Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 0-1 Walsall - post match views

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
Welcome back Glass half empty brigade!

A poor game where it sounded as though Forts and Doherty let us down. I don't think Anyone would have argued with the subs and also Parky not to blame IMO.

Comments

• Options
    We lost...I feel depressed.
  • Options
    Erm........Forts and doc were the best two players for us by a mile. Many miles in fact
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Welcome back Glass half empty brigade!

A poor game where Forts and Doherty let us down. I don't think Anyone would have argued with the subs and also Parky not to blame IMO.

Dazzler, were you there today?
  • Options
    Doc was our best player by a mile although nobody comes out of it with any credit.

Dire football, awful first and second touches, no one willing to run with the ball. No scapegoats, they were all as bad as one another.

Disappointed how all the subs failed to make an impact, you'd thought they'd be well up for it.

It's how we react that matters.
  • Options
    dazzler, could you please tell me which of the other 12 players had a good game? For the life of me, I can't think of one.
  • Options
    From doing the match thread it sounded as though we just didnt want it enough. Had to switch to Walsall commentary for a while as Radio London went down....Walsall commentators were saying its by far the best that they had played all season. I agree that it is how we react that will be the 'acid test'.....the run had to finish sometime....perhaps losing to the bottom team may be a blessing in disguise...afterall we could have lost to a team up the top with us and that could have hurt us more. I hate losing at anytime but perhaps this will give the team another kick up the bum, ala brighton, and we start going on another run....starting Tuesday!!
  • Options
    No no I can't just going by commentary.
  • Options
    Pub league , pub footy not gonna be a problem we'll be top 6
    8% automatics 87% play offs 5% we'll be trying to make excuses for our sorry club for another year

And for those apologists trying to big up walsall we'll be 1 league maybe 2 better off than them next season
  • Options
    Pub league , pub footy not gonna be a problem we'll be top 6
    8% automatics 87% play offs 5% we'll be trying to make excuses for our sorry club for another year

And for those apologists trying to big up walsall we'll be 1 league maybe 2 better off than them next season
  • Options
    I missed the game. Did we play as badly as we did against Luton?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Totally outplayed from start to finish.

Gutless performance. We simply did not want to know.

Yet again a lesser side have got amongst us and the team as a whole have gone missing.

Cant agree re: Fortune. Would play Llera. He looks like a retired racehorse.

Credit to Walsall they showed us how to pass and move and opened us up with ease in 2nd half.

Assume Anyinsah is injured again?
  • Options
    If you dont like it dont go...

I just dont get it, people want perfection, we are third division and at times this team, becasue our depth of squad is paper thin, is very poor, we got manger of the month, and we are playing against the bottom team.. it had a home loss written all over it...

and after some terrific, great, top stuff work, after 11 games unbeaten and lucrative cup tie secured, we put in the worst perfromance of the season, shit happens... and we just boo them off... call that support, I call that soft, weak... take it on the chin.. you are supposed to be supporters... If you cant take it.. dont go..

We are third division, we arent actually that good, and we will have times when it doesnt click..

Same arguments every time we lose, we lose we boo the team off, we are now getting to the point where if we draw or are drawing we boo the team off... I cant wait until we reach another new low when we start booing the team off after a win, just like when we booed our own player in the warm up.. to which he rightly took the mick when he scored ..

Interestingly I thought the crowd was really good apart from the booing .. tried to raise the atmosphere when the game wasnt going our way...
  • Options
    Typical post-manager of the month performance against a lowly team.

Disappointed but not surprised.
  • Options
    On my way back. We were outplayed and every player was poor. It was a one off I'm sure. No need to panic.
  • Options
    Anyone who watched Thursday's game must have had an inkling that this result was a distinct possibility.

They haven't been 'at it' since the Peterborough game and that was 7 games ago.
  • Options
    Anyone that has supported Charlton fora while knew this was coming. manager of the month syndrome and us playing the bottom team.

Agree totally,its how we respond that counts

Its best tp forget it and move on
  • Options
    Worst team performance I have witnessed. Elliot arguing with our own fans inside 10 mins after he was shouted up for two unforced errors.

Francis can not be being picked on form I can only assume that we don't have another rollback at the club.
    Not one player could control a ball.

Benno had the game that he is always capable of which was non league standard.

Fortune is the shadow of the player he once was.

Semedo and racon were awful.

Martin and Reid offered nothing

Our decision making in every situation was wrong.

Francis without a doubt a very very poor player.

Anyinsah has to have been injured because he done no worse than Benson if anything he was the livelier of the 2.

We allowed them to play and got what we deserved and that was fudge all.

It is very easy for those not there to comment about glass half empty and only happy when unhappy.

No one goes there to want us to lose no one would be happier than those who see the game as it is and not the rose tinted specs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Redmidland[/cite]From doing the match thread it sounded as though we just didnt want it enough. Had to switch to Walsall commentary for a while as Radio London went down....Walsall commentators were saying its by far the best that they had played all season. I agree that it is how we react that will be the 'acid test'.....the run had to finish sometime....perhaps losing to the bottom team may be a blessing in disguise...afterall we could have lost to a team up the top with us and that could have hurt us more. I hate losing at anytime but perhaps this will give the team another kick up the bum, ala brighton, and we start going on another run....starting Tuesday!!

Sums it up for me, all good things come to an end- now it's time to go on another good run starting with a response against Brentford on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Players couldn't string 2 passes together.

Surprised Benson stayed on as I thought the obvious sub was Sodje for Benson.

