Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Liquorice Pizza
    Fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off.
    What is this fucking obsession with making films with no fucking plot? Why do critics foam about how great it is?
    Do not wate money on this fucking film. Imagine excerpts of Charlton losing to Cheltenham, in 30 second bursts, interjected with idle scenes with a bunch of random people doing dull stuff. Over two hours. 
    -1/10

And breathe.......
  • Options
    Death on the Nile. Drags like the previous incarnation. Only bright spot is giving Poirot a bit of a back story. 
  • Options
    Watched eternals last night. Thought it was ok. A little hard to follow at times + I can't stand the Scottish fella from the bodyguard.
  • Options
    Liquorice Pizza
    What is this fucking obsession with making films with no fucking plot? Why do critics foam about how great it is?
    Do not wate money on this fucking film. Imagine excerpts of Charlton losing to Cheltenham, in 30 second bursts, interjected with idle scenes with a bunch of random people doing dull stuff. Over two hours. 
    -1/10

And breathe.......
    I saw it - no real plot as you say.
  • Options
    Space Jam - A new legacy - 7/10 (Sky) 
    Actually really enjoyed this, an updated/ animated in parts version. Was quite surprised as i quite liked it, worth a watch imo. 
  • Options
    The Kings Man.

It has goats! Lots of them! 

It’s marvellous 🤩🤩🤩😍😍😍🐐🐐🐐🐐
  • Options
    Actually really enjoyed this, an updated/ animated in parts version. Was quite surprised as i quite liked it, worth a watch imo. 
    Agreed. As soon as they got away from LeBron James' horrific acting and switch to animation it livened right up.
  • Options
    Agreed. As soon as they got away from LeBron James' horrific acting and switch to animation it livened right up.
    Ah, come on, he's a much better actor than Jordan! I recently rewatched the original, which I had been so excited to see as a kid. It blew my mind, it's barely a movie. I didn't think this was great, but it's certainly better than the original. Don Cheadle MVP, gives his role more effort than it probably deserves! 
  • Options
    Just watched The King's Man. Didn't like it one bit. Felt lazy to me. Like Matthew Vaughn wrote a list of Kingsman cliches and turned them into a script of loosely-related scenes. Some of the dialogue felt like it was first draft, holding page dialogue. Really surprised by it. 2/6

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Watched the Tinder Swindler on Netflix last night.  A documentary film - but a bit like a drama about an israeli who used the name of Simon Leviev and made out to be the son of a billionaire.  Conned millions out of vulnerable women looking for love on Tinder.  Can't believe some people would fall for some of the hings he said and did...worth a watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I caught Munich, the Edge of War on Netflix. Very enjoyable watch, though maybe a tad overdramatised. It gave Neville Chamberlain a bit of a pat on the back he seldom gets for his pre war diplomacy. I had a mate who studied the history of that period, who always said a lot of the British public still remembered WW1 in the nineteen-thirties, and after the horrors of the trenches, almost anything was preferable. Eventually, it became clear that Hitler was worse, but there was a bit of hindsight employed. Anyway, that wasn't the main thriust of the film, but if you like a good historical thriller, and that period flicks your switch, I'd recommend this one. 
    8/10
    Yeah I thought it was a good watch. Thought Jeremy Irons was excellent.
  • Options
    I caught Munich, the Edge of War on Netflix. Very enjoyable watch, though maybe a tad overdramatised. It gave Neville Chamberlain a bit of a pat on the back he seldom gets for his pre war diplomacy. I had a mate who studied the history of that period, who always said a lot of the British public still remembered WW1 in the nineteen-thirties, and after the horrors of the trenches, almost anything was preferable. Eventually, it became clear that Hitler was worse, but there was a bit of hindsight employed. Anyway, that wasn't the main thriust of the film, but if you like a good historical thriller, and that period flicks your switch, I'd recommend this one. 
    8/10
    I quite enjoyed although my son was less impressed. 
  • Options
    8/10
    Yeah I thought it was a good watch. Thought Jeremy Irons was excellent.
    Fully agree. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Just watched The King's Man. Didn't like it one bit. Felt lazy to me. Like Matthew Vaughn wrote a list of Kingsman cliches and turned them into a script of loosely-related scenes. Some of the dialogue felt like it was first draft, holding page dialogue. Really surprised by it. 2/6

Thought it was ok, not great though. A bit different to the first two.
    Unfortunately, like the sequel, it was never going to live up to the first one.
    Found the genuine bits of history satisfying as I was aware of some of these, so that was enjoyable. I thought the main villain was telegraphed right from the beginning, so the reveal was a bit meh. Quite liked Ralph Fiennes. Thought he was ok. Rhys Ifans was a bit of silliness hamming it up spectacularly. Djimon Hounsou was a bit underused. As was Gemma Arterton.
    Having said that, talking of Gemma Arterton, the most annoying thing for me was her accent. Why make her northern? Did her character need to be northern? Why couldn’t she have been from Kent? It just reminded me of Daphne Moon from Frasier (another southern Englishwoman doing a terrible northern accent for no apparent reason) and it made my ears itch every time she spoke. And bear in mind, this comes from someone who really likes Gemma Arterton (purely for her acting, obviously 😎) So I’ll rephrase - if Gemma Arterton had used her own accent, she would’ve been underused.

