Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jonjo and todays performance.

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
Today some people around me was frustrated at Jonjo not getting a goal out of his numerous chances but if you was one of them yes he didn't score them BUT he got into the positions for them and got the chances. Today was an off day for the lad of 18 years old and on another day he would off scored them but when was the last time we played and got that many chances on and off target! Start him in todays position against soton and give him a chance, he lacks experience and hasn't played recently but we all know he can hit the back of the net!

Comments

• Thought he played well in the team as a unit, just a bit nervy infront of goal but that comes with time - he's had a huge time off field, and I for one love to watch him.
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]Today some people around me was frustrated at Jonjo not getting a goal out of his numerous chances but if you was one of them yes he didn't score them BUT he got into the positions for them and got the chances. Today was an off day for the lad of 18 years old and on another day he would off scored them but when was the last time we played and got that many chances on and off target! Start him in todays position against soton and give him a chance, he lacks experience and hasn't played recently but we all know he can hit the back of the net!

Good post.

We do create more chances with Shelvey in the side and on another day we will hopefully convert more of them!

I'd like to see Shelvey and Mooney play together because their footballing intelligence is as good as most I've seen in this division and even a good few sides in the league above.
  • I don't think Jonjo had a particularly good game but he was decent enough for a young lad trying maybe a bit too hard after not getting a fair crack of the whip from the manager for weeks. As for the misses. He should have scored but even the very best misses easy chances. Who woluld have thought Darren Bent would miss two penalty kicks in one game. For all the cretins slagging Jonjo off. Please pissoff and watch your football at The Emirates.
  • I thought he looked a little slow to react at times but that's hardly surprising as he's had only 10 minutes football in the last couple of months. Perhaps he'd have been sharper today, if he'd had a few more opportunities recently.

Credit to him he got himself into some great positions and never gave up.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I thought he looked a little slow to react at times but that's hardly surprising as he's had only 10 minutes football in the last couple of months. Perhaps he'd have been sharper today, if he'd had a few more opportunities recently.

Credit to him he got himself into some great positions and never gave up.

spot on not match sharp anyone crticsing him at a match is a complete word we have been asked not to use on here
  • He didn't have his best game for us today but he showed willing and tried his best, and that is all I and most of us on here ask of players. With time and fitness he will be a force to be reckoned with again.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]Today some people around me was frustrated at Jonjo not getting a goal out of his numerous chances but if you was one of them yes he didn't score them BUT he got into the positions for them and got the chances. Today was an off day for the lad of 18 years old and on another day he would off scored them but when was the last time we played and got that many chances on and off target! Start him in todays position against soton and give him a chance, he lacks experience and hasn't played recently but we all know he can hit the back of the net!

Totally agree, I would put it down to lack of match fitness/sharpness not a lack of ability. If he gets a chance like that next week I'd back him to score. What I would say though is if Mooney had missed those chances he would have been slaughtered by the fans and no one would be saying "yes he didn't score them BUT he got into the positions for them and got the chances."
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    spot on not match sharp anyone crticsing him at a match is a complete word we have been asked not to use on here

Ha ha quality mate
  • He was good today and gave us heaps we haven't had for a while.

He's better with Burton in my opinion, but he put in a good shift today.
  • Shelvey can be a nightmare for defences when hes putting in a good shift.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]Today some people around me was frustrated at Jonjo not getting a goal out of his numerous chances but if you was one of them yes he didn't score them BUT he got into the positions for them and got the chances. Today was an off day for the lad of 18 years old and on another day he would off scored them but when was the last time we played and got that many chances on and off target! Start him in todays position against soton and give him a chance, he lacks experience and hasn't played recently but we all know he can hit the back of the net!

Totally agree, I would put it down to lack of match fitness/sharpness not a lack of ability. If he gets a chance like that next week I'd back him to score. What I would say though is if Mooney had missed those chances he would have been slaughtered by the fans and no one would be saying "yes he didn't score them BUT he got into the positions for them and got the chances."

Could not disagree more. Given the run of play the last few months, any Charlton player that can get into positions that create the opportunity to score will get heralded -- even if his name were Dickson, Fleetwood, or Izale.
  • Hmmm, not sure if I agree with you there collegepark. I've been saying that about Mooney for a while now, but not many have agreed.

People around me were disappointed and frustrated for Shelvey more than by him. We all wanted him to get that goal. He had a good performance I thought. Had a touch of class about him, especially in the first half and nearly everything good went through him. If he got a goal it would've been a very good performance, but I'm happy with how he played and would be happy with him starting against Southampton.
  • I definitely go along with the opinion that he lacked match sharpness though I can understand the frustration. I too thought he played well and I also thought Apko had equally good chances to score so I'm not inclined to single out Shelvey.

My favourite comment of the day was.. "we were like an anorexic in a bacon sandwich factory, we couldn't finish anything!"
  • Thought Shelvey was a bit non exsistant until he missed them chances.

