Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 0 Norwich 1 - Post Match Views

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
Can't believe we didn't get something from the game...very good performance the lads tried their gut's out....sometimes it just 'aint your day.

Comments

• Gutsy performance, just wasn't our day.
  • It's not all over though ........ still to come Leeds at home, and Millwall playing Swindon - 2 huge games and not all of those 4 sides can win.

We must just make sure that we win, and (hope!) Millwall v Swindon is a draw!
  • swindon at stockport saturday
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]swindon at stockport saturday

No, no, no Mr Nolly.

Huddersfield at Stockport on Saturday.

Swindle Town go to mighty Wycombe Wonderers.
  • your right,a weak team though
  • Cant believe that. No complaints about the performance, thought everyone was exceptional today. Just found a goalkeeper on a good day stand in our way. Norwich did a smash and grab.....thought they were a pretty bad side. Thats the difference though and why they are going up, they took their chance.....we didnt.
  • Very very unlucky. The keeper played well. Although I don't think any of our forwards played well.

Thought we shot our bolt after 75-80mins and Norwich were pretty comfortable for the last 10mins.

Was absolutely fuming in the last seconds. We loaded the box, Randolph went forward and what do we do? Some ridiculous short free-kick that led to them breaking away and could have seen Dailly sent off had he mistimed the required tackle.
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Very very unlucky. The keeper played well. Although I don't think any of our forwards played well.

Thought we shot our bolt after 75-80mins and Norwich were pretty comfortable for the last 10mins.

Was absolutely fuming in the last seconds. We loaded the box, Randolph went forward and what do we do? Some ridiculous short free-kick that led to them breaking away and could have seen Dailly sent off had he mistimed the required tackle.

Oh yes clem...I'd almost forgotten that 'magical' moment....what were they thinking of?
  • PP has gotta ruck Ried and whoever else was standing over that free-kick. It amazes me the mentality of our plyers sometimes!...do they ever use their savy!
  • don't take anything away from norwch. Went up deservedly after holding us at bay. They stood up to our onsult well and with confidence that comes from winning. and then their keeper pulls of 3 or even maybe 4 great saves.

We played some of our best football of the season and grafted all day but just weren't able to get the breakthrough.

It happens. On th exeter
  • Sponsored links:

• Am gutted.

It just wasn't going to be our day. For all the possession and half chances we had, I'm a little disappointed of the fact we won't ever play a game again in the opposition half as much, yet didn't really carve out enough clear cut chances.

Can't fault any players today though, huge endevour, and if we are going to take any positives from defeat it is that are playing much much better than we have for the past 4-5 months.

No slacking now though, this level of performance must be carried into the play offs.

We will win a lot of games playing worse than we did today.
  • Weren't our day.

But we are playing better and that bodes well for us in the playoffs

As you were, but our GD to Leeds and Millwall means we rely on them dropping points.

Not impossible though and we have two very winnable away games and a home game which requires a big performance

If we win all 3 thats all we can do, if we don't make top 2 then play offs I think our new found resilience over th epast few weeks puts us in a decent position
  • I thought we were completely dominant but just lacked the cutting edge. Still had to applaud the players after the defeat because the effort was amazing.

With games running out, it now looks nailed on for the play-offs, but at least we are playing well in the build up to that.

Special mention to Semedo - fantastic display
  • Great Performance. Can't believe we got nothing. Makes it all the more galling when you consider everyone else dropped points.
    Everyone seemed up for it. Closing down quickly and chasing every ball which was so good to see. We didn't let them play. Semedo was awesome. Despite this though, and an excellent performance from Forster in goal for them, I think overall, the game showed how much we are missing a proper goalscorer.
  • Despite the result, the performance was encouraging - and this bodes well for getting into good form for the playoffs (although, you never know....)

