Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match views vs. Carlisle

Comments

• Good enough performance and should have won more comfortably.

Bailey definitely carrying a bit of overweight, as per Swisdom's earlier comment. Reckon he probably likes the odd pint or six.
  • I listened on CAFC player. In the first half couldnt hear the crowd, atmosphere seemed flat....until we scored. Second half crowd sounded a lot noisier. As I wasnt there was that a fair refelection of those who were? Got to say commentary imo was very poor, half the time - if not more - I had no idea what was happening on the pitch as the commentator and summeriser were chating about everything else other than the bloody game!! Anyway enough of the radio stuff...... a win is a win and if we can ge a result at 'hampton next week then perhaps auto promotion is still a big possibility. Would Burton/Forster be a good pairing? (assuming Burton is fit)
  • Thought we put in some quality crosses today, unfortunately nobody there the finish them off.

Mind you, Carlisle were bloody awful.

Happy with the three points and the clean sheet. Only two points off second now.

Funny how we have managed to hang in there without winning, yet then win two on the bounce but are still stuck in fifth. Tight as a gnats chuff up there at the moment.
  • Another frustrating afternoon stuck in 2nd and 3rd gear. Should have had it sewn up a lot more comfortably, but clearly not the Charlton way.

Keeper all at sea for our opener, but S Sodje is a real presence in the box from corners and done it again. Felt it wasn't until they had that goal disallowed that we seemed to raise it a bit, though not sure it was due to them trying to be a bit more offensive and the pitch getting stretched a little.

Thought we looked a lot better when Bailey come on, and Akpo and Mooney also did decent shifts as well. This is part of the problem i feel in why we aren't higher and must be tearing the managers' hair out. A lot of our players it seems look better when they come on as subs than they do when they start. Its becoming a real repetitive thing.

We improved as the game went on, but without wishing to sound too much of a moaner, i had hoped we would be a little more convincing. We've just taken a big 6 points off the Easter programme, which was imperative, but neither performance was what a neutral would say was overly impressive, and we need to hope the gradual, continued improvement is taken a notch further against a very decent Soton team on Saturday.
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]

Atmosphere wasn't too bad today. The North Upper isn't joining in with the CAFC chants any more!

That drummer was bashing it out so quick you had to be on speed to keep up with him. So I don't even try any more.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]
    That drummer was bashing it out so quick you had to be on speed to keep up with him. So I don't even try any more.

Me neither.

I find it staggering that 'kids of today' have absolutely zero idea about singing football songs. Its like its a race to complete it as quick as possible. Must be all that speed garage stuff they listen to.
  • The mental side is becoming as important as the physical side now so, although by no means a classic, credit to Parky and the boys for getting the job done against a Carlisle side who had no intention of laying down.

Three points today and as we were after other results.

We need something at Southampton if we have any serious pretensions towards automatic promotion although one more win should seal a play-off place I reckon.

I felt desperately sorry for Jonjo when he missed that sitter but he showed character to fashion himself the second chance so soon afterwards. We offer more going forward when he is playing in my view sadly we could not convert it into more goals today. Nobody seemed to have their shooting boots on.
  • i thought he did ok bar his misses,but i would wouldn't i coz i rate him.Another tepid performance but results are all that matter at the moment.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]

Me neither.

I find it staggering that 'kids of today' have absolutely zero idea about singing football songs. Its like its a race to complete it as quick as possible. Must be all that speed garage stuff they listen to.

I enjoyed the slow 'we are charlton' on Saturday, can't see it happening at home though.
  • Bailey must of found one of the cake trolley's untouched by Andy Reid! He played well though and overall a good performance from everyone today. Should have been 3 or 4 though but happy with 2 wins and 2 clean sheets in 3 days. Sam tracked back, got a few juicy crosses in and Semedo broke things up in the middle just like he used to. The tough test is saturday against the Saints.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought we were lack lustre against a very poor Carlisle side. Even with the extra man in midfield we still seem to loose out on 2nd balls.

Personally would have taken Shelvey off when Forster went off.

Akpo looked a threat.

Out of intetest what do people think the crowd reaction would have been like had Mooney missed the chance Shelvey did?

Difficult for Shelvey as he has had little football. If he is to play in the "hole" we need to play through him and he needs to drop deeper from time to time.

