Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Swindon fan here...

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]They served to us, allbeit in another stand, at the league game I think.

They did, but it was one woman behind a small cage! cannot see the open aired stand serving beer. Nervous, cold & thirsty....great.

where's the nearest needle exchange then?
  • [cite]Posted By: STFC_Bloke[/cite]I would say nervously confident!

The play offs are 3 one off games where form matters for nothing. If Billy and Charlie are on form then we have a good chance.

You're a very good side though, will be 2 tight games.

Your thoughts?

When you came to the Valley at Christmas, I wasn't that impressed with Swindon even when we went down to 10 men. When we went down to 9, you we're a different class. Didn't see the match at the County in Feb but by all accounts we were awful. If I'm honest, I'd rather be playing Swindon in the first stages than Millwall or Huddersfield because we've probably got a better chance of going through. I'm very wary of Austin and Paynter. If we can keep them quiet over the two legs then we'll go through.
  • [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]They served to us, allbeit in another stand, at the league game I think.

They did, but it was one woman behind a small cage! cannot see the open aired stand serving beer. Nervous, cold & thirsty....great.

May have to invest in a hip flask.

What you dont have on???? cant be real charlton ;oP
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

where's the nearest needle exchange then?

Im sure there's plenty in Swindon mate.
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]

May have to invest in a hip flask.

What you dont have on???? cant be real charlton ;oP

You're thinking of Thermos Flasks Johnny.
  • edited May 2010
    I didn't go to The Valley on Boxing Day but apparently we played well?

When you came to our place, I was very disappointed not to have won.

Our team isn't just the Paynter & Austin show though. Scott Cuthbert at CB who we bought from Celtic has been superb this season along with Jonathan Douglas and Simon Ferry in midfield.

Will you miss Shelvey much?
  • [cite]Posted By: STFC_Bloke[/cite]

Will you miss Shelvey much?

Not now but maybe in the future, couldn't really fit in the squad at present but no doubt has the potential and probably suffered from not playing with better players

Reason people worry about Austin & Paynter as they goal machines which is worrying as means they only need half a chance to score, something we would love
  • My main worry is Nicky Forester!! He always, always, always scores against us!
  • edited May 2010
    TBH the Boxing Day game was a battering. We were well well on top apart from 15 minutes in the 2nd half when it looked like the circumstances had got the better of us. Nine men and we had something like 60% possession and 10 chances, hit the post and one off the line so the late equaliser was a bit of a false indication. With 11 v 11 I think we would have won fairly handsomely. Shame we had a couple of wallies that day or that would've been 2 points in the bank.

The away affair was scrappy, we were on a bad run around losing at home to Orient, drawing at home to Tranmere, losing to Rovers away and the 4-5-1 doesn't work with Akpo up front as his hold up play is so inferior to Deon's (who was injured and confined to a sub appearance)... Swindon were neat and tidy, not dominant but comfortable, 1-1 probably flattered us but we kept the lads up front quiet and kept going and played the game out so credit there. I remember Swindon smacking the bar from range which could've been curtains.

On balance, despite 2 90' equalisers I think we shaded the pair overall.

As for Shelvey, was barely in the team for hidden reasons yet to be alleged. No miss at all to the end of this season as he probably would've been a half an hour man from the bench. The miss is on what could have been if we had him at his peak or at least in his early 20's helping us back through the leagues.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: STFC_Bloke[/cite]I would say nervously confident!

The play offs are 3 one off games where form matters for nothing. If Billy and Charlie are on form then we have a good chance.

You're a very good side though, will be 2 tight games.

Your thoughts?

Don't really agree with this form goes out the window in the play-offs. It's true anything can happen at any given time during a football season (form always has to change at somepoint) but sides carrying momentum from the last half a dozen games of the regular season tend to do best in the play-offs - Notts Forest may have been 3rd for example, but Blackpool were on a real roll going into those 2 games and it showed.

