Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover - What's your best guess as to who is it's gonna be?

Comments

• Options
    If as others have suggested we fail to find out who the new owners are even after the deal is complete then just how frustrating and unacceptable would that be. Fans are real stakeholders in a football club and I just can't believe that a family club like us would be run along those lines.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Why are people so hung up about a press conference, all that need be done is the papers are lodged via the Takeover panel, and that's the contracts are signed

Exactly.

I expect something extremely low key, limited information, and shrouded by opening up more questions than providing answers

this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Crusty54[/cite]The contract to purchase the club has been signed for completion on or before 24th December (see original announcement) subject to DD.

thats a good point so aslong as DD aint thrown anything up its a done deal
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Why are people so hung up about a press conference, all that need be done is the papers are lodged via the Takeover panel, and that's the contracts are signed

Exactly.

I expect something extremely low key, limited information, and shrouded by opening up more questions than providing answers

Quite. That's why I wrote:

''I would surmise either the announcement is not now going to happen until after Xmas - or these people fully intend to try to maintain their invisibility even after they've taken over and have deliberately chosen Xmas Eve to minimise the glare of the spotlight upon them... ''
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]I wasn't saying we would move, I was just saying if it was AEG (which I doubt) then a move would make sense from their point of view. As has been stated many times, it's very unlikely Greenwich council would allow extra uses for the Valley, especially noise generating uses like concerts. If AEG were the buyers, you'd assume they'd want some sort of synergy with their existing facilities in the borough and to make more use of the sporting venue than just Charlton games. That being the case moving to a purpose built stadium out near the dome would most likely be AEG's and Greenwich Council's favoured option.

As I said, I don't think it's AEG, so it's not going to be an issue

AEG are not involved. Just spoke five mins ago to a director of AEG Europe whom I've known for 15 years and with whom I once undertook a memorable trip to Dakar, so I know he wouldn't bullshit me. He said (quote) , ''No way whatsoever''.
  • Options
    Why would anybody buy a football club and NOT want it to be known and public...I would've thought that was part of the whole attraction of doing it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Why would anybody buy a football club and NOT want it to be known and public...I would've thought that was part of the whole attraction of doing it?

Exactly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]I wasn't saying we would move, I was just saying if it was AEG (which I doubt) then a move would make sense from their point of view. As has been stated many times, it's very unlikely Greenwich council would allow extra uses for the Valley, especially noise generating uses like concerts. If AEG were the buyers, you'd assume they'd want some sort of synergy with their existing facilities in the borough and to make more use of the sporting venue than just Charlton games. That being the case moving to a purpose built stadium out near the dome would most likely be AEG's and Greenwich Council's favoured option.

As I said, I don't think it's AEG, so it's not going to be an issue

AEG are not involved. Just spoke five mins ago to a director of AEG Europe whom I've known for 15 years and with whom I once undertook a memorable trip to Dakar, so I know he wouldn't bullshit me. He said (quote) , ''No way whatsoever''.

...but weren't you curious about what happened in the five second pause that immediately ensued when your signal dipped?

Could've been "...are we not going to fund a push for European football"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Why would anybody buy a football club and NOT want it to be known and public...I would've thought that was part of the whole attraction of doing it?

Exactly
    Unless they enjoy watching us lot squirm.

Right bunch of jokers our new owners.
  • Options
    Only reason I could see for it made privte until done dal:

1) They feel fans backlash against Dennis Wise could scarper the deal
    2) It's someone famous and they want to be dramatic
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Only reason I could see for it made privte until done dal:

2) Please.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jazzyjazzyjazzy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Only reason I could see for it made privte until done dal:

2) Please.

1) far more likely in my opinion.

I stress OPINION. I have no inside knowledge.
  • Options
    I think 1 is unlikely, it'll be like when Murray and Simmonds took over in the early 90's, no fanfare, no big thing on the pitch, all quiet, and the club will be stable for the first time in 5 years
  • Options
    It won't be Wise, no idea why everyone is fixated with this idea.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]It won't be Wise, no idea why everyone is fixated with this idea.

Seems like you know something...
  • Options
    BBC news mentioned the takeover this morning. Nothing we hadn't heard before, wasn't on for long, but mentioned the club said it would be completed before Christmas. Could just be saying that based on the original statement from the club weeks ago.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]It won't be Wise, no idea why everyone is fixated with this idea.

