Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 0 Norwich 1 - Post Match Views

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]really only 1% out of play offs , i have such a eneasy feeling with saints goal yesterday and the 2 unddersfield got in injury time on tuesday

i think the other sides will slip up ... it's a pony league and even pardews boys will end the season on more points(before the deduction) than we'll have, despite their crap start
  • i think exeter is a big banana skin
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]i think exeter is a big banana skin

we'll hopefully do what we did at mk dons nick a goal and sit back on our lead and it will be great stuff from us, unlike when norwich employed the same tactic .............

sheff wednesday just gone 1 up come on!! luke varney assist , good player!
  • We're starting to put the good performances back in again and I think we will be in the play-offs along with the rest of the current bunch. Even though Southampton have got an easy run in (3 home games and 1 away game, at Gillingham), they've still got too much to do.

However, I'm still holding out hope for that auto spot!!!!
  • Needing a Goal scorer has been a problem for the last 3 seasons.
    Racon was superb today and a draw was the least we deserved
  • JTJT
    edited April 2010
    Just frustrating.

Deserved to win, just one of those days. Gives me confidence going into Exeter & Leeds though
  • Team is looking solid and well balanced.Plenty of attacking options and a healthy competition for places.
    Burton back is a big plus.Shelvey's distribution and technique should be a major contributor in the last half hour.
    We seem to be peaking at the right time.
  • Good to be going into the playoffs with a bit of form, but the weaknesses we have had all season were still obvious to see. I thought up to when they scored Norwich looked as dangerous as us, with much less possession.

Massive improvement on the post-Christmas slump however.
  • I actually really enjoyed seeing us play so well, as a team, and create plenty of chances. Semedo was superb, as was Dailly, esp acting as one-man defence in the last ten mins with no problem. I was getting really fed up with Racon in the first half, as he barely seemed to touch the ball, but don't know what was said or done to him at half-time, because he really showed his class in the second half.

I still reckoned we were going to get something until about the 80th minute, then it just semed to slip away. We definitely lost shape and some of our drive after Semedo went off, although compeltely understood why that substitution was made at the time. Crowd overall was good, and delighted that we cheered them off at the end - felt we could have done more to urge them on in the last ten and keep the energy up. Will need to improve on that in the play-offs ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Paul Walsh 79[/cite]Shelvey's distribution and technique should be a major contributor in the last half hour.

Not when for 20 minutes of that last half hour he's still warming the bench
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Paul Walsh 79[/cite]Shelvey's distribution and technique should be a major contributor in the last half hour.

Not when for 20 minutes of that last half hour he's still warming the bench
    Isn't that what he's saying? He said should be a major contributor, but we didn't bring him on early enough.
  • The performance was excellent. If we play like that for the rest of the season we will have a real chance.

Can’t remember the last time at the Valley we were losing at both half and full time and yet we was not booed off but cheered off.
  • It's all in the lap of the footballing gods now...Let us pray
  • edited April 2010
    Never expect any surprises from Parkinson, gone are those days when sometimes we would beat the top sides in the Prem when we were the underdogs. We lose against Southampton and now Norwich, no suprises there, let's face it we all knew it would be too much to ask. Will we beat Leeds, come on parkinson surprise me, say you have something up your sleeve, prove me wrong and get a result, I might just start being positive again?
  • [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]Never expect any surprises from Parkinson, gone are those days when sometimes we would beat the top sides in the Prem when we were the underdogs. We lose against Southampton and now Norwich, no suprises there, let's face it we all knew it would be too much to ask. Will we beat Leeds, come on parkinson surprise me, say you have something up your sleeve, prove me wrong and get a result, I might just start being positive again?
    Comes down to the players now. Parky has got them organised, we look solid and confident, just need those moments of quality from our attacking players to score a goal, and the team to be solid for an entire game. We've conceded twice in five games, so we know they can do it.
  • A player like Jonjo needs at least 30minutes to stamp his presence.He is not a quick impact player like Wagstaffe or Kyel and needs to get a few touches in and a couple of simple passes.Once his confidence is up then he can start creating and getting in that box.He can finish because he picks up the right positions.The Carlisle misses had
    a lot to do with a lack of match practice hence the lack of composure. Plus he was unlucky with the one where he turned two defenders in the box.
  • edited April 2010
    one of our best performance of the season and very hard to criticise anyone. Can nit-pick and tell Racon to actually shoot and not ponce around too much, can iradicate schoolboy errors like the last minute free-kick and can tell Borrowdale not to take shots from a free-kick, he's never scored a league goal and never likely to. Other than that thought we done all we could but were unlucky and came up against a keeper in form. Last ten minutes we seemed to run out of ideas but when you are trying to get round a ten man wall it isn't easy and in the end our lump it in and see what happens ploy played into their hands but it had to be done. Play like that the rest of the season and we are in with a chance. If we had played half as well as that in the last 15 games we wouldn't be in the position to worry about it.

Thought the chants of 'boring, boring Norwich' were funny and they certainly sent it back tenfold with 'you're ground's too big for you'.
  • I'm surprised nobody has commented on how we were suddenly able to dominate a side that's run away with the division (shame about the result though). The defence stepped up 20 yards, sometimes Randolf was the only player in our half, and the midfield were able to string short passes together. I thought Akpo was a big miss when he went off, he was worrying their defence and showing he can be effective when the ball isn't lumped up to him. Impressed with the way we kept the ball on the deck, and I thought Shelvey's cameo in front of the defence is his best position, as he hasn't got the pace to play further forward.
  • Wow - a performance at last. We will find it tough to go up, but we looked like a football team. Short midfield passes AT LAST. Racon and Semedo looking like a partnership. A Sodje too lazy for this team though. Manager done well. Had the difficult job of taking off players who had done well to get some fresh legs. Brave decisions and no complaints. However, we must get JJ in the team as he could be the difference for the playoffs. I cant see automatic as I think 9 points still wont do it.
  • Singing 'boring boring Norwich' after 5 straight 1-0's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done to the team on any other day we would have won. I have hope now if we play like that in the playoffs.