Forest were unbeaten at home since September and hadn't conceded a goal at home since February 6th. I'd say that's not exactly bad form.
    [cite]Posted By: STFC_Bloke[/cite]I didn't go to The Valley on Boxing Day but apparently we played well?

You were total rubbish until we went down to 9 men, then you dominated the game (as a team with a 2 man advantage should). We got an unexpected late equaliser. Personally i think we'd have rolled you over with all 11 men still on the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking forward to Friday. Never had a problem with Swindon.

Remember having some really good banter with their fans in the early 90s. A rusting old stand was split and we were in the corner. Laughed my little legs off when they did the 'Give us an S, WUBBLE U'

LOL - Grown men saying 'wubble u'. Please don't tell me you still do that ?

Also remember Swing Low getting changed to 'Swindle, the taaaxman, coming forth to swindle your taaaaax'

And the ridiculously camp 'we're crazy, we're barmy, we're Steve n Alan's army'

Good times. Played some decent football under Hoddle then.
  • I remember going to Swindon when they had Michael Carrick running the show for them in midfield
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I remember going to Swindon when they had Michael Carrick running the show for them in midfield

West Ham think they're 'The Academy' but it's actually us :D

We've had James Milner, Shay Given and Carrick all wear the red and white shirt.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Looking forward to Friday. Never had a problem with Swindon.

Remember having some really good banter with their fans in the early 90s. A rusting old stand was split and we were in the corner. Laughed my little legs off when they did the 'Give us an S, WUBBLE U'

LOL - Grown men saying 'wubble u'. Please don't tell me you still do that ?

We still do that chant!
    We've had James Milner, Shay Given and Carrick all wear the red and white shirt.

I had that Michael Winner in the back of my cab the other day........
  • Is is Swindon that has the little kiosk on the left as you enter the away end that sells some proper decent fish & chips?

Or is my memory playing tricks on me. Definitely was an open end terrace somewhere. Must stop drinking so much before the game, struggle to remember anything!
  • Ah Michael Carrick another obvious that Curbs' refused to sign on two occasions, before he exploded past our afforadbility rate. Still at least we had Darren Bent.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Is is Swindon that has the little kiosk on the left as you enter the away end that sells some proper decent fish & chips?

Or is my memory playing tricks on me. Definitely was an open end terrace somewhere. Must stop drinking so much before the game, struggle to remember anything!

Can't be us. The chips are rank!

The chip shop opposite the fire station is awesome though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    Forest were unbeaten at home since September and hadn't conceded a goal at home since February 6th. I'd say that's not exactly bad form.

True, but Balckpool won 6 of their last 8 including beating Forest and only lost to Newcastle. Forest on the other hand only won 3 of their last 8.
  • Ah Michael Carrick another obvious that Curbs' refused to sign on two occasions, before he exploded past our afforadbility rate. Still at least we had Darren Bent.
    Is there a story to that, or was it a case of him being available and just one of those players we might have been able to sign?
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought we tried to sign Carrick when he went to Spurs?
  • SFTC-Bloke - Isn't there any street parking then ?
  • Yes some but you'll need to get there bloody early.

There are sometimes a couple of spaces down Shrivenham Road behind the Don Rogers stand.
  • STFC - as of 11.30 this morning you lot still had 600 tickets left for your game at our place and they've been put on general sale. That's a poor show.
  • FFS, I can't be bothered to argue!

They have only just been put on general sale!!!!

We haven't got as many fans as the mighty Charlton of course.
  • [cite]Posted By: STFC_Bloke[/cite] They have only just been put on general sale!!!!

Well your official site is lying then as they went on general sale yesterday.
  • What does it matter ....?
  • We've sold just under 3,000 according to the Facebook updates we get from the club.

The OS is slightly behind.
    Im slightly behind.

Fixed your post no offense this is boring me now who cares we shall see on the days for both
  • LOL

Cheers!