Someone please tell our fullbacks that 50 yard crossfield punts are not the sort of thing Nicky Forster is going to thrive on!
  • I feel I've watched a different game. Really enjoyed it, passed it around nicely and made a decent side look pretty ordinary.
    [cite]Posted By: onestevieg[/cite]Bailey must of found one of the cake trolleys untouched by Andy Reid
    There is no such trolley
  • Not too bothered about entertainment value at this stage of the season, this was a vital weekend, we had some big injuries but come out the end of it with 6 out of 6 points, sod anything else, lets keep grinding.

Next weekend will be tough, hopefully we can take a big following down there like we usually do to Southampton, do we have any ticket sales info?
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Me neither.

I enjoyed the slow 'we are charlton' on Saturday, can't see it happening at home though.

Never mind C . A . F . C..... it's even worse when they get into *big breath* Valleyfloydroadthemistrollinginfronthethamesmydesireisalwaystobeatvalleyfloydroad.......
  • The scrappy wins are always the most satisfying, I find.

Not pretty; that first half - and much of the second - rivalled Stockport for boredom value, but Sodje got in there where it counted. Randolph had nothing, absolutely NOTHING, to do. Carlisle didn't really threaten... at all. Shelvey was alright in my humble opinion though he missed one sitter and another decent-ish chance. Ref was good. Pre-match Coke was watery. I comment on non-CAFC-specific stuff cause there wasn't much to comment on. Yeah.

Oh, player by player, then - Richardson was steady, my personal MOM, Dailly and Sam were okay, Borrowdale too, Reid too, Semedo and Racon were a bit above "okay", Sam looked good with his crossing, Shelvey I've mentioned and Forster is a good player when ball got to his feet, he made several good layoffs/passes but he won't cut it in the air. Mooney... ehh. Akpo was okay, very much the battering ram; perhaps he'd do better than Forster in the 4-4-1-1. Bailey - normal as he is, good to see him on a pitch.

Me neither.

I sing, I'm a kid...
  • Pleased with today. We didn't do anything drastic or amazing either and got what we deserved.
    Thought Shelvey had a good knock around, missed his chances but we made them so am not complaining.
    6 points over easter...awesome!!!

On the song thingy..."E-I-E-I-O, up the football league we go, when we get promoted, this is what we say", why do we have to cut off the "we are Charlton, we are Charlton, from the football league"? So so so annoying!!!
  • Jonjo had his chance back in the team and not sure if he done enough to keep his spot tbh
  • We're still fifth!

Which is a bit frustrating , really. Congrats to Parky and the players. They couldn't have done more over Easter with two clean sheets and six points. Such performances surely deserved to leapfrog someone!

We can take care of Leeds ourselves by beating them, but we need Millwall and Swindon both to slip up. Do they have to play each other still, by any chance? That would help!
  • Millwall v Swindon last day I believe
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-0 and 3 points from both games and couldn't have dreamt of that b4 the games
    but looking at todays game we had the only team in the league who prolly couldn't make the play offs or go down , so they were the perfect opposition but despite our chances i still felt nervous as the game went on and i'm not convinced about us being able to get away with a performance like that in our next 3 games...
    we'll have to play better to get anything at soton definitely ....
    thought richardson and sam done well after a shakey first half hour and everyone else was much of a muchness
    gutted about the other scorelines with millwall and leeds facing potential banana skins and coming thru the tests, meaning a win is required at soton if we're to keep the pressure on with millwall and leeds at home to gillingham and s'thend respectively and swindon at colchester next saturday
    i now see us as 6% automatics 89% playoffs and 5% out of playoffs come the end of the season , i'll up date it after each game so you all will know where we'll end up ;-)
  • The first half was a dull affair and Carlisle were poor, much better second half with the openiong 10 minutes showing more like we really wanted to punish them.
    We had to win today and it's a shame we couldn't have finished with at least 4 goals,shame about jj's sitter but thought he had an okay game,all in all a good weekend 2 wins and 6 points.
  • Positives : - 3 points
    Clean sheet

Negatives : - Unconvincing yet again
    Shocking finishing

Playoffs for certain now.
  • Dull game, well first half especially

Thought we played well and created several chances just a shame that none of them fell to nicky forster as im sure he would have put them away. still dont get why our RB & LB choose to lump the ball forward at every opportunity? whether they have been told to do this(likely) or whether they have a sand-wedge on their foot and cant do a simple pass on the deck!!!! rant over sorry i just hate us lumping the forward

