky until the end of the season. But you are right this is the time to change managers if they were going to do it.

My main problem is the full backing Parky got from Slater last week ""It's certainly not our intention to make any change," he said. "Phil's done a great job. We're third in the league and that speaks for itself, so we're going to have a sit down with Phil over the next few days and we'll give him every support.

"Our intention, of course, is to see the club promoted to the Championship as soon as possible, and making wholesale changes is not the right way to achieve those objectives."

To this "Charlton chairman Michael Slater said: "Clearly, improvement is needed on the field. The team has not won in the league since November and recent performances have simply not been good enough.

"Last night's defeat [to Swindon Town] convinced us as a board that change is required now while we are still in the hunt for promotion, and that we must appoint a new manager to give us every chance of going up."
  • on os now
  • And finally from the OS. 'The board recognises that Phil, Tim and Mark have worked under difficult circumstances for the past 2 year and would like to thank them for their efforts.' Is that it, is that all they get?

Plus it sounds (Press Briefing P11 on player) as though the Academy is up for review as part of the financial plans. Oh brave new dawn indeed.
  • Wise now 4/7 and next is 9/1!
  • Wise is 4/7
  • CURBS come home!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Dennis Wise has gone from 8/1 to 4/7 already on Skybet, book will be closed in 10 mins I bet.
  • [cite]Posted By: Martomoto[/cite]If true (and there's so much rumour around now it seems as though it must be) then I am appalled.

Appalled that the board would sack a manager with the team 5th in the table;
    Appalled that it comes so soon after giving him their backing;
    Appalled that the news is everywhere apart from the official website;
    Appalled that they say promotion is paramount and yet the name of Dennis Wise is being linked as our new manager - only rumour but if it's true what suggests he can do better?....

The takeover is only days old and already I don't recognise the club I love.

Oh come on. You really are easily appalled, aren't you?

This is an inevitable decsion and the right one.

Let's now all pull together and back the new owners as they try to put some ambition back into this club for the first time in about three years!

Really look forward to the improved atmosphere at the Valley next game. This is the start of a new era in Charlton history and it's going to be a good one, people.
  • "The club will announce a caretaker management team in due course."

So nobody lined up then... LOL
  • I'm glad, because of the horriffic last few years, and the fact that the man was of the Pardew era. Something had to give after the last 5 years of dross.

But also under no illusions as to the fact that this may not be the start of a quick ascension. God knows what will happen. We will see.

CAFC

Oh and Southend, if you're serious, I'll take your Spurs ticket if it's still going, mate :-)
  • We are going to WHL without a manager or any back room staff...?

12-0
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Lets hope Large doesn't get sacked if he has a few difficult weeks at work.

in reply Rothko, and to WSS from the previous page, I was made redundant from the job I have been in for 24 years on New Years Eve. Hope that answers your question.

In reply to both the above and CAFC Bourne, I have never made it personal with regard to Parky. I just have never thought him to be a good Manager. If you bothered to read other threads you would find that I was one of the first to wish him all the best, nice bloke but not up to the job. It happens, just have to deal with it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Martomoto[/cite]

The takeover is only days old and already I don't recognise the club I love.

I'm happy re the sacking and takeover, as I've not recognised it as the Charlton I love for the past five years.

Whether or not it'll be better, remains to be seen.........
  • Just seen Slater's press conference from Monday morning. His 'support' of Parky contained was filled with qualifications and caveats! Assumed it was just because he's a lawyer.
  • I really hope it doesn't go all horribly Ray Harford
  • I'd like Wise as cartetaker until May. Then Poyet.

We've been pissing about for the last three years, limping from one catastrophe to another. Don't others share the joy that we might finally now be going places again under a seriously ambitious new leadership ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Hasselbaink is on the skybet list lol.
  • what on earth?! We're 5th in the table, Parky's constantly had to cut the wage budget and has had next to no money to spend on new players. Outrageous treatment of a honest, hard working manager. Didn't get given long enough if i'm honest.

If Wise comes in I'll be livid
  • Wise will be temporary manager, but I believe a new full time manager will be in place before the end of the month and will have bought players for us by then too!
  • Parky looked like a dead man walking last night i'm a little surprised at him being sacked today after being given the vote of confidence a few days ago which suggests that the owners had someone lined up for the job already.

If the new man is Wise we've got to give him a fair crack of the whip but i will won't be jumping for joy if it is him.
  • It's gonna be either Wise, clarke or zola as sacking Breacker and Kins shows someone has already been lined up.
  • Seems like a bad decision to me, unless of course Varney has managed to convince Curbs to come back. The rest of the contenders listed so far I really don't really set the pulse racing.

On the OS now: http://www.cafctv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2257916,00.html
  • Looking at the statement they may try to get wise in by appointing him as a temporary stop gap, whilst they recruit the best candidate, if he does well they will hope he is accepted
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Martomoto[/cite]

The takeover is only days old and already I don't recognise the club I love.[/quote]

I'm happy re the sacking and takeover, as I've not recognised it as the Charlton I love for the past five years.

Whether or not it'll be better, remains to be seen.........[/quote]

Agree. I couldn't go on watching that dirge for the rest of the season. Our current form would have seen us finishing in mid table, and by that point the fans in the North Upper would have been killing each other. Something had to give ..........
  • Wise would never come in on his own if he did
  • Firstly I'd like to say thank you to Parky for what he did do. He might not have got us where we'd wanted and there have been many disappointments under his leadership, but for all that, I'm not convinced that there are many who'd have done as well given the very difficult circumstances. I don't believe that he is a bad manager or (as we continuously hear on here) that he doesn't have any tactics, but I do believe that there has to be a good fit between a manager and a club; that is perhaps something that was missing. Anyway, best of luck in getting a new job Phil and cheers for taking on the job under conditions that many wouldn't have done.

As for Charlton, I hope it's something that's well thought out and not just a knee jerk. As others have said it certainly makes sense to do it early in the transfer window rather than in 2 or 3 weeks time.