Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover - What's your best guess as to who is it's gonna be?

Comments

• Options
    A slight snag on the AEG moving us thing, AEG don't own any land on the Peninsula
  • Options
    I wasn't saying we would move, I was just saying if it was AEG (which I doubt) then a move would make sense from their point of view. As has been stated many times, it's very unlikely Greenwich council would allow extra uses for the Valley, especially noise generating uses like concerts. If AEG were the buyers, you'd assume they'd want some sort of synergy with their existing facilities in the borough and to make more use of the sporting venue than just Charlton games. That being the case moving to a purpose built stadium out near the dome would most likely be AEG's and Greenwich Council's favoured option.

As I said, I don't think it's AEG, so it's not going to be an issue
  • Options
    Lets be Charlon about this, we all know that it will fall through at the last moment, that is the Charlton way.
    already people saying that there will be no announcement on boxing day about new owners.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think it could either be a Scandinavian connection (there always seems to be groups of Swedes, Fins and Norwegians hanging around) and there used to be lots of scandinavian sounding accents in Crossbars when I used to use it regularly - probably "eyeing the place up". Or a chinese connection - with Zheng Zhi back as captain...
  • Options
    I think it'll be a fairly conservative low key buyout, perhaps that's also the best outcome too? Just hope its someone in it for the long haul.
  • Options
    I'm too scared to mention the 'Z' word after last time. But it would account for the total silence this time around (to fall through a second time would make everyone look stupid) and would also account for the legally binding agreement to proceed as long as nothing came up in DD - once bitten twice shy.
  • Options
    I think local businessmen and perhaps one of the previous consortiums has been resurrected, albeit with a couple of new faces in there.

If it were someone international/ a recognised name I'm sure news would have leaked before now.
  • Options
    I think it has to be a good sign that the potential owner(s) want to stay out of the press/out of the limelight, unless of course it's gary glitter, oh no!
  • Options
    It's Barratt Homes...they've just bought a large green field plot of land, ripe for development, in Floyd Road SE7.
  • Options
    Personally think it is Zabeel again! I think they will feel embaressed how they pulled out at the last minute last time, and blamed the current economy. Now the economy is healing slowly and we are probably only the fraction of the cost to buy, they may feel now is the right time. Only guessing but would not be suprised to see that it is them. + I dont think any English/local businessman could keep his mouth shut to everyone for this long! and it would definatly have leaked by now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plus im sure i read on here that Zabeel were shocked how the press hounded them, they prefer to do things alot quieter.

I.e stay out of the limelight during negotiations.

2+2 = 5? Probably :(
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Zabeel are heavily into property investment in Dubai and the bottom has fallen out of that market worse than UK - stories of footballers getting fingers burnt over expensive apartments you may remember. Villas sold on artificial islands yet to be reclaimed and unlikely to be completed. Also the Dubai ecenomy is in dire straits, talk of bail-outs by other Arab countries. Belts must be tight over there and for one of their flagship companies to buy a football club......I don't think it would go down well. Plus, surely it wouldn't need another month's due diligence after doing so a year or so ago.
  • Options
    Whoever it is, they are undoubtedly playing a blinder keeping it this quiet for such a long period of time.........as others have pointed out, it's almost impossible in this day and age.

We should be very encouraged by this; they clearly know what they are doing and are handling the whole matter extremely competently, which bodes well for the future.

I'm so looking forward to Christmas - this is the only present that I really want!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]Zabeel are heavily into property investment in Dubai and the bottom has fallen out of that market worse than UK - stories of footballers getting fingers burnt over expensive apartments you may remember. Villas sold on artificial islands yet to be reclaimed and unlikely to be completed. Also the Dubai ecenomy is in dire straits, talk of bail-outs by other Arab countries. Belts must be tight over there and for one of their flagship companies to buy a football club......I don't think it would go down well. Plus, surely it wouldn't need another month's due diligence after doing so a year or so ago.
    The Dubai economy is actually picking up quite strongly again. I'm moving out there in January to start a new job. I visited a couple of weeks ago and the construction work is starting up again and lots of people are returning to the Emirate for work. They WERE bailed out big time by their big brother & neighbour, Abu Dhabi. Abu Dhabi has lots of oil and was more than capable of helping out Dubai when the recession hit.

