Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trevor Kettle

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
If Warnock thinks the lino at Palace y'day should be suspended/sacked what on earth would he have made of this guys performance so far. Blizzard and Campbell should both have been sent off for two nasty late tackles, Basey's a possible broken leg. And as for missing two clear penalties one for each side this ref is an absolute disgrace. His assessment should render him unfit to referee for a good few weeks followed by careful monitoring. At the very least he shoudl apologise for his ineptitude, not for a long time have I been so incensed by a referee's performance

Comments

• Basey has a broken Fibula and both teams should of had a penalty, although saying that he hasn't been too bad!
  • Flying shin high lunge with studs up that breaks a bloke's leg gets the same punishment as someone supposedly diving (which actually was a stonewall penalty)

Ludicrous
  • I've obviously missed the bit in the FIFA rules that says you can do whatever the fuck you want as long as it's in the first minute. Very poor reffing. I'd love to see Parky going mental and really taking the man to task., but he won't.

Not sure about a stonewall penalty. An arm across the chest is not enough reson to fall, screaming in aguish, I'm afraid.
  • and now burton will be suspended...

fair play to that bristol rovers defender who was telling the ref it wasn't a booking...
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I've obviously missed the bit in the FIFA rules that says you can do whatever the fuck you want as long as it's in the first minute.

nail on head.

no suspension for Burton, the cut off point is 10 yellows now.
  • The referee missed the foul by Anthony on Burton in the box, just before Burton bundled into the keeper and was booked.
    If the referee had kept up with play, he would had to have awarded a penalty.

But the referee couldn't keep up with play.

Total incompetance from that referee tonight.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]The referee missed the foul by Anthony on Burton in the box, just before Burton bundled into the keeper and was booked.
    If the referee had kept up with play, he would had to have awarded a penalty.

But the referee couldn't keep up with play.

Total incompetance from that referee tonight.

Agreed that he had a shocker.

However, we shouldn't be hiding behind that.

He was awful, we were worse.
  • It appears that Mr Kettle is an air traffic controller - so with that level of vision I think I'll stay on terra firma for the foreseeable future.. I know we can be blinkered, but all 4 of our bookings were dubious - Bailey it certainly wasn't a dive. Semedo possibly the least aggressive foul of the night. Racon having the ball kicked at him deliberately from about 5 yards away from where a dubiously awarded should have been taken and Burton get pushed into their goalkeeper (was Burton in the box?).

I live in hope of a manager giving an honest appraisal of a shocking tackle - I'm fed up of platitudes like "he's not that type player" who is (Stand up Kevin Muscat). If you do a tackle like that you are that type of player.

Get well soon Grant
  • Awful tackle plus the one from Campbell

Awful Ref

We lost, but have a thought for Grant Basey

It's only a game but it is HIS leg.
  • Sponsored links:

• Useless fat tossser. Just like plenty of other numpties we've had to suffer this season. The calibre of the referring matches the standard of the football, so you get what you deserve unfortunately.
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    Agreed that he had a shocker.

However, we shouldn't be hiding behind that.

He was awful, we were worse.

My post wasn't about how we played or whether we were hiding behind our performance, Clem.
    Plenty of threads tonight to discuss that.

No, this thread was about a weak referee who never had control of the match.

Never clamped down on some nasty physical stuff outside the laws of the game.
    Did not take the correct action on numerous occasions, highlighted by a yellow card for the most horrendous of a number of bad tackles committed on the night.
    And often just called it wrong.

Or even worse did nothing.

He booked players for soft offences that wouldn't normally warrant a booking at all.
    But let go much of the ugly stuff.

That's what I meant by total incompetance from the referee tonight.
  • [cite]Posted By: JohnnyJoeyDeeDee[/cite]It appears that Mr Kettle is an air traffic controller