Congratulations to Norwich - that's a really good way to come back from a proper tonking first day of the season. We deserved something from the game, but it just wasn't to be. Not for want of trying, though - which is a really good sign.
  • Can't fault the team today their keeper was MOM they were battered and they knew it
  • Agree with you Bigre Devil, if it is to be the play offs, at least we look in reasonable shape. Have to say though, that despite all our shots on target I don't think their goalie made a save he shouldn't have saved. Whilst I think DR made an excellent save in the first half.
  • Semedo: love that player. played a blinder, gets subbed for tactical reasons - no whining and he sprints off the pitch not to waste time for us - what a pro.
  • I am gutted
  • So disappointed. Couldn't fault the effort, but agree with others about the lack of cutting edge when it mattered.

It also didn't help that their keeper had one of those games where he just wasn't going to be beaten - a couple of great saves and others that just went straight at him.

Play like that for the next three games - and maybe three after that - and we stand a very good chance of going up.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Have to say though, that despite all our shots on target I don't think their goalie made a save he shouldn't have saved. Whilst I think DR made an excellent save in the first half.

Eh?
  • A great performance, every man gave their best, we made a good team look very ordinary. So sad we couldn't get a couple of richly deserved goals.
  • great performance from us that just lacked that killer instinct in front of goal. That cock up at the end with our free kick was so annoying. Trying to complicate things when a simple ball in the box would have sufficed. And why did Racon not have a first time shot instead of trying to walk into the net??? Just put your bleeding boot through it! Semedo definitely man of the match. Confident we can win our last three games after today though. Bring on dirty Leeds!
  • Everyone played well but I really think if we had started with an actual winger on the left we would have won the game. First half in particular, Bailey was involved a lot out wide, but couldn't deliver/beat his man in the way Reid would have. So frustrating.

Also, as stated, Semedo was immense. We really do play much better with him in the team, even when chasing the game. I would have taken Bailey off as the first sub and pushed Racon into the advanced role, for Semedo brings such much control and calmness into our midfield, which we lack in a Racon/Bailey pairing as one of the two has to drop back too far to have an impact.

Saying that, it just wasn't our day in the final third. DIdn't have a lucky deflection or anything, and Norwich did their job well. Remember they won today without their two best players this season, but it's just annoying that all the other results went our way and we didn't get the result to capitalise!
  • Gutted as the performance deserved so much more and doubly gutted as the other teams all lost or drew. Think we just lacked a cutting edge up front..... Play like that in the next 3 games and we'll give ourselves a chance but will be relying on other teams dropping points from now on in.
  • A tale of two Forsters.

One who kept the ball out of the net and one who couldn't quite put the ball in it.

No recriminations they all gave everything for the shirt but a mixture of inspired goalkeeping and poor finishing conspired against us.

If we play like that in the play-offs we will give ourselves a chance.
  • [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]but agree with others about the lack of cutting edge when it mattered.
    Most games don't end up with our opponents purely just sitting back in numbers deep in their own half for at least 50 minutes. It's very hard to break down confident teams playing like that. Getting the first goal is so important and will be in the play off games (ideally we won't need them!)
  • I thought it was pretty average. Ok we haven't set the world alight over the past 4-5 months, but pretty pissed off that we are unable to play ball to feet football. There was no way we were going to score goals against a resiliant Norwich back four that were all a fair size in height. To stick asbo up there as a Carl Leaburn hit man was not my idea of positive attacking football. I would have rather seen Sam and Shelvey being given the chance to attack the back four with ball to feet football. Then again, I have been dreaming of that since November last year.
  • like AFKA and Creepy.....

Gutted
  • I thought we were the better team, Racon & Semedo run the midfield, defence was solid, the goal was a good cross that took out everyone. It was a really good performance just a shame it wasn't our day. The way the results went it was meant for Norwich, just one of those things.

Our recent performances have been much better we look much more solid and I think we have a chance in the play offs, albeit won't give up yet on auto promotion although the odds are against us.

Previously against Leyton Tranmere & Stockport we were not solid or convincing and leaking goals, I didn't even think we would make the play offs, so it has been a good turn around.

If we beat Leeds in the next home game I suspect we will open the door for Millwall, but not a bad thing going in to the play offs.

Defeat is sometimes something you have to take on the chin if your team have given everthing and today they did.