As said if Mooney had given that sort of performance he would've been slaughtered
  • thought we looked a better side with shelvey out there, like others have said at least he got in the positions to score and probably snatched at them because he was desperate to impress. id back him to score the next one he gets, hopefully the winner on saturday
  • Down to match sharpness why he missed them, if he had been playing regularly would have put them both away

I would start him next game but not up top where he seemed to be playing yesterday as he is not a striker, also dont feel he can play of the striker. we need to start using him in his best position, next game i'd go for Semedo & shelvey in the centre but it probably wont happen
  • still find it highly hilarious the god damned expectation of some of u of this BOY. A lot of u stll forget HE'S 17
  • He's 18. ;-)
  • He ran his socks off yesterday and I would expect he is as disappointed at the rest of us with his finishing, funny thing though as he seemed to end up playing as a striker and there fore out of position.
  • Yeah he missed a couple that were (and he would probably agree) his right to score BUT in all honesty we were pinging 60/70 yd balls to him and foster all game so yeah they were a bit non existent.

3 points, job done is all the positves and negatives we need to hear
  • Sponsored links:

• Seriously considering changing seats as I have to listen to some cretins behind me constantly slagging off our players. Normally they single out Lloyd. Yesterday it was Jonjo. I HATE it when our own supporters spend more time slagging our home grown talent off than actually getting behind the team. I really enjoyed the game yesterday. Some really good football played again. Well done Jonjo, you keep that up & the goals will come x
  • I was pleased to see Jonjo start and get a chance. I thought he was pretty quiet but thats understandable as he's been out in the dark for months. On another day he would have bagged at least two. Keep him in the team.
    One thing that made me laugh though is when Mooney misses chances like the one's Jonjo missed he's the worst player ever to wear a Charlton shirt? I just wish everyone could get behind the whole team especially now in the run in.
  • He did OK...nothing earth shattering but a good all round effort from a youngster playing his first game for awhile.
    As all of us forwards know, there's some games when you're just faited not to score...another time another day and the back of the net would have bulged.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]still find it highly hilarious the god damned expectation of some of u of this BOY. A lot of u stll forget HE'S 17

He's a professional football player - age doesn't come into it. If he's on the pitch then he is there because the manager thinks he's good enough to be there, whether he's 18 or 38.
  • Match sharpness is one thing yes but he'd also be better with Burton there and the team getting the ball on the floor
    more.

Seems he was told to not drop deep too much as he usually would naturally. Instead he probably had to give Forster plenty of support.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I was pleased to see Jonjo start and get a chance. I thought he was pretty quiet but thats understandable as he's been out in the dark for months. On another day he would have bagged at least two. Keep him in the team.
    One thing that made me laugh though is when Mooney misses chances like the one's Jonjo missed he's the worst player ever to wear a Charlton shirt? I just wish everyone could get behind the whole team especially now in the run in.

Spot on.

People are taking the time to look at Shelvey and giving him the benefit of the doubt after considering the whole picture after what was IMHO a less than impressive game where he missed some good chances and made a few wrong decisions. Glad to read it.

But other players, and it's Mooney now but could have been McLeod or Akpo, would be getting caned for those misses and level of play.

Why not just look at what a player does in the whole game and forget the name of the back of the shirt and judge on that. Shelvey has most likely played a similar if not more league games than Mooney. Why do so few cut him any slack?
  • mooney done alot more the shelvs yesterday! the ball through for akpo was quality
  • edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]I was pleased to see Jonjo start and get a chance. I thought he was pretty quiet but thats understandable as he's been out in the dark for months. On another day he would have bagged at least two. Keep him in the team.
    Echoes my thoughts exactly.
  • [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]He's a professional football player - age doesn't come into it. If he's on the pitch then he is there because the manager thinks he's good enough to be there, whether he's 18 or 38.

Massively disagree with that. Part of having a long term vision for a club is to nurture young players. Anyone who expects an 18 year old to be the finished articles is a complete word we have been asked not to use on here. Giving Jonjo game time now will benefit us in the long run.

Also I think Racon was basically non existent yesterday which meant Jonjo had no link to the midfield (which I assume Racon was supposed to provide ?). I hope JJ keeps his palce for Saints, although that miss was a shocker !!!
  • Does anyone remember the Lisbie miss at Vicarage Road in our last days in the Prem ?

It probably cost us our Prem spot and we have years in the doldrums now to reflect on it.

I don't care how old anyone is or their playing history - the point is, we cannot miss too many chances. IF Carlisle had equalised today we could have another season in L1 and Shelvey would be gone, along with a few other quality players. Yes, it's a big IF - but it has happened several times already this season.

Parky has not been using Shelvey - I guess that's because he does not warrant a place in the team (i.e. not good enough), and IMHO he did nothing against Carlisle to enhance his reputation.

He is an 18 year old former trainee, that sometimes gets in the first team of a club that is in the playoff zone of the 3rd tier, and who has "supposedly" been the subject of a huge bid by a Premiership club. I'm afraid that's the bear truth.

By contrast, Steve Morison is 26 and has 17 goals so far, to add to the 68 he got last season and the 28 prior to that (both in non-league).
    Grant Holt and Rickie Lambert are 28 and their stats are well documented . This is also the bear truth.

Would you rather have either of these 3 guys than Jonjo ?