Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match views vs. Carlisle

Comments

• it was a workmanlike win and i think we are going to have to get used to it because as flair goes we havent got much to offer in that department still think lloyd sam has to believe in himself a bit more and still lacks concentration in defending ,nick a win at southampton and maybe we could still get automatic promotion.
  • [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]Just to touch on the game, I felt it was a very scrappy game with a couple of good moments.

The song issue is something that is really starting to grate on me. I sit in the J block and me and a friend always seem to find ourselves being the only ones trying to get the block singing, songs were a bit lacklusture today. I enjoyed the bailey chant but the cafc,red army gets a bit repeative if i'm honest. I wish the east and west would pipe up, even if they don't the north stand can make some noise some reason we don't really.. Maybe it's just the fall from grace that hurts.

Is there anything we can do to solve this? Another band;)
    Was in West Upper K and I thought the west was actually singing quite a lot today. First time I've heard them join in the Nicky Bailey song
  • edited April 2010
    The average band might work, anything to get the atmosphere going. Even in the prem there were weeks we were flat. Our away support is great so who knows where the atmosphere is at home.

Any one for a set of drums in the east stand?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]Any one for a set of drums in the east stand?[/quote]

You'll be told to shut up and SIDDARN!

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: CatAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]Just to touch on the game, I felt it was a very scrappy game with a couple of good moments.

The song issue is something that is really starting to grate on me. I sit in the J block and me and a friend always seem to find ourselves being the only ones trying to get the block singing, songs were a bit lacklusture today. I enjoyed the bailey chant but the cafc,red army gets a bit repeative if i'm honest. I wish the east and west would pipe up, even if they don't the north stand can make some noise some reason we don't really.. Maybe it's just the fall from grace that hurts.

Is there anything we can do to solve this? Another band;)
    Was in West Upper K and I thought the west was actually singing quite a lot today. First time I've heard them join in the Nicky Bailey song

haha that was me
  • Liked the Jonjo song today, first time I heard it and made me laugh. Once I'd worked out the words it was a good one to join in on!
  • I thought we got better as the game went on. Played into the wind first half, wind with us second half. The last half an hour I thought was the most positive we have been from out wide for a long while - a lot of great balls into the box, that just needed someone getting on the end of.

Jon Jo had a frustrating day, when he got the ball into his feet, his lay offs were first class, but for a big lad he needs to attack the ball in the air a little more and hold his composure in front of goal and he'd have sewn up his starting place for the rest of the season.

I like Forster, a genuinely clever footballer who, when playing with Burton, I think could get us a few vital goals. Also thought Apko did well when he came on. Sam Sodje was immense today in attack and defense. Why oh why he has "THOSE" moments where the red mist descends, heaven knows ....
  • A good performance and a good win.
    Thought we looked well organised and confident in the first half,but unfortunately lacked in creativity and a cutting edge.
    On reflection I don't think Forster as lone striker with Jonjo behind quite worked; but I'm glad they were given a shot; being our best natural goalscorer and arguably our most gifted player.
    Great header by Sam Sodje.
    Parky said in the programme that they had been working on set piece delivery with Richardson and Borrowdale and I think it showed.
    Also the movement at set pieces was a marked improvement; no standing rooted like statues today.
    Second half there was only one team in it; just a shame we couldn't kill the game.
    Had we got a second I reckon they would have folded.
    Thought the subs were good; and thought Akpo especially looked lively running into channels and offering an outlet.
    Don't see why some fans were being so judgemental about Jonjo.
    Thought Jonjo was fine; he showed a lot of discipline in holding his position and not wandering around trying to find the ball.
    As usual he got himself in good positions; the chance he spooned wide was a shame; the one where he had options left and right, well that would have been forgiven had it sailed in, which he is more than capable of.
    Yes it was a bollockache, but he had the bottle to take it on.
  • Vital win. Thought the first half was scrappy and we played too many long balls in the direction of Shelvey and Forster which they couldn't deal with, It seems like Burton is the only one who can.

Second half was much better and we seemed to attack as a team which allowed Jonjo to get into the game. I hope he keeps his place next game as I thought his misses were down to rustiness and overeagerness, something that regular football will sort out.

Semedo was superb again and is rapidly becoming a favourite of mine.

I thought the subs worked well and Sodje played the battering ram role well.

One final point on Mooney, people may be divided on his abilities but given the flak he has been getting he should be commended on a good cameo.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2010
    I would put Jonjo's missed chances down to lack of match fitness/sharpness not a lack of ability. If he gets a chance like that next week I'd back him to score.

Overall a good performance and good to see us creating plenty of chances and do not think Akpo's goal should have been disallowed. Semedo was brilliant. His movement off the ball is first class - I would advise any of his doubters just to watch him for a few minutes next game. Every time we were in possession he would constantly be on the move providing passing options for team mates. This is something I would like the rest of the side to learn, especially the midfield.
  • I thought we did enough today and looked a little more solid everywhere.
    I think the saints will be a harder challenge next week. We have to beat Leeds and Colchester and hope Norwich are hungover and not interested if they are up by the time they play us.
    So we really have to raise our game over the coming weeks and take the points off the other challengers.
    But 6 points were needed and that's what we got so it's left us with the chance to step up from here.

