Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

lloyd sam

Comments

• Options
    Would be interested to see how many of Sams assists this season came from crosses.
  • Options
    gets crosses over that lead to corners not really into crossing beauties on to peoples heads,i though that was one of the better sam perfomances yesterday,after frazer had him second best charlton player, never put to much trust in him,he will let you down.
  • Options
    semedo is getting off lightly after yesterday.
  • Options
    Sam was the only midfielder to put in a good shift yesterday - imho easily our Motm for what it's worth - otherwise we didn't really compete.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]semedo is getting off lightly after yesterday.

Didn't think Semedo was at his best but he wins the ball turns and passes out wide. Looked like he was looking to pass to the left wing last night a few times but no one was moving for him which led to him getting caught in possession on a couple of occasions.
  • Options
    true.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Utterly flabberghasting thread! I thought Lloyd along with Burton and Richardson played very well last night. McKenzie and Dickson were well um....er......
  • Options
    People are entitled to their opinions but some on here a crazy. Clearly from people that have never played the game.

Pretty sure i read on an earlier posts ''apart from Llera, Sam was our worst player''......''He is a lazy bastard''.
    You must watch a completely different game to me!!!!!!!?..i take it you didnt see the performances of Basey, Bailey, Shelvey, Mooney...

I was quietly pleased with Sam performance last night. He is, still, frustrating at times but last night he put in some decent crosses and was the only player that seemed comfortable on the ball. When he is our only hope of any creativity it seems to carry a burden. Everytime we get the ball we look out right, due to us having no option on the left. You dont have to be a great side to work out how to frustrate us and stop us creating anything.

Be interesting to hear Oggy's views as i know he is a fan of Sam's and im presuming he watched last night as it was on the box.

Ive watched the game in person and on Sky and no way was Sam one of our worst players.
  • Options
    I like lloyd Sam; other teams fear him and on his day the lad's a great asset on the ball.

The thing that annoys me is that he makes hardly any off the ball runs at all. They had quite a high line most of the game yesterday, and Sam running off the ball from deep would have been perfect. Is he ever gona see the oppurtunity to make these runs, or does he not have the brain?
  • Options
    I agree with that FCF.

The one time Sam did make a run in behind, Burton put a lovely ball through and Sam laid it back to Mooney. Good save from the keeper. He could/should do more of that with his pace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I agree wholeheartedly with Valley Gary. Sam is a player that opponents fear and excites the crowd- some things come off some don't- that is the nature of wingers. But with Sam an attacking threat is there. Still we could always sell him for peanuts and play long balls up to the strikers and hope for the best!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]I like lloyd Sam; other teams fear him and on his day the lad's a great asset on the ball.

The thing that annoys me is that he makes hardly any off the ball runs at all. They had quite a high line most of the game yesterday, and Sam running off the ball from deep would have been perfect. Is he ever gona see the oppurtunity to make these runs, or does he not have the brain?

I'm a big Lloyd Sam fan, but I have to admit - intelligent off the ball movement is not high up his list of strengths. I guess that comes from having a bit of pace and lots of skill. From a young age he'll probably have picked the ball up deep and just run past everyone with the ball - he's never had to rely on his movement. He can still go on a long dribble from time to time, even in the professional game, but it would improve him no end if he made the odd run in behind the full back in anticipation of a through ball.

He has improved in some areas - for example he's much more likely, than before, to be seen backing up at the far post when we're attacking down the left (e.g. his two headers vs Tranmere) but he's still a bit flat footed when other players have the ball.

He's not direct like Waggy, but it takes all sorts to make up a balanced football team and there's more than one way to crack an egg. I fully understand why some might prefer Waggy, but I don't see why people are so blind to what Sam brings to the team or more to the point are so degrogitory (sp?) about about him.
  • Options
    Now that Routledge has gone to the Geordies, perhaps Middlesbrough will come back in for Sam.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Imagine you were actually playing in the same side as Sam - if you are a defender under pressure, there he is dropping deep making himself available. A vital outlet.

Or you're a central midfielder - you look up and there's Sam on the halfway line with his back to the touchline and a defender up his arse. You know you can still play a short ball to feet and he'll retain posession or, like he did against Hartlepool, suddenly change direction with a backheel leaving his defender for dead, and go on a run and still cross the ball.

Or you sidestep an opponent, and play a 45 degree angled pass into space just behind Sam's marker - and there is Sam skinning the defender and heading towards the goaline.

If you're a forward and up against big lump centrebacks bigger than you, you'll know that Sam won't just wack in a cross that you haven't a hope in hell of winning - you'll know that Sam will try to play you in by passing to feet if he can. Sometimes it comes off and sometimes it won't, but you know as a forward it'll often create a better opportunity for you.