S.Sodje MOM for me was immense, won every header, fine header for the goal, also an excellent last ditch tackle although could of been stupid had it not been 100% accurate, daily also was very good and seems like they form a good partnership(say seems as i haven't seen them play together too much), although daily im not 100% with his heading as always seems like heads the wrong way

Midfielders were average, if anything got into the game more 60mins+. reid was the best till then

SHELVEY
    not a striker, should have been switched to cm and racon should have gone of for mooney imo. shelvey did a job but feel at home we should be playing 2 strikers and sacrifice either semedo or racon for Shelvey

forster did ok but again seemed like we would lump it to his head, seemed like he was making runs to the right as noone else was but we need him in the box to convert and someone else doing this

Subs upped the tempo of the game and we created mroe when they came on

Still a win is a win and if we can get another 5-6 like that then i'll be happy :-)
  • After the Gillingham result would have easily taken 7 from the next nine so have to be pleased. Was never a classic but we did miss a lot of chances near the end which may have given the scorline a more convincing look.

Defensively we seem to be getting better and Racon and Semedo are starting to play better each game would is a good sign with Bailey still to come in.

No mistaking the fact that the misses from Jonjo were poor and overall his impact was not that great, but I would like to see him kept in for next week as the constant dropping of him after 1 poor performance is only adding to his anxiety and needing to do ‘everything’ when he does get the opportunity. He is far too good a player to be wasted at this stage of the season.

Six games to go we are still very much in it and need to increase the levels of support although today was encouraging.
  • edited April 2010
    Just to touch on the game, I felt it was a very scrappy game with a couple of good moments.

The song issue is something that is really starting to grate on me. I sit in the J block and me and a friend always seem to find ourselves being the only ones trying to get the block singing, songs were a bit lacklusture today. I enjoyed the bailey chant but the cafc,red army gets a bit repeative if i'm honest. I wish the east and west would pipe up, even if they don't the north stand can make some noise some reason we don't really.. Maybe it's just the fall from grace that hurts.

Is there anything we can do to solve this? Another band;)

Me neither.

I blame that crack cocaine and sega mega drives.
  • [cite]Posted By: drawnablank[/cite]Pleased with today. We didn't do anything drastic or amazing either and got what we deserved.
    Thought Shelvey had a good knock around, missed his chances but we made them so am not complaining.
    6 points over easter...awesome!!!

On the song thingy..."E-I-E-I-O, up the football league we go, when we get promoted, this is what we say", why do we have to cut off the "we are Charlton, we are Charlton, from the football league"? So so so annoying!!!

It would be even more crap if we SAY (!) 'from the football league.'

I always remember it going:

E-I-E-I-E-I-O, up the football league we go
    When we win promotion, this is what we sing
    We are Charlton, we are Charlton, we are the football kings
  • Flat atmosphere today wasn't it? Seemed like we were back to mid-table nothingness in the premiership, but with half the number of fans. Wasn't too sure there was 17,000 there... unless a few of our fans were doing a Stuwall.

I thought we looked comfortable today. However, Shelvey and Forster together up top were too lightweight. Once Akpo came on and threw his weight around a little we looked miles better and JJ came into the game a bit more. What I liked about JJ was that he didn't hesitate when putting in crosses with his weaker foot. Sam on the other hand doesn't know what to do when he's pushed onto his left, pathetic from a pro footballer. Having said that Sam played very well today. Mooney was great when he came on, clever passes. No complaints from midfield. Although Reid didn't have his best game he still looked dangerous. Defence was solid.

Very happy with the 6 points over the weekend, let's just hope the other results go our way over next weekend.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]Just to touch on the game, I felt it was a very scrappy game with a couple of good moments.

The song issue is something that is really starting to grate on me. I sit in the J block and me and a friend always seem to find ourselves being the only ones trying to get the block singing, songs were a bit lacklusture today. I enjoyed the bailey chant but the cafc,red army gets a bit repeative if i'm honest. I wish the east and west would pipe up, even if they don't the north stand can make some noise some reason we don't really.. Maybe it's just the fall from grace that hurts.

Is there anything we can do to solve this? Another band;)[/quote]

I would have got the East Stand going but sore throat, cold and back pain put paid to any singing or dancing. As for a different band how about the Average White Band to funk things up?