I'm shitting myself now.
  • edited February 2010
    We've seen him down the valley this season,cant remember the games but i remember the name,he was god awful in them too. He made far too many bad choices,the obvious one being the blatant red card in the 1st minute,he was shocking. The trouble is that these individuals make crap decisions and it has repercussions,sometimes season defining,for teams/players and these refs are never held accountable. That decision to not reduce Rovers to ten men after 12 seconds could,i feel,be a season defining moment for Charlton,no matter how badly we played i am pretty sure we would have beaten a side playing with 10 men for the whole match,90 minutes is a hell of a long time to be a man short.
  • Get the ferry mate.
  • Serious point. It always infuriates me when Sky or the Beeb wank on that a ref has shown common sense when they don't actually follow the laws of the game and deal out a red card where it's due. It's not common sense, it's a dereliction of fucking duty, and in the case of Grant Basey and Mr Kettle (who was clearly off the boil tonight) it was a failure in his duty of care, I'd like to see one of them (and by extension the FA) sued. Tonight there were four players helped from the pitch and, I presume, hospitalised. Their keeper was pretty lucky, too. More than I've seen in 30 years of paying an undue amount of attention to this game. Had Kettle dealt with the Blizzard tackle properly and not been limp, I doubt that this would be the case. Weak refs are dangerous. More than corrupt mental cases like Clattenburg or Poll, he should not be allowed to darken the sport's doors again. A fucking disgrace. I hope he watches his sorry performance and apologises, but I doubt he will. He had a big shit eating grin on his face all game, like the kind of nonce that enjoys getting back on all the big boys that bullied him.
  • Awful, awful referee. Red card in the first minute, a penalty each, and a whole host of decisions given the wrong way or not at all. Did my head in.

At least we know he's done it many, many times before. Thanks for that, ISLS.

Spare a thought for Basey. He's out of contract at the end of the season, isn't he? That's really tough on him.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Get the ferry mate.
    I'm totally shitting myself now.

y174951971416896.jpg
  • I did actually type train to start with but thought that was in bad taste given the Belgium situation...

stay at home maybe?!
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]At least we know he's done it many, many times before. Thanks for that, ISLS.

For anyone that follows the Championship, he gave Forest that penalty a few weeks ago when the ball hit Darren Purse's back vs Sheffield Wednesday. Seems to be a bit of a football league refereeing legend...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2010
    Got his own facebook page..............sort of!!!

[url=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27603969486&ref=mf#!/group.php?gid=27603969486
    ]http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27603969486&ref=mf#!/group.php?gid=27603969486
    [/url]
    Absolute nob of the highest order.

Ooops just seen 'Isaw' has pasted the same link earlier....doh I must have had a kettle moment. :-(
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]At least we know he's done it many, many times before. Thanks for that, ISLS.

For anyone that follows the Championship, he gave Forest that penalty a few weeks ago when the ball hit Darren Purse's back vs Sheffield Wednesday. Seems to be a bit of a football league refereeing legend...

Sorry, what's the complaint with that? Blatant backball by the Wednesday player. Penalty. Red card.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    I failed to realise that was him. One of the most ridiculous reffing performances for a while. The Purse thing was highlighted, but he was insane thoughout.
  • Hardest job in the game, he's bound to make mistakes.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Hardest job in the game, he's bound to make mistakes.

Maybe it is, but there's a difference between calling what has happened (did it go out for a corner or a goal kick), and what to do about something which has happened and requires a decision about level of punishment, where you have time to think about it, and even consult colleagues. (personally I think the 4th official should be watching video continuously and advising the ref by radio, but thats another subject)

It is possible that amongst other things you might have to make a hard decision like sending off a home defender in the first minute. If you haven't got the bottle to do that, then dont referee at a professional level
  • Just like players, referees take time to warm up in a game. It's hard to be prepared for such a shocking tackle so early in the game. His mistake was to fail to take a few seconds to reflect on the incident. I am sure that by the time Basey was stretchered off, he knew he had screwed up.

Once things go wrong, they get compounded, it seems - 3 penalties in my book - one against Sodje, one for Bailey and the push on Burton when he got booked also looked a penalty. It's easy to make mistakes as a ref, but besides getting major decisions wrong, he was hesitant and almost random in his decisions. It was as though he was constantly trying to balance up the last bad decision - something I have seen before.

A red card after 12 seconds might well have meant three points coming home, in my view.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Hardest job in the game, he's bound to make mistakes.

He booked Blizzard, so he must have seen the tackle. If he thought the player should stay on because it was early in the game and players need time to get the pace of the game, he was wrong. 1st minute or last it was a clear red card. Blizzard was doing what all defenders of limited ability do, go in hard early and let them know your there, safe in the knowledge that refs generally let miss-timed tackles go early on.
    His lack of refing skills didn’t stop there but all his other mistakes were minor compared to that career changing tackle.
  • Was Trevor Kettle the bloke that basically gave Man City the game up there in the mid 90's when we lost 2-1 midweek?