Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Player of the season - Christian Dailly *** Young Player - Scott Wagstaff

1235»

Comments

• i wouldnt worry weegie. He should be grateful i wasnt there. What is he? A mouse?
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]i wouldnt worry weegie. He should be grateful i wasnt there. What is he? A mouse?

These tough Northerners, eh? ;-) I just hope he thinks I'm more scary than the wingers he'll come up against in the playoffs...
    I bet Darren Randolph won't let him hear the end of it, mind you...
  • Mr K & 2 'erberts.....nullMr K & 2 'erberts.....
  • Looks a bit worse for wear there Jonjo! Too much Champagne since the Liverpool move!
  • Defender Christian Dailly was named Charlton's 2009/10 player of the year on Sunday night.

The 36-year-old centre-half just pipped Portuguese powerhouse Jose Semedo to the prestigious accolade in the closest fans' vote for years. Skipper Nicky Bailey, the winner of the Charlton Athletic Supporters' Club award last year, finished in third place.

Winger Scott Wagstaff, who has featured in every matchday squad this term, was named young player of the year by the club's management team at the end-of-season dinner at The Valley.

"I feel very proud," Dailly told the official website. "There are a number of players in our team who I'm sure that were up there, the likes of Jose Semedo, Nicky Bailey, Fraser Richardson - countless others who have done so well.

"I'm as proud as it's possible to feel. When you look at the names on the trophy from previous years, it's a real honour and so nice to be appreciated like that.

"I put a lot into my football, and it's a big part of my life - Charlton has become a big part of my life, so to get appreciation like that means an awful lot."

Just one per cent of the vote separated Dailly from Semedo. Bailey was also named the Charlton Athletic Disabled Supporters' Association Player of the Year, while Lloyd Sam's goal, which rounded off a great team move against Brentford in September, was named goal of the season.

Christian said: ""The way I approach games, I aim to leave the ground at the end of the match knowing that I've given as much as it's possible for me to give that week, physically and mentally.

"Sometimes you get credit for that, sometimes you don't, but it's so nice to be at a club like Charlton - I feel like I've here here for ages. It makes me very proud."

He added: "I've always been second or third in the end-of-season awards, it's happened a number of times for me in these kind of things.

"I think what's different now is that maybe I'm enjoying my football a bit more than ever before.

"The management we have here is real top quality; the staff that we have, right the way down the medical team, the doctor and the fitness boys, everyone is terrific."

Despite a hoarse voice from his shouting during the previous day's dramatic victory against Leeds United, Dailly took the time to speak to as many fans as possible at the CASC dinner.

"I sometimes get a little problem from all the talking and shouting I do on the pitch," he laughed. "It's particularly bad this time.

"I had a sore throat on the Friday and the doc told me to rest my voice, but it's not easy when you're playing in front of 23,000 loud fans, as we were doing yesterday, and it's an important part of my game."

Discussing his relationship with the fans, he said: "It's a two-way thing. I'm just thankful for the support I've received right from the very first day when I came to the club.

"When you consider the disappointments for the supporters over the past few years, I think the backing this year has been superb - we've probably got no right to expect that level of backing.

"That was epitomised by the crowd against Leeds."

During his acceptance speech, Dailly paid tribute to the efforts of the Valley faithful during the 1-0 victory against the Whites that continues the club's dream of automatic promotion.

"I meant what I said in there," he said. "That game would have finished 0-0 without the fans - it was their singing and their support that willed the ball into the net. That's how much it means to us, and how much it means to me personally."
  • Sponsored links:

• So who was Sodje no 3 in that photo on the last page?
  • fantastic pics guys, reading this, seeing and the shirt sponser night thread and seeing the performances we are putting on I really feel that the feel good factor is buzzing round the valley again. Dailly, what a top top man, great comments. Looks like a great night had by all. Which Sodje brother is that with Sam and Akpo? Steve? or Efe ? Or is it former addick Omne?
  • [cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite]Dailly, what a top top man, great comments.
    I echo your thoughts Super. It was noticeable that Christian was the last one there chatting to people. Fair play to all of them for giving up their time for the supporters, but he went above and beyond (as usual).
  • edited May 2010
    Dailly is a top guy, and I really hope we keep him next season - whatever division we're in.

Hmmm - from these pics, Frazer is the only one who seems to be wearing the same clothes he had on at the sponsors' dinner. You'd think on footballers' wages that he'd be able to afford more than one tie... ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Looks a bit worse for wear there Jonjo! Too much Champagne since the Liverpool move!

lol i thought that aswell he looked smashed, i hope he's 18 now and not underage drinking? ;o)
  • Robbies silks scarf is fashionable, the rest of his outfit is ropey though!....looks like he should be in Beverly Hills 90210.
  • Kinsella has a touch of the Simon Jordans about him... or has he just been out in the hot english weather too much. (who said irish people dont tan well - im hoping its real anyway)
  • Lifers names to pics required...
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Kinsella has a touch of the Simon Jordans about him... or has he just been out in the hot english weather too much. (who said irish people dont tan well - im hoping its real anyway)

How dare you say that! Two polarised names such as those should never be mentioned in the same sentence
  • Sponsored links:

• Alan Dunne has been crowned Millwall's Player of the Year, with Steve Morison second in the voting and record goalscorer Neil Harris third.

The 27-year-old full-back, who came through the Lions Academy and made his debut in 2002, has enjoyed a fine season with the club still in with a shout of automatic promotion.

There were also 19 votes for Charlton defender Christian Dailly, who scored an own-goal in Millwall's 4-0 win over their south London neighbours at The Den in March.

The veteran Scot wrote his name into Millwall folklore for a second time, having also put through his own net while playing for fierce rivals West Ham in 2004.
  • He wasn't my choice, but nevertheless a very worthy winner.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]He wasn't my choice, but nevertheless a very worthy winner.

Alan Dunne ?
    Who'd you go for BFR ?
  • Who'd you go for BFR ?

Deon Burton.
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]So who was Sodje no 3 in that photo on the last page?

Eke i think