A bit of silly fun, nothing to get excited about. Not the worst film I’ve ever seen.
    5.2/8.7 🤪
  • Options
    Liquorice Pizza
    -1/10

And breathe.......
    I really enjoyed it.  It's got a plot.  The plot is "this is what it's like to be young, dumb, and full of...".  It's a bit like American Graffiti in its evocation of another time and place.
  • Options
    I always enjoy Matthew Vaughan films and sat down with anticipation for the Kings Man 

I'm with Jimmy 

Felt very let down by it, absolutely love both the previous kingsmen films and there are lots of actors I rate in this one but it was really, really cruddily done. The redeeming features are it was filmed and shot beautifully and the scenes in the trenches were very visceral. 
  • Options
    Just watched Munich: Edge of War

Found it quite enjoyable... Never really paid much attention to Neville Chamberlain apart from his brief spell as Prime Minister ahead of the Second World War, so was a good sort of insight into events of that period - Jeremy Irons, is just one of those actors with a great voice, Whilst hope to see; Jannis Niewöhner in more films in the future as found him excellent.

My only gripe was I thought that the actor chosen for Hilter was an awful choice

Might be because few want to play such a character, but one of the worst visuals I've seen for a while. Dont know if its been mentioned on here, but the actor who plays him was Goebbels in Downfall, and for that no one could have been chosen better.

Did make me smile when George Mackay runs to the House of Parliament with a letter

Given his role in 1917 he's getting rather stuck in roles that do that sort of thing ;)
  • Options
    I'd forgotten about Hitler's potrail. Looked sort of how I'd imagine him if he'd lived to around 1960. You'd really think they could have found someone younger, as it grated in every scene.
  • Options
    I watched the Munich film too about 10 days ago with my parents and we all quite enjoyed it. I had thought it would be slow but it turned to be fairly fast paced - which I always love about a film. My mum kept saying how handsome the young German actor was! 😂😂😂 Funnily enough she also said the Hitler here in this film was unbelievably ugly and didn't look like the real Hitler at all - similar to thoughts from @ForeverAddickted 😀
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    I always enjoy Matthew Vaughan films and sat down with anticipation for the Kings Man 

I'm with Jimmy 

Felt very let down by it, absolutely love both the previous kingsmen films and there are lots of actors I rate in this one but it was really, really cruddily done. The redeeming features are it was filmed and shot beautifully and the scenes in the trenches were very visceral. 
    And the goats 😜
  • Options
    Munich - Edge of War has a lot going for it. Great performances working to an excellent script. I like that the Germans speak German. But it has been edited by an absolute fucking lunatic. That and the handheld style are clearing meant to give the film a sense of chaos and urgency. But the fast cutting did  my head in. Especially when they’re crossing the line with the camera angles during conversations. 
  • Options
    I completely forgot to mention the Germans speaking their native language.

Thought it was a great touch, wish it would happen more really - Although confused me a little bit for a brief second when Hitler spoke in German to Chamberlain and we didnt get subtitles, yet then realised the translator was there.

Reminds me of Hugh Dennis on Mock the Week ("Vhy are ve speaking Eenglish")
  • Options
    Persian Lessons .. superb continental film (with some worrying scenes) about a concentration camp victim conning an SS officer in order to stay alive
  • Options
    Booked in to see The Batman on Sunday - really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Persian Lessons .. superb continental film (with some worrying scenes) about a concentration camp victim conning an SS officer in order to stay alive
    We screened it at film club last night and I thought it was excellent - gripping throughout, with a nice touch of humour towards the end. A murmer of discontent went up when the initial credits referred to ‘Belarus Films’, although the director himself was born in Kyiv.
  • Options
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy (Japan)

Told from the viewpoint of their female protagonists, Hamaguchi's film comprises three separate stories about choice, chance and regret. Each one is a dialogue-driven chamber piece - the first about an unexpected love triangle, the second a failed seduction trap and the third an encounter which results from a case of mistaken identity. The film won the Silver Bear Grand Jury Prize (the second most prestigious) at the 2021 Berlin Film Festival.

An interesting and intelligent film but I can understand why it has been overshadowed by the director's other current UK release, the excellent, Oscar-nominated 'Drive My Car'.

Petite Maman (France)

After the death of her maternal grandmother, eight-year-old Nelly goes to her mother's childhood home to help her parents clear out her grandmother's belongings. She meets a strangely familiar girl her own age in the woods and the connection she forms with this mysterious new friend helps her come to terms with her recent loss.

The film is a kind of fairytale/fable about grief, friendship and love between mother and daughter. It has achieved near-universal acclaim amongst critics with a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and Mark Kermode made it his best film of 2021. For me, however, although the young twins who play the leads delivered charming and accomplished performances, I'm afraid that I was unable to connect with the film and its key messages passed me by.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy (Japan)

Told from the viewpoint of their female protagonists, Hamaguchi's film comprises three separate stories about choice, chance and regret. Each one is a dialogue-driven chamber piece - the first about an unexpected love triangle, the second a failed seduction trap and the third an encounter which results from a case of mistaken identity. The film won the Silver Bear Grand Jury Prize (the second most prestigious) at the 2021 Berlin Film Festival.

An interesting and intelligent film but I can understand why it has been overshadowed by the director's other current UK release, the excellent, Oscar-nominated 'Drive My Car'.

Petite Maman (France)

After the death of her maternal grandmother, eight-year-old Nelly goes to her mother's childhood home to help her parents clear out her grandmother's belongings. She meets a strangely familiar girl her own age in the woods and the connection she forms with this mysterious new friend helps her come to terms with her recent loss.

The film is a kind of fairytale/fable about grief, friendship and love between mother and daughter. It has achieved near-universal acclaim amongst critics with a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and Mark Kermode made it his best film of 2021. For me, however, although the young twins who play the leads delivered charming and accomplished performances, I'm afraid that I was unable to connect with the film and its key messages passed me by.
    Regarding PM, have you seen and enjoyed the directors other films, like Portrait of a Lady On Fire, Girlhood or Tomboy? Just trying to gauge whether I'll like PM, because I though POALOF was really good and the other two were pretty decent.
  • Options
    Tried West Side Story. Couldn’t get along with it at all.