Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sports personality of the year

Comments

• edited December 2009
    I've got garden plants with more "personality" than that fool

...and back to my original point - when are the English Sports Personality of the Year awards ?
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Hmmm, not sure which is worse

Ryan Giggs wins Personality of the Year despite not really having a personality and there being loads of other world champions and whatnot among the nominees.

England Men's Cricket team wins Team of the Year despite losing to Holland and most of their one dayers. This compared to the England Women's Cricket team who beat pretty much everything put in front of them.

IA....it was the TEST team that won the award NOT the one day team.
  • Agree it was a very unexpected choice...all of Wales and the huge Man U base obviously swung it.
    Still....I don't begrudge him.....though as someone already said a 'lifetime' award would have been more fitting.
  • Thoroughly deserved if you ask me.To play at the level he plays at for that length of time is remarkable.As for the award.Didn't the queens bloody grandaughter win it a few years back?
  • 'Personality' is just because of the English langiage's need to differtiate between sportsman/sportswoman. If it was a new programme it would probably be called Sporting Idol 2009. If Haye had been fighting in free-to-air TV he might have won it, enough people know that Button had the car, and unfortunately not enough people know about cycling.

Interesting that Izzard was there. A couple of years ago David Walliams should have won it when he swam the channel despite never having done anything like that before.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Ollie I know you detest him mate but your continued slagging of him off makes you look a little foolish,considering what he has achieved in his career.

Steve, he is gash, you know it, i know it, the whole world knows it except for the red nose raindeer in charge of manure!! He only scores shinners, and i would rather have Carl Leaburn than him!!! Not foolish, my opinion, and thats that.
  • LOL you donkey he is a class act
  • [cite]Posted By: BrentfordAddick[/cite]'Personality' is just because of the English langiage's need to differtiate.....

Too true
  • well done giggsy thank f--k button didnt win even i could be world champion in that car.
  • I was quite happy to see Giggs win it, for the reasons stated by northstandsteve, although a lifetime achievement award might have been more appropriate. He was obviuosly genuinely surprised to win it himself.

The team award got me though - test or one day - doesn't matter for the ladies they beat all comers - they should have won it by a country mile.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's going for the Princess Di Obama Ghandi prize next:

"As a footballer I can't imagine life without the use of one of my legs... Sadly this is exactly what happens to thousands of children every year when they accidentally step on a landmine"
    Ryan Giggs
  • the award for seve was crackin and olazabal was well choked up
  • Would he have got the award if he had not hd the brain tumour though?

I know that sounds harsh, but just a question. I'm not a big golf fan and he may deserve it but just asking.
  • you heartless cordruoy jacket wearing sod
  • I like Ennis.

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_ennisdatass.gif
  • Not sure if Giggs deserved to win it, but I don't think Button did either. F1 World Champion maybe, but only because he had the outstanding car for the first half of the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]I like Ennis.

She should have won it. The amount of work and training for little financial reward (unlike the others) she has done and the event she won THIS year means that she met the requirement/title more than any of the other high profile names on the shortlist.

As has been said Giggs should have got an acheivement award of some sort (at most).
  • [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]I like Ennis.

She should have won it. The amount of work and training for little financial reward (unlike the others) she has done and the event she won THIS year means that she met the requirement/title more than any of the other high profile names on the shortlist.

As has been said Giggs should have got an acheivement award of some sort (at most).

What Chaz said
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Would he have got the award if he had not hd the brain tumour though?

I know that sounds harsh, but just a question. I'm not a big golf fan and he may deserve it but just asking.
    Of course he wouldn't. Basically the whole thing is a pack of crap designed to spike a bit of tabloid outrage.

In as much as anybody deserves a lifetime achievement award, I guess he does, but it's an even more pointless award than the others and as it was transparently given because he's not been well seems all the more hollow.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Would he have got the award if he had not hd the brain tumour though?

Of course he wouldn't. Basically the whole thing is a pack of crap designed to spike a bit of tabloid outrage.

In as much as anybody deserves a lifetime achievement award, I guess he does, but it's an even more pointless award than the others and as it was transparently given because he's not been well seems all the more hollow.

He has achieved enough in his career to be deserving of a lifetime award.

What concerns me is the fact that it was presented now. Perhaps his condition is worse than is being reported.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]the award for seve was crackin and olazabal was well choked up

Yup, that was an award completely and utterly deserved ... and Olazabal presenting the award made it perfect.
  • Seve is a legend, and well deserved his gong. He made Ryder cup what it is today, he really got up the yank noses!
  • [cite]Posted By: Soundasa£[/cite]IA....it was the TEST team that won the award NOT the one day team.

I don't follow cricket, but this would seem to disagree with you, mentioning as it does the ODIs and losing to Netherlands. I didn't watch the awards show, but I understand the England Women's cricket team (won everything before them) and the Ireland rugby union team* (unbeaten all year) were nominated. I'm sure Brawn Racing were nominated too. Compared to those three, the achievement of winning the Ashes (which has been done in recent memory unlike Brawn or Ireland certainly and England women cricketers probably) is just not as good.

* Whether the Ireland rugby team is eligible to be the UK Team of the Year is beside the point. They were deemed worthy of nomination, so why couldn't they win it? At any rate, I'd have given it to the women's cricketers, based on what I've heard of their achievements.
  • According to reports Mark Cavendish came 4th but should've been in the Top 3 easily.
  • Do we think its just because Giggs has to be one of the longest serving prem players to stay at the same club since the prem began in 1992.
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Soundasa£[/cite]IA....it was the TEST team that won the award NOT the one day team.

I don't follow cricket, butthiswould seem to disagree with you, mentioning as it does the ODIs and losing to Netherlands. I didn't watch the awards show, but I understand the England Women's cricket team (won everything before them) and the Ireland rugby union team* (unbeaten all year) were nominated. I'm sure Brawn Racing were nominated too. Compared to those three, the achievement of winning the Ashes (which has been done in recent memory unlike Brawn or Ireland certainly and England women cricketers probably) is just not as good.

* Whether the Ireland rugby team is eligible to be the UK Team of the Year is beside the point. They were deemed worthy of nomination, so why couldn't they win it? At any rate, I'd have given it to the women's cricketers, based on what I've heard of their achievements.

But the BBC already have the rights to F1, they are pitching to get the next contract to broadcast the Tests...
  • best bit by far was Jessica Innis she looked mint last night, and she likes to get her leg over as well.
  • So anyone spot the Charlton connection last night?
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]best bit by far was Jessica Innis she looked mint last night, and she likes to get her leg over as well.

Not sure if the javelin is in the heptathlon, but she can play with mine.
  • edited September 2011
    well sod u lot i was pleased,i think this geezer is a class act both on and off the pitch, unlike many high profile sportsmen you dont read about who he has
    been shagging all over the papers,been at the top of the game for 20 years,and playing as well as ever.Ollie I know you detest him mate but your continued slagging of him off makes you look a little foolish,considering what he has achieved in his career.
    I was searching for another thread on something else but this thread came up so i re-read it!

What was that you were saying about not reading about Gigg's private life! @northstandsteve haha.  Some of these old comments are gooduns.