Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 0 Norwich 1 - Post Match Views

Comments

• Also gutted............

but then, best performance all season and if we can take that form into the play-off's then we stand a good chance.

awesome display by ALL the team.........even Akpo Sodje played his part, some great headers and even better on the floor.
  • i cant believe we lost this game best we played for ages still think we can do it but its out of our hands now just got to keep going and hope a little bit of luck comes our way , put it this way we are charlton athletic football club and as we all know we never do anything easy.
  • edited April 2010
    Can't really add to what others have said. Tricky to say how Norwich would have played it second half without their goal but overall very pleased with the appplication of the team, some of them out on their feet at the end, a bit more aggression in front of goal and we'd have been looking at a totally different outcome. We could still be playing now and I don't think we'd have scored today.

Special mention for Dailly. At the end of the season, at his age, I thought he was best player on the park and hardly put a foot wrong (unless it was his man for their goal - couldn't see!). Doherty for them was pretty good too. Must have been a day for the oldies...
  • Left the ground disappointed but not with that head down, mumbling sort of 'what a load of t***ers' feeling. They played the best they could and it wasn't quite good enough.
  • Dailly was imense back to early season form, gutted at the defeat and hoping the players don't lose heart
  • Don't mind losing if we play like that. Well done to the manager for raising them for the second half. Worrying how their centre backs can get close range free headers, but not to take away from a brilliant performance and genuine effort from some players that have been accused of lacking heart in the past.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Semedo: love that player. played a blinder, gets subbed for tactical reasons - no whining and he sprints off the pitch not to waste time for us - what a pro.
    *stands up and salutes*
    Hard to think of a player that more embodies professionalism. And, while I thought it was right to take off our more defensive mid at the time, we did lose a bit of edge once he'd gone. Not sure if that was co-incidence.
  • Thought everyone was absolutely fantastic!Im so gutted we didnt get at least the point we thoroughly deserved but it could have been alot worse, they could have turned up and clinched promotion by playing us off the park....it was far from that, infact it was the other way round!By the way i notice alot of people bigging up semedo and rightly so, but i thought racon along with dailly were absolute top draw today!Racon and Semedo are just awesome in the middle of the park, not many midfield partnerships come better than that in the championship let alone league 1, just cant understand why racon hasnt played like that for a larger majority of the season!
  • Played very well.Kept the ball and played with a bit of pride and passion.That's all i ever ask for.
  • Winning teams score goals
  • Sponsored links:

• It's fair to say we will win matches playing worse than that. All you can ever ask is that your team gives their all, if you lose then lose with honour. I felt we did that today. Norwich offered little in attack but defended very well, a real smash and grab but over the course of the season they have been the best side and deserve to go up. Given a little rub of the green and a lesser keeper in opposition and I am confident we can give it a real go in the last 3 games. Up the addicks!
  • That b''''y goalkeeper of theirs was immense, did he have some kind of ball magnet under his shirt? Mind you they were very good defensively in general, their number 3 looked good.
  • Thats the point newbie, the keeper did seem to be magnetized! Norwich gave a text book performance in defending to be fair and that is the bedrock of a good side. Sometimes you go away and win ugly. If we do that next week at Exeter I won't complain.
  • The spark that went missing mid season seems to have returned to the team and we are playing with real spirit and belief again.
    We took the game to Norwich especially second half, and had we got a result it would have been richly deserved.
    That we didn't you have to congratulate Norwich for a sound defensive display against relentless pressure.