I know Varney is not that Stupid.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]It won't be Wise, no idea why everyone is fixated with this idea.

I know Varney is not that Stupid.

Is that confirmation of a fact? If so could you not turn it into a rumour like this
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]

I know Varney is not that Stupid, as I heard he has a first in Molecular Biology from Cambridge.
  • Options

I agree, this has always puzzled me too.
  • Options
    It really is the most deafening silence I've ever known. 99% of takeovers are done with huge fanfare and the new owners doing everything they can to attract the spotlight. They make statements like 'taking the club back to the Premiership where they belong'. This really is very, very odd. Not a single credible rumour. Someone is desperate to keep a low profile. Who could possibly be so secretive and for what reason? The only ones I can think of are Zabeel - after the fiasco last time. But I'm probably wrong!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the last few days it has been said by different posters on here that the silence suggests it's big money, and others saying the silence suggests it's just going to be enough to keep the club running.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]In the last few days it has been said by different posters on here that the silence suggests it's big money, and others saying the silence suggests it's just going to be enough to keep the club running.

That's the great thing about silence. It allows everyone to believe whatever they want to believe, or to indulge all their worst fears, depending where you fit on the half empty/half full scale...

Despite nobody knowing anything, in the last 12 hours alone I've read ''it won't be Wise'' and ''no new owner would ever sack Parkinson''.

And this righteous certainty is based on what? Simply what the posters want to believe...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Martomoto[/cite]It really is the most deafening silence I've ever known. 99% of takeovers are done with huge fanfare and the new owners doing everything they can to attract the spotlight. They make statements like 'taking the club back to the Premiership where they belong'. This really is very, very odd. Not a single credible rumour. Someone is desperate to keep a low profile. Who could possibly be so secretive and for what reason? The only ones I can think of are Zabeel - after the fiasco last time. But I'm probably wrong![/quote]

Because it isn't going to be a big deal for anyone except us and them? I don't feel any big money or big changes are in the offing...other than that we won't go into administration in the summer whether or not we go up. Anything more than that (like a million for transfers) will be a big bonus. Boring, but very very Charlton....
  • Options
    I can see why someone would buy Charlton would want to stay private . The Marcus Evans example at Ipswich seems to work well and I feel would suit us as a club .

As a kid I remember seeing Purser's Showroom vandalised one weekend and my Dad telling me it was because Millwall had lost the previous day .

Lets hope whoever it is we will be able to get out of League One this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wheresmeticket?[/cite]Because it isn't going to be a big deal for anyone except us and them? I don't feel any big money or big changes are in the offing...other than that we won't go into administration in the summer whether or not we go up. Anything more than that (like a million for transfers) will be a big bonus. Boring, but very very Charlton....
    Then why invest, unless they are Charlton fans? They won't make any money out of just keeping the club going, they'll lose it in fact. How long could that carry on for before they're in the same position as Murray, trying to find a buyer?

Not saying it'll be Arab billionaires, but I don't think it'll be a group who can keep us out of administration for a few years before having to sell the club themselves.
  • Options
    The closer it gets to the deadline without any hint, leads me to believe that it really won't be big news. I am now expecting more of the same, a combination of people who have Charlton at heart coming in with maybe some others who are new to the game. I'll put up John Humphreys (who has sold some of his betting shop chain I believe and is winding down as a bookmaker) as one investor in a Charlton friendly consortium.
  • Options
    how about Mike Stevens ? There we have the American input plus he's a lifelong supporter. His company turns over about 5m a year so may have a spare few mill knocking about. I remember too him once saying he'd love to buy the Club but was too busy at the time with his company (American Nameplate Co, Chicago, Illinois). Maybe things have changed ?
  • Options
    if a company turns over 5 mill a year how much profit do you think it makes Large just because a turnover is large doesn't mean profit will be.Most people would be pleased to make 20% profit on turnover ie making a mill a year.Hardly enough to sustain a football club.
  • Options
    Bloody hell Charlton, have a look at the main photo on the OS.

I thought it was the moment weve all been waiting for
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]if a company turns over 5 mill a year how much profit do you think it makes Large just because a turnover is large doesn't mean profit will be.Most people would be pleased to make 20% profit on turnover ie making a mill a year.Hardly enough to sustain a football club.

been running the Company though for nigh on thirty years. Know what you are saying but more possible than some of the theories on here. And how do we know that he hasn't sold out recently to the All American Nameplate Co or somesuch ?