Exciting times ahead with plenty of twists!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]Will we beat Leeds, come on parkinson surprise me, say you have something up your sleeve, prove me wrong and get a result, I might just start being positive again?[/quote]

I wouldn't hold you breath. If Parkinson isn't going to be a bit more adventious with his team selection in a game where we had everything to gain and nothing to lose, against a side without it's 2 best players and which had clearly come looking for a point then when is he going to do it?

I think that not starting with Reid was a big mistake and then not bringing on either Reid or JJ at half time was an even bigger one. Norwich were there for the taking had Parkinson shown a bit more courage from the start imo.

I'm not faulting the players who gave everything they had but when you consider the other results and the mindset of the oppersition, that was a massive oppertunity to get automatic promotion back in our own hands wasted.
  • Thoroughly enjoyed what was my fist match for far too long. Only the result spoilt the day - how we didn't win that I'll never know.

Thought we played really well; much better than I'd been expecting. Can't fault the players for effort, they didn't stop from first minute to last. A touch more quality in front of goal and we'd have won easily - although their keeper was outstanding. Can't pick out any individuals, the whole team did well. Crowd was also better that I'd feared, didn't hear any moaning or booing (apart from the woman behind me, but she used to do that when we were in the Prem, and to be fair she must have had a go at every player at one point or another, so it's not like she's picking on one or two).

Was a shame to see Norwich sit deep and just defend, but you can't blame them for that. They did their jobs well.
  • edited April 2010
    i thought the game was a great advert for league 1. we played very well and created some good chances but this was probably the first match all season we genuinely deserved more than we got. all is not lost..nothing has changed
  • Great match and very unlucky!! I just felt in the 10 or so minutes JJ showed he is so much more comfortable in a midfield pairing.
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Great match and very unlucky!! I just felt in the 10 or so minutes JJ showed he is so much more comfortable in a midfield pairing.

Only thought on that Bourne is that Norwich were so deep when JJ was on, its extrmely difficult to judge how comfortable he would be. He basically had the freedom of the pitch up until the last third.
  • My coverage of the match was via Charlton Life and a Norwich text commentary from a number of their fans. Assuming CL has a natural bias towards us ... although you would think the opposite sometimes! ... the Norwich commentary gave a good indication of the game from their perspective ... and they were crapping themselves.

They saw us as the better team and would have been relieved to get a draw let alone a win. They expressed a real concern that without two key players they had no cutting edge ... having said that, they won. But even they admitted that it was not particularly deserved.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Great match and very unlucky!! I just felt in the 10 or so minutes JJ showed he is so much more comfortable in a midfield pairing.[/quote]

Only thought on that Bourne is that Norwich were so deep when JJ was on, its extrmely difficult to judge how comfortable he would be. He basically had the freedom of the pitch up until the last third.[/quote]

true my point is that he looked far more comfortable with options ahead of him and spreding the ball than he does with his back to goal or trying to find a lone stiker ahead of him. The only way we will know is to play him there
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]Will we beat Leeds, come on parkinson surprise me, say you have something up your sleeve, prove me wrong and get a result, I might just start being positive again?[/quote]

I wouldn't hold you breath. If Parkinson isn't going to be a bit more adventious with his team selection in a game where we had everything to gain and nothing to lose, against a side without it's 2 best players and which had clearly come looking for a point then when is he going to do it?

I think that not starting with Reid was a big mistake and then not bringing on either Reid or JJ at half time was an even bigger one. Norwich were there for the taking had Parkinson shown a bit more courage from the start imo.

I'm not faulting the players who gave everything they had but when you consider the other results and the mindset of the oppersition, that was a massive oppertunity to get automatic promotion back in our own hands wasted.[/quote]

Well we are still in with a shout,the problem being that if he were to be too adventurous we could well have been properly turned over,like you I would have had Reid out there earlier, but then you look at it, when he came on he was pants. Jonjo looked good, assured on the ball and incisive, but woth them playing so deep not sure more activity through the middle would have been the answer.

Assuming we are still in with a shout when Leeds come calling, I would not make too many if any changes.
  • edited April 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]Will we beat Leeds, come on parkinson surprise me, say you have something up your sleeve, prove me wrong and get a result, I might just start being positive again?[/quote]

I'm not faulting the players who gave everything they had but when you consider the other results and the mindset of the oppersition, that was a massive oppertunity to get automatic promotion back in our own hands wasted.[/quote]

Well we are still in with a shout,the problem being that if he were to be too adventurous we could well have been properly turned over,like you I would have had Reid out there earlier, but then you look at it, when he came on he was pants. Jonjo looked good, assured on the ball and incisive, but woth them playing so deep not sure more activity through the middle would have been the answer.

Assuming we are still in with a shout when Leeds come calling, I would not make too many if any changes.[/quote]

Valid points however, it was clear pretty early on that Norwich didn't have much in the way of cutting edge without Holt and Holahan and given that a win would have put 2nd spot back in our own hands, I would have had no complaints if we'd got turned over chasing the win and would have happily defended Parkinson's decision for doing so.