Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trevor Kettle

Comments

• Then the FA are pricks and imbeciles then - touche!
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]The thing that really got to me with this ref is when BURTON got booked for being pushed into the keeper. The BRISTOL player told the ref about 5 times "Nah ref it wasnt his fault don't book him".

So the ref puts his fingers in his ears and goes "Can't hear you, nah, nah, nah, Can't hear you".

Prick (Why do they do that). The opposition would hardly be making it up would they? Imbecile.

FA directive for refs not to take advice from players. He would be marked down by the assessor.

Read the rules and do a ref's course before calling people a prick and an imbecile for doing their job.

Next....

Are you a qualified ref Ashtray?

Not sure if you've mentioned it or not, just wondering :-)
  • Ash Tray I have to say your views are staggering. Get yourself a job at the FA. You are sufficiently bogged down in theory/out of touch to do a great job there.
  • Yes we know. As are UEFA and FIFA! You won't get an argument over that one!
  • [cite]Posted By: Jason1[/cite]Can the FA look at the tackle and apply retrospective punishment or does the ref's decision count?

No it can only be retrospectively punished if it was missed by the officials altogether. The referee's punishment of a caution stands.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Ash Tray I have to say your views are staggering. Get yourself a job at the FA. You are sufficiently bogged down in theory/out of touch to do a great job there.

I doubt you have ever read the laws of the game. Just because I have, why does that make me bogged down in theory?

What staggers me is the ignorance surrounding the laws of the game which people travel the country spending their student loans watching!
  • All I will say in the defence of the referee (and yes I am a qualified Supply League referee and Contributory League Assistant referee) is that who thought on first look it was only a yellow? I have to put my hand up and say I did. I would have only cautioned for it and made the same mistake Mr Kettle did. I challenge anyone to have reded that on one look. Only when it was slowed down and shown from a different angle on the tv did it show up what a dangerous tackle it was (and there was no forgiving it). However bad we thought the ref to be he wasn't the reason we lost. We were utterly shocking but from my experience alas it seems to be the vogue (from Premier League down to Sunday League) to ignore the faults of the players and absolutely slaughter the officials.

Only my humble opinion.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]What staggers me is the ignorance surrounding the laws of the game which people travel the country spending their student loans watching!

can you please direct me to where I have shown an "ignorance" to the laws of the game?

and yes I do travel around the country "spending my student loan" (nice dig there I must say) watching football... what is your point please? It's my money, and i'll do what I like with it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]All I will say in the defence of the referee (and yes I am a qualified Supply League referee and Contributory League Assistant referee) is that who thought on first look it was only a yellow? I have to put my hand up and say I did. I would have only cautioned for it and made the same mistake Mr Kettle did. I challenge anyone to have reded that on one look. Only when it was slowed down and shown from a different angle on the tv did it show up what a dangerous tackle it was (and there was no forgiving it). However bad we thought the ref to be he wasn't the reason we lost. We were utterly shocking but from my experience alas it seems to be the vogue (from Premier League down to Sunday League) to ignore the faults of the players and absolutely slaughter the officials.

Only my humble opinion.

Spot on!
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]I doubt you have ever read the laws of the game.

I wouldn't bet on it!
  • Sponsored links:

• I love how referees stick together. They really are a different breed.
  • Not sure it's a ref's thing. I think it's just people who know the laws of the game....
  • [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]All I will say in the defence of the referee (and yes I am a qualified Supply League referee and Contributory League Assistant referee) is that who thought on first look it was only a yellow? I have to put my hand up and say I did. I would have only cautioned for it and made the same mistake Mr Kettle did. I challenge anyone to have reded that on one look. Only when it was slowed down and shown from a different angle on the tv did it show up what a dangerous tackle it was (and there was no forgiving it). However bad we thought the ref to be he wasn't the reason we lost. We were utterly shocking but from my experience alas it seems to be the vogue (from Premier League down to Sunday League) to ignore the faults of the players and absolutely slaughter the officials.

Only my humble opinion.

Sorry, The first camera view was from 50 yards (not zoomed in), the ref was 5 yds away - next excuse please.
  • [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite] However bad we thought the ref to be he wasn't the reason we lost. We were utterly shocking but from my experience alas it seems to be the vogue (from Premier League down to Sunday League) to ignore the faults of the players and absolutely slaughter the officials.

Only my humble opinion.

Erm Spankie, you must have missed the 10+ threads slaughtering the team and parky on here? If you could direct me to all the supposed comments that have completely ignored the faults of the players then I would be grateful.

One of our players was subject to a horrific challenge and justice wasn't done. The fans are going to be a little upset by that - it's not just nitpicking to try and avoid facing the reality of a defeat. You'll find plenty of slating of our team if you read the numerous other threads.
  • No reply then, just a cheap dig at students?
  • come on Ashtray mate, you cant say refs dont stick together. I personally think ref's should be interviewed after the game to explain their decisions, instead of hiding behind them. It always seems like fans, players, managers are picking on them but how are they ever going to improve if they never admit they are wrong!?
  • That tackle last night was no different to the one Jerome Thomas committed against Plymouth for West Brom two saturdays ago. A red card imo was rightly showed by the ref to Thomas, however that is where the problem is. No consistancy i'm afraid.
  • well what can we say about about mr kettle well if he thought or f.a. assesors thought he did ok they better read this.first half obviously didnt see tackle on basey although only 7 yards away. missed 2 penalties.give bailey a booking when should have been a pen.second half obviously missed deliberate handball by mooney,yet missed burton being pushed in back so ends up booking him a nonsense.not even sure why he booked racon myself.the tackle on basey he must have missed cause thats a red card 1st minuite or last miniute.the ref at home 2 swindon showed that with 2 red cards in first half.so basically the ref made it easier for them as well as now burton is banned for one game and bailey got booked for being fouled.mr kettle please watch video of the game with f.a. assessors and tell me what you did right bar the kick offs and the goals and a few kicks and corners not alot 1/10 thats how i rate your performance nearly as good as parkys
  • [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]However bad we thought the ref to be he wasn't the reason we lost. We were utterly shocking but from my experience alas it seems to be the vogue (from Premier League down to Sunday League) to ignore the faults of the players and absolutely slaughter the officials.

