Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sports personality of the year

Comments

• Ha, quality !
  • Always lots of contenders in an Olympic Year - so many to chose from already this year
  • edited August 2021
    Always lots of contenders in an Olympic Year - so many to chose from already this year
    Yes - Jason Kenny and Tom Daley would be amongst the favourites I would think.

Edit: Just looked on oddschecker and they are the two front-runners.
  • Yeah unfortunately I think Tom Daley will be right up there now - Still be a travesty if Mark Cavendish doesnt end up on the shortlist... Also feel that his achievements still overshadow anyone's at the Olympics, but the Olympics have always received better coverage than the Tour
  • Adam peaty for me 
  • Cavendish for me. One of the greatest ever sporting comebacks. But he’s won it before. Kenny or Daley would be fine. How about Peaty? 
    Footballers rarely win; but Sterling maybe? Harry Kane? Darren Pratley?
  • Cavendish for me too, though very close with Jason Kenny
  • I’m assuming Ipswich have the team award sewn up for already going through the season unbeaten 
    Obviously, they will have Jason Kenny, Tom Daley and Mark Cavendish in the squad by the end if the season to cover all bases.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Cavendish,Peaty and Jason Kenny have got to be the front runners. Team GB to take team of the year too. 

Rumours of a special award for Services to Moaning for Christian Horner too. 
  • Charlie Kirk for me.
    I find myself fretting over whether we sign him or not. But tbh, never really ‘eard of him. 
  • Kenny for me. If you can't win it in a year when you set a record like that, when can you? That said Trott has got to be a contender, can't they have a family award?

Is Cav out of contention for the TdF next year? I'd rather him get the award when he takes Merckx's record ;)
  • Cav for me ... but Jason Kenny is right up there too. 
  • Sky Brown if there’s a breakthrough/youth award. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Cavendish,Peaty and Jason Kenny have got to be the front runners. Team GB to take team of the year too. 

Rumours of a special award for Services to Moaning for Christian Horner too
    Rassie Erasmus will run him close on that.

• Stig said:
    Kenny for me. If you can't win it in a year when you set a record like that, when can you? That said Trott has got to be a contender, can't they have a family award?

Is Cav out of contention for the TdF next year? I'd rather him get the award when he takes Merckx's record ;)
    Will remain to be seen how he does over the next 12 months really... Hasnt signed a new deal with Quick-Step yet for starters
  • MarcusH26 said:

Am thinking the same - cheating 'water carrier' too
  • Marcus Rashford?
  • Marcus Rashford?
    He’s struggled with an injury that affected his form. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Marcus Rashford?
    Bound to be, or a special award, maybe "The Montgomery Burns award for outstanding achievement in the field of Excellence" would be appropriate.
  • edited August 2021
    Kenny is a great shout. He has won a silly amount of medals, mostly gold and would be very deserving. Mind you, his wife ought to have a great shout too! I'd give it the the Kenny family.
  • Adam peaty for me 
    Same 
  • Another shout for Kenny, although I get why Daley is up there given everything he's gone through and achieved. And people genuinely seem to like him (and why wouldn't you?). Feel for Cav but in an Olympic year, in a minority sport that doesn't get prime time coverage, I can't see him getting it.
  • Kenny became Britain's greatest Olympian of all time. I appreciate that feat is achieved over numerous years, but it is akin to Hamilton breaking the F1 records. It deserves recognition.
  • Hal1x said:
    Marcus Rashford?
    Bound to be, or a special award, maybe "The Montgomery Burns award for outstanding achievement in the field of Excellence" would be appropriate.
    He won an award last year for his work to ensure school meals
  • MarcusH26 said:

Rassie and Horner in a room together would be carnage 😂
  • Joe Root? Pretty much playing every other country on his own at the moment. 
  • I think Lauren Price deserves some kind of recognition
  • Jonniesta said:
    Joe Root? Pretty much playing every other country on his own at the moment. 
    He will definitely be on the short list as he's been superb this year, but the poor performance of the team will count against him