And I thought the singing was pretty rapid yesterday too.
    I blame global warming and low slung trousers.
  • [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]And I thought the singing was pretty rapid yesterday too.
    I blame global warming and low slung trousers.

lol ... banter!
  • I thought it was a pretty good performance yesterday. After a spell where we've struggled to create chances we had 14 attempts on goal, 7 on target. I know it wasn't a blistering performance but we looked fairly comfortable throughout and had our finishing been a little better the game could have been sewn up after 70 minutes (that's not something you can say of many games recently where we've failed entirely to create chances), you can only beat what's put in front of you and we did that fairly comfortably yesterday, it's the most encouraged I've been by a performance in a long time.

Southampton's a much sterner test but I think we should go there and start the same team (that includes leaving Bailey out, I think the team looks more balanced without him, I really like us having two central midfielders and two wingers in a four man midfield - if Bailey is to come back in then it should be for Racon, that would be harsh on Racon though) and look for more of the same, we're not likely to get as many chances but if we're a bit more clinical in front of goal then we might just find ourselves coming home with the three points.

As for the crowd, I don't really know what it takes to get them going these days, I was encouraged when the players lined up at the start of the game, the crowd seemed to lift and I thought the atmosphere was going to improve but it was pretty muted throughout again and even when the noise does pick up it's a bit of a dirge. With the home games we've got coming up the crowd do have a part to play - just see Henry's comments in the week about the effect a stong home support can have - just not sure what it takes to pick them up at the moment...
  • I enjoyed what I thought was a good game of football.

Carlisle came to stifle us with a 4 - 4 - 1- 1, which may partly explain our 4 -4- 1 - 1, and it was working until we scored.

After that the game opened up and we were well on top and should have scored more. But Carlisle tried to play some passing football and once or twice gave us problems moving the ball well on the break. Price looked useful but Sodje won the battle with him.

Excellent corners (only one an easy catch for the keeper) and crosses into the box with a solid defence and midfield.

We even left a player (Reid) up for their corners.

The substitutions showed the depth of the squad and all three had an impact. Interesting post match comments from PP on Akpo needed to trust his body and go in 100% (paraphrasing) which suggests that A Sodje has holding back on the physical side. He didn't yesterday and it showed. Carlisle were afraid of his height and strength and no coincidence that most of the chances game when he was on the pitch. Mooney looked sharp with two or three clever passes.

First time I've seen Forster for us. He was isolated and didn't see much of the ball but did ok when he did.

three points, no injuries or suspensions (Jose seemed to be less willing to dive in after his booking), job done.
  • Henry, all pretty fair apart from the fact I thought Price looked HOPELESS!
  • [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Henry, all pretty fair apart from the fact I thought Price looked HOPELESS!

yeah same as he was rubbish!
  • I though he was up front on his own and still made our back four work.

ball stuck to him and he was physically strong.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I though he was up front on his own and still made our back four work.

I must not have been paying attention to when he had the ball then, i thought he looked slow no threat, didnt win many headers i can think of and did couple things wrong
  • Sponsored links:

• Price did a very good job given he was given no support what-so-ever by other Carlisle players. He was taken down for their penalty shout and also had the goal disallowed. Was by far their most dangerous player, and they offered nothing after he was taken off.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Price did a very good job given he was given no support what-so-ever by other Carlisle players. He was taken down for their penalty shout and also had the goal disallowed. Was by far their most dangerous player, and they offered nothing after he was taken off.

Agreed.

It was a clean tackle by Sodje BTW not a pen. Was right in line and very well timed.
  • Price - McGregor from Porridge?

And HMP Slade is in Cumbria......AND McGregor plays for Slade in the movie!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I though he was up front on his own and still made our back four work.

Agreed. With some better support from his midfield he may have caused us more problems. Thought his movement was good.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Price did a very good job given he was given no support what-so-ever by other Carlisle players. He was taken down for their penalty shout and also had the goal disallowed. Was by far their most dangerous player, and they offered nothing after he was taken off.

Agreed.

It was a clean tackle by Sodje BTW not a pen. Was right in line and very well timed.

I also thought it was a clean tackle, but the Carlisle fans I met afterwards said it was a certain pen. I was confused by the ref's reaction - he seemed to point to the penalty spot, the 6 yard box and then the corner flag. Maybe he thought it was a pen, but then saw the lino signalling a corner and was pointing to the ball indicating that Sodje got something on it and therefore it was a corner. Who knows. The ref got it right in my book.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]The ref got it right in my book.

Thank God! They don't always, do they?

;o)
  • I had a little snooze first half. Bore fest and went to the beers in early so missed goal!

I celebrated the disallowed goal for quite some time before realising! WOMEN! but i wasnt the only one around me to!

Second half much improved and really enjoyed us knocking it about. did notice bailey must have been at the Easter Eggs - but i know how he feels.

Win ugly i dont care how we do it.
  • I'm not going to knock us getting three points as that is all that really matters at the moment but for once it would be nice to leave The Valley purring about a performance and actually being excited by it. Will have to play a lot, lot, lot better to beat Leeds, Narwich and Southampton whilst a similar competent performance should be enough to see off Col U, Exeter and SmellyMeat.
  • We won our first six, now we have to win our last six.
  • I went on my own yesterday as my boys are skiing. I enjoyed the match and thought we played pretty well. A lot better than I have seen on some occasions this year.
    Haven't seen our disallowed goal yet on telly. Looked a clean strike from Sodjie, were our players in offside positions really interfering? Can someone enlighten me? Maybe one of them was obscurring the goalie. Couldn't see from my angle.
    I really do think some people on here, and at the ground need to remember this is the Third Division. Doesn't matter how you dress it up, it is the third tier of English football, which initself, disregarding the top 8/10 in the Prem, is as weak as it has been for years. EG West Ham could easily stay up without getting another point. Newcastle, promoted easily but you know will struggle next season.