We were awful. If Walsall were any good they would've scored 4 or 5
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite] Elliot arguing with our own fans inside 10 mins after he was shouted up for two unforced errors.

WTF are our own fans doing digging out their own goalie 10 mins into a game?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Parky post match on CAFC Player apologising to supporters for poor performance. Said it wasn't down to one or two individual poor performances, the whole team played poorly, couldn't pass the ball, low on energy but he felt they should have been rested enough post Luton so he can't quite work it out. Said thast when a whole team plays badly there's usually an underlying reason. He's not sure what that reason is at the moment, they need to sit down together, talk and work it out etc.
  • Options
    Obviously cannot comment on todays game but they showed the Luton game live on TV here Thurs. I was quite shocked as to how poor we were and were very fortunate to win. We didn't string more than 2 passes together and were 2nd best to every ball. That saying the goals were well taken apart from free kick. Compare that to the games they showed last season against Leeds and Swindon where I was very impressed with our passing and played some lovely stuff. To me it seems we haven't improved unless the last 2 games were not the norm for the season so far.
  • Options
    Cor, it was a reet stinker !

Not much more to add to what NLA said.

Christ following this club is bloody hard, unrewarding work at times....
  • Options
    i only listened to it with walsall commentary and they just were saying how we were making it so easy for them. although we had been unbeaten for some time, it quite a few weeks since we have put in a decent team performance.

still,we might as well use this as an opportunity to have a dig at the fans though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]If you dont like it dont go...

I just dont get it, people want perfection, we are third division and at times this team, becasue our depth of squad is paper thin, is very poor, we got manger of the month, and we are playing against the bottom team.. it had a home loss written all over it...

and after some terrific, great, top stuff work, after 11 games unbeaten and lucrative cup tie secured, we put in the worst perfromance of the season, shit happens... and we just boo them off... call that support, I call that soft, weak... take it on the chin.. you are supposed to be supporters... If you cant take it.. dont go..

We are third division, we arent actually that good, and we will have times when it doesnt click..

Same arguments every time we lose, we lose we boo the team off, we are now getting to the point where if we draw or are drawing we boo the team off... I cant wait until we reach another new low when we start booing the team off after a win, just like when we booed our own player in the warm up.. to which he rightly took the mick when he scored ..

Interestingly I thought the crowd was really good apart from the booing .. tried to raise the atmosphere when the game wasnt going our way...

We fans have to be up for it too. I agree with what he said. You don't want the players hating the thought of playing at home. They do seem a lot more 'uo for it' on away games. Like in the second half at Luton.

we lost - I'm depressed. But you can't win em all. The fans have got to get behind the team for better or worse.

I just hope we don't have that post xmas slump.

I want to go to The Valley for the Swindom game. Hope the atmos is as good as the away games I go to.
  • Options
    Their goal was the whole game in a nutshell... pure frustration and slopiness.

Martin went down, looked a foul, referee waves it away, Fortune inexplicably lets the ball bounce and presumes it's going out, leaves the attacker in acres of space to loop the cross in, Francis knows Gray must've been behind him as he'd been glued to him all game yet ludicrously ducked the header and within a few seconds it was in. JF has been somewhat of a stalwart for us and has had a terrible injury, but I'm sorry he's gone both in the head and body, he's a shadow of his former self in all departments.

Bloody terrible.
  • Options
    Other than saying NLA and AFKA are right, I really don't know what to say. We were awful. Just indescribably bloody awful.

Were the new owners there? God help them if they were. They will have been totally appalled by that horror show and will already be working out how many players they need to bring in come January - and asking serious questions about whether Parkinson is their man.

We didn't just lose by a single goal. We were outplayed, out-classed, out-thought by a bottom of the table team who had more spirit , more ideas and more skill. Walsall should have won by three or four.

We couldn't pass. We couldn't close down. We couldn't do anything. Thought we were far worse than against Brighton - in fact, it was one of the most clueless performances I've seen in 40-something years.

How do 14 players , every man jack of them, perform to a mere fraction of their ability all afternoon? Not one hero out there today, with Fortune putting in one of the most atrocious performances I've ever seen in a Charlton shirt. Although to be honest nobody else was much better, Francis was as bad as he was against Luton at home and at the other end Benson was truly woeful. If the excuse is that he's not fit, why didn't Abbot or Sodje start? Several players seemed to be hiding. Why on earth would they do that when if they had turned up we could have gone within one point of Brighton?

Shocking. Shocking. Shocking. I didn't boo. I never do (sorry, I don't sing much either). But bloody hell, in my heart I wanted to boo and I cannot criticise those who let it all hang out.

What will the ''Parky is the new Curbs'' ra-ra cheerleaders have to say about that? They will keep very, very quiet indeed if they have any sense. Because that wasn't just a blip. And iIt wasn't just a defeat. It was abject surrender to the worst side in the division.
  • Options
    we were woeful Looked like we had 11 Ann Widdcombes playing.

I can only think it was delibarate. The players are obviously trying to put off the possible new owners in case they do take over the club invest some money on new players and they loose their place in the team
  • Options
    To try and overcome our frustration, here's an idea:
    Harry Redknapp must have had someone at the Valley to watch us. Imagine his report and Harry's grin.
    We can reasonably imagine he won't be facing such poor opposition.
  • Options
    Worst game of football I have seen dished up at The Valley possibly ever and I have Been a regular since 1961. All the players bar Doherty were truly awful and please someone explain to Parky that Elliot is not good enough for even this division.