I hope we can win the last three and nick second but if not, like others have said, we are looking good for the play-offs on this form.
  • There were occasions when our final ball let us down, but that has been the case all season.
    Cannot fault the commitment nor much of the football we played after Norwich went ahead. (In fairness they let us have the ball)
    Their Keeper was excellent and given normal luck we could easily have won the game. Such a shame given the other results.
    Thought the fans stayed with it.
    Sorry to see Akpo get injured (presumably) but personally don't think he is the answer.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]There were occasions when our final ball let us down, but that has been the case all season.
    Cannot fault the commitment nor much of the football we played after Norwich went ahead. (In fairness they let us have the ball)
    Their Keeper was excellent and given normal luck we could easily have won the game. Such a shame given the other results.
    Thought the fans stayed with it.
    Sorry to see Akpo get injured (presumably) but personally don't think he is the answer.[/quote]

At this level you can't really expect every ball to be pinpoint precise. At least the other results were favourable and we remain in with a shout still
  • Already been said I know but losing is not a problem when it's obvious that every player gave his all. We can give anyone a game when we are like today. Dailly was awesome.
  • Not going to bother picking little holes in what was a hard fought match. Just wanted to say Dailly was fantastic today
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Not going to bother picking little holes in what was a hard fought match. Just wanted to say Dailly was fantastic today[/quote]

Agreed
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Not going to bother picking little holes in what was a hard fought match. Just wanted to say Dailly was fantastic today

Agreed

What with all that pressure they put on our back four.

As they say, 'if you've nothing to say, say nothing.'
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Not going to bother picking little holes in what was a hard fought match. Just wanted to say Dailly was fantastic today

Agreed

What with all that pressure they put on our back four.

As they say, 'if you've nothing to say, say nothing.'

What are you talking about?
  • All I ask for as a fan is the team I watch give it their all and that's what I got today.
  • Just watched the highlights on the box and confirmed my impression that their keeper deserved a lot of credit.

That save from Burton in particular was even better than I thought this afternoon.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Just watched the highlights on the box and confirmed my impression that their keeper deserved a lot of credit.

That save from Burton in particular was even better than I thought this afternoon.

Oh no Len, all bog standard saves that any keeper would've made apparently.

Honestly, I do sometimes wonder what game people are watching or just what they expect.
  • First 20 minutes or so of the 2nd half was about the best we've played all season. High tempo, good football but some of the shooting was woeful.
  • Thought the crowd were excellent today,but was very dissapointed by the number of gaps in the stands, if we can't get 22-25k for a game like this?? I hope we win ant Exeter and then for the leeds game the absentees turn up.

Regarding BBC coverage,supossed to be highlights but no showing of the off side goal. Thought that was a penalty in the 2nd half, did not reallyu notice it during the game.
  • Dailly had a great game, so did Smedo, can't understand why take him off and put Baily in to the middle and then take him off ten minutes later. As for that freekick in the last minute WTF.
  • For the first twenty minutes is was pretty even though Norwich did look dangerous. Once they scored we took the game to them and we did everything but score. Their goalkeeper made 4 good saves - two of them very good, two of them he did what he had to do.

Norwich didn't have Holt and Hoolahan which made all the difference though.

I would have hoped we could beat a Norwich side without their two most influential players but it wasn't to be. We just lacked a quality cutting edge.

We've played much better over the last 7 days, so I have some hope for the play-offs. I don't think we'll score more points than all of Leeds, Millwall and Swindon over the next 3 games, so we'd better start preparing for the play offs.

Dailly had a brilliant game, but it was his man who scored the goal. Semedo was MOM for me - absolutely immense.

Lloyd Sam looked knackered with 20 minutes to go and I would have brough on Jon Jo for him, Reid out wide left Bailey out wide right and Jon Jo behind the front two.

We worked tirelessly but couldn't unpick their defense. The free kick in the last minute was school boy - you MUST get that ball in the box!
  • Agreed with most comments. Dailly, Racon & Semedo we immense. Glad Hoolahan didn't play, he gave us a torrid time last year. We did all but score and it was a day when even the deflections went straight to their keeper and not around him.

That said, our corners are simply not good enough. vs Colchester in the week we mixed it up with short corners and Sam getting the ball in (whose crossing has got better all season) but yesterday we probably had 5 corners before Norwich scored from theirs. Ours either didn't get past the first man or went straight to the keeper.

As for the last minute free kick debacle, I hope DR gave Reid a smack in the dressing room afterwards. I would have done had I run 90 yards for that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]The spark that went missing mid season seems to have returned
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Dailly was awesome.

Dailly, my POTY