I'm sure Sam is hugely valued by his team mates - and by his own manager too, for his contribution to the team unit.
    And he's also our one player singled out by each opposing manager as our danger man.

What is it that professionals understand - that many fans don't?

Sure, there are times when Sam over eggs the cake, but all players can be guilty of that. But bearing in mind that our current formation is so unbalanced on the left, opponents can spare an extra defender to double up on Sam - then he'll be a lot more restricted with what he can do.

Which begs the question - if Sam's double marked, where's OUR spare man and what is he doing?
  • Options
    I took the day off work today and watched the repeat of the match and Lloyd was one of the better players for us without a doubt. Last night I couldn't believe my ears that people were slagging him off so much including someone being really racist towards him, something that I haven't heard at The Valley for years. People pay their money and have the right to express themselves yadda yadda... some people are fools and I'm embarrassed to sit near them when they are flying off the handle, when before last night we'd only lost 2 league games, and it was clearly just 'not our night' last night. Win, lose or draw some of our supporters will never be happy. I wish they would f**k off before Lloyd does.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Last night he was running around like a headless chicken Oggy. The spare man that is not Sam. ;)
  • Options
    I was just generalising on Sam's value to the team, Vinnie.
  • Options
    Totally agree. Every neutral i've bought to a match recently has said he's our best player and commented on his work in defence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Imagine you were actually playing in the same side as Sam- if you are a defender under pressure, there he is dropping deep making himself available. A vital outlet.

Or you're a central midfielder - you look up and there's Sam on the halfway line with his back to the touchline and a defender up his arse. You know you can still play a short ball to feet and he'll retain posession or, like he did against Hartlepool, suddenly change direction with a backheel leaving his defender for dead, and go on a run and still cross the ball.

Or you sidestep an opponent, and play a 45 degree angled pass into space just behind Sam's marker - and there is Sam skinning the defender and heading towards the goaline.

If you're a forward and up against big lump centrebacks bigger than you, you'll know that Sam won't just wack in a cross that you haven't a hope in hell of winning - you'll know that Sam will try to play you in by passing to feet if he can. Sometimes it comes off and sometimes it won't, but you know as a forward it'll often create a better opportunity for you.

I'm sure Sam is hugely valued by his team mates - and by his own manager too, for his contribution to the team unit.
    And he's also our one player singled out by each opposing manager as our danger man.

What is it that professionals understand - that many fans don't?

Oggy loves Sam & Sam loves Oggy ;-)

Sure, there are times when Sam over eggs the cake, but all players can be guilty of that. But bearing in mind that our current formation is so unbalanced on the left, opponents can spare an extra defender to double up on Sam - then he'll be a lot more restricted with what he can do.

Which begs the question - if Sam's double marked, where's OUR spare man and what is he doing?
  • Options
    OO-er my comment is in there somewhere ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sam's been hit and miss this season and can be genuinely frustrating but I can't understand why he is beeing made the scapegoat for last night.

There were at least 5 players who performed far worse than him last night. It was a dreadful performance by the team but he was one of the few to come out of it with any credit in my opinion.
  • Options
    The only player on the team that showed any creativity last night.
  • Options
    You lot are fooking crazy i tell you he was shite last night along with everyone else who played bar Richardson

but thats what makes football great opinions
  • Options
    Lloyd can be frustrating but he has the second highest amount of assists in the division this season and I really don't think we can afford to lose him, especially given our problems on the left wing and our general lack of creativity.
  • Options
    I cant belive the stick the guys gets. He chases back, does plenty going forward, has flair and is enjoyable to watch. OK so he should score more without doubt. BUT I think his crossing has improved alot this season and he gets his head up and looks for options alot. I site his cross to mooney in the first half and his pull back in the second. Add to that his assist for jonjo at Wycombe.

He loves the club and plays with a smile. Lets enjoy and get behind him.

PS: come on swindon and walsall!
  • Options
    If he was Mr Consistent and always being effective in running at players and delivering quality crosses then he wouldn't be playing for us in the third division.

He started the season very well, but he's probably being earmarked by the opposition as one of our most dangerous players so they're no doubt working hard to counteract that.

Of course that could mean that our left winger could be getting more room, if we had one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]If he was Mr Consistent and always being effective in running at players and delivering quality crosses then he wouldn't be playing for us in the third division.

True
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]If he was Mr Consistent and always being effective in running at players and delivering quality crosses then he wouldn't be playing for us in the third division.

True

..........and therefore we should thank our lucky stars that we have the likes of him & Bailey
  • Options
    behave he is nothing amazing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]behave he is nothing amazing

I think Bailey is quite good actually