Only my humble opinion.

Erm Spankie, you must have missed the 10+ threads slaughtering the team and parky on here? If you could direct me to all the supposed comments that have completely ignored the faults of the players then I would be grateful.

Hands up. You have a point and I am mistaken about last night's game. I wasn't merely talking about last night but football in general.

One of our players was subject to a horrific challenge and justice wasn't done. The fans are going to be a little upset by that - it's not just nitpicking to try and avoid facing the reality of a defeat. You'll find plenty of slating of our team if you read the numerous other threads.
  • [cite]Posted By: Hex[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]All I will say in the defence of the referee (and yes I am a qualified Supply League referee and Contributory League Assistant referee) is that who thought on first look it was only a yellow? I have to put my hand up and say I did. I would have only cautioned for it and made the same mistake Mr Kettle did. I challenge anyone to have reded that on one look. Only when it was slowed down and shown from a different angle on the tv did it show up what a dangerous tackle it was (and there was no forgiving it). However bad we thought the ref to be he wasn't the reason we lost. We were utterly shocking but from my experience alas it seems to be the vogue (from Premier League down to Sunday League) to ignore the faults of the players and absolutely slaughter the officials.

Only my humble opinion.

Sorry, The first camera view was from 50 yards (not zoomed in), the ref was 5 yds away - next excuse please.

Angle? Just because the ref was nearer doesn't necessarily mean he got the best angle to actually see the contact. No doubt it was a HUGE mistake by the ref and not making excuses for him. Just trying to find a way of knowing how he got it wrong and I'm sure incompetency isn't it.
  • Sponsored links:

• (How do you get quotes from previous pages?)

VG - I agree there should be more transparancy. I think all refs would agree. The FA stop it from happening. I can imagine their likely argument.
  • Would it not just take a few of the top premier league refs to speak to Sky/MOTD commentators after the game for the FA to think 'oh this isnt a bad idea'?....or are they actually not allowed to do so?

With a brief explanation of why they made the decision they did, then respect for refs would increase immediately imo.
  • Thinking about it, not sure what it would achieve in most cases.

Take last night for example. What you have asked him if you were the reporter?
  • I think it's a matter of helping referees not hanging them out to dry, they don't do that in rugby for example where the referees have full respect of the players on the pitch and the crodw. I know for a fact all of them work hard attending seminars, training and get assessed on every game and they have to train wearing a special belt with which you can download their stats to prove to the FA they are doing their best to be the best they can. Retrospective punishment has been brought in to help officials, and even the top officials miss things. I think the real argument is in bringing the game into the 21st century. What is stopping the 4th man looking at a monitor and seeing Blizzard had near-on snapped Basey's leg in two and ordered the referee to issue a red card. There's the debates with stopping the game's flow but at least the decisions would be correct nearer to the 100% that everyone wants, players, team officials, managers AND referees!
  • I think distance is pretty important, but leave the decision on Blizzard's tackle aside, and Mr Kettle didn't have any control over the match. That should worry any player, manager and fan. That's probably the reason why four players had to be helped off the pitch in the end.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Would it not just take a few of the top premier league refs to speak to Sky/MOTD commentators after the game for the FA to think 'oh this isnt a bad idea'?....or are they actually not allowed to do so?

With a brief explanation of why they made the decision they did, then respect for refs would increase immediately imo.

They are allowed to (as much as my understanding is when I was out with a PL assistant referee recently) but prefer to deal with such issues in private with the managers back in the referee's room.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Thinking about it, not sure what it would achieve in most cases.

What was your view of the incident?.....Why was it only a booking? ....did the time of the incident have an effect on your decision?....What was your interpritation of the penalty claims?

Im not saying there should be a ref witch-hunt, but why should players and managers have the same sort of questions regarding decisions throw at them and yet refs, who can have just as much of an effect on the outcome of a game, dont?
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Thinking about it, not sure what it would achieve in most cases.

What was your view of the incident?.....Why was it only a booking? ....did the time of the incident have an effect on your decision?....What was your interpritation of the penalty claims?

Im not saying there should be a ref witch-hunt, but why should players and managers have the same sort of questions regarding decisions throw at them and yet refs, who can have just as much of an effect on the outcome of a game, dont?

A lot of that has been answered by his actions at the time. He'd probably left you frustrated by saying he saw it as a yellow, the time didn't affect it, I didn't think they were pens, I thought Bailey simulated etc.

Not really achieving much.
  • edited February 2010
    Time shouldn't affect any decision. I gave a penalty and red card in the 3rd minute of a game recently. A red is a red whether it's the 1st or 90th minute. The refdidn't give a red last night and we will probably never know why but I'm sure time wasn't, or if it was, shouldn't have been a factor. It's drilled into you from quite low down that you ref the 1st minute as the last.
  • edited February 2010
    Yeah in theory, but after 12 seconds....im not so sure.