Re: the takeover, however, one thing I am sure about is that it isn't Zabeel.
  • Options
    Daft suggesting Susan Boyle, obviously a Rangers/Celtic supporter. I was going to suggest the crossbow cannibal....but he's obviously a millwall fan.
    Peter Sutcliffe or is he Bradford n'all?
  • Options
    According to my journalistic colleagues, no move so far to call a press conference for tomorrow (the day many were predicting it would be announced).

And it's going to be hard to get hold of any senior journos on Christmas Eve and there are no newspapers on Xmas Day to report a takeover.

I would surmise the announcement is either not now going to happen until after Xmas - or these people fully intend to try to maintain their invisibility even after they've taken over and have deliberately chosen Xmas Eve to minimise the glare of the spotlight upon them...
  • Options
    It has been said that you could find Peter Sutcliffe drinking in The Watermans Arms back in the late 70s.thewolfboy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]According to my journalistic colleagues, no move so far to call a press conference for tomorrow (the day many were predicting it would be announced).

And it's going to be hard to get hold of any senior journos on Christmas Eve and there are no newspapers on Xmas Day to report a takeover.

I would surmise the announcement is either not now going to happen until after Xmas - or these people fully intend to try to maintain their invisibility even after they've taken over and have deliberately chosen Xmas Eve to minimise the glare of the spotlight upon them...

Would be bizarre though wouldn't it ?
  • Options
    Leeds have gone over three years without knowing the identity of their owners, and they're a "big clubTM "
  • Options
    Why are people so hung up about a press conference, all that need be done is the papers are lodged via the Takeover panel, and that's the contracts are signed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we are not a big club there would be very little interest other the fans of our club .

even if it was sheik yawillieatthegirlnextdoorandrunawayokov. the 3rd

We are years away from being anything other than little old charlton
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]we are not a big club there would be very little interest other the fans of our club .

even if it was sheik yawillieatthegirlnextdoorandrunawayokov. the 3rd

We are years away from being anything other than little old charlton

To be fair, there was a lot of interest when Notts County were bought by "Arab zillionaires" or whatever Munto Finance pretended they were

I think the new owners are slightly richer than Murray, but not by much, and the aim is stability back in the Championship. While I said "owners", I think it's one company or one person, and not a consortium of local businessmen. I think Murray will still be involved after the takeover.
  • Options
    The contract to purchase the club has been signed for completion on or before 24th December (see original announcement) subject to DD.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Why are people so hung up about a press conference, all that need be done is the papers are lodged via the Takeover panel, and that's the contracts are signed

Exactly.

I expect something extremely low key, limited information, and shrouded by opening up more questions than providing answers
  • Options
    I was twitchy yesterday but now I am positively nervous.
  • Options
    I reckon it's Russian money. I've heard the name of billionaire Alexsandr Orlov mentioned. He has a south London connection as quoted on Wikipedia:

"According to an interview with Aleks' designers at Passion, Aleks became a billionaire in the 1970s. He lives in Moscow, although he apparently also owns a large mansion in South London. He now spends his time on vanity projects such as his website, numerous self-portraits, various petitions (whether it be banning 'comparethemuskrat.com or beating Sergei at Scrabble by adding a word to the dictionary), and epic film-making (mostly starring himself and Sergei)."

Simples
  • Options
    Simon Jordan and Denis wise .. the Muppet show
  • Options
    I've changed my mind about Subo. She is obviously as thick as my Nan's shag carpet. Maybe Varney has sweet talked her into buying Charlton as an inflation proof investment. What a scumbag eh! Christ. She's not planning to sing at half time is she?
  • Options
    Sepp Blatter -- the shit that hit the fans (repeat until funny).
  • Options
    Can't be Sepp. He's not a vegetarian.