Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Wire

1235»

Comments

• Options
    1StevieG said:

I really enjoyed The Wire when I watched it a few years ago and know that feeling at the end of the 5th series that it would take something special to match the drama. Have just finished season 4 of Sons of Anarchy which had a similar appeal to me and have only just got over the withdrawal symptoms while I wait to get my hands on season 5. In the meantime I have just started Breaking Bad and if the first episode is anything to go by then this could be keep me entertained whilst waiting for SOA 5. Just goes to show that there is more to TV than reality shows and cookery programmes.

Breaking Bad just gets better & better as you go along.

• Options

1StevieG said:

I really enjoyed The Wire when I watched it a few years ago and know that feeling at the end of the 5th series that it would take something special to match the drama. Have just finished season 4 of Sons of Anarchy which had a similar appeal to me and have only just got over the withdrawal symptoms while I wait to get my hands on season 5. In the meantime I have just started Breaking Bad and if the first episode is anything to go by then this could be keep me entertained whilst waiting for SOA 5. Just goes to show that there is more to TV than reality shows and cookery programmes.

Amen. Though sad to see that almost all my favourite TV shows of the past ten years have been American :(
    There's been some great UK stuff as well . Luther for one . I also loved one on channel 4 called 'low winter sun'

• Options
    I treated myself to the box set at Christmas and have watched seasons 1 & 2 and so far I am loving The Wire, I struggled with the first few episodes but then I did that with The Sopranos however as with anything made by HBO it turns into a classic.

I see above there is a mixed reaction to season 2 on the docks however I enjoyed this one so bring on season 3!
  • Options
    Just started the wire again, great winter tv !
  • Options
    DA9 said:

1StevieG said:

Breaking Bad just gets better & better as you go along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIom3LSbB0I
  • Options
    DA1 said:

Bagpuss said:
    RIP

AVON BARKSDALE "Ayo what's up playboy? How come you wearin' that suit, B? For real its 85 fuckin' degrees out here and you try'na be like fuckin' Pat Riley"

PROPOSITION JOE "Look the part, be the part, motherfucker."
    Fool, if it wasn't for Serge here, you and your cuz both would be cadaverous motherfuckers.

RIP
  • Options
    David Simon's in London in a couple of weeks as part of a debate on drugs if anyone is interested:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/extra/2013/may/03/extra-war-on-drugs-debate

£12 a ticket, Thursday 23rd near Piccadilly Circus. Also an interview with him and his take on the drug war here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/may/11/david-simon-wire-war-on-drugs
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

David Simon's in London in a couple of weeks as part of a debate on drugs if anyone is interested:

£12 a ticket, Thursday 23rd near Piccadilly Circus. Also an interview with him and his take on the drug war here:

completely agree with what he says about the drug "war". It's a war on the poor and disadvantaged. I also agree with his view on the decriminalisation and legalisation of cannabis, it's just letting white people get high on a harmless drug rather than doing anything for the drug war. To be fair, billions would be pumped into our economy if cannabis was legal but i still think to tackle the root of the problem you have to legalise, or at least, decriminalise all drugs.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

RedPanda said:

completely agree with what he says about the drug "war". It's a war on the poor and disadvantaged. I also agree with his view on the decriminalisation and legalisation of cannabis, it's just letting white people get high on a harmless drug rather than doing anything for the drug war. To be fair, billions would be pumped into our economy if cannabis was legal but i still think to tackle the root of the problem you have to legalise, or at least, decriminalise all drugs.
    War on the poor on the "poor and disadvantaged"? Dont make me laugh

If they stopped peddling and using crack and heroin and got jobs they would be less poor and disadvantaged and might have the focus to actually "keep it real" and get in the real world and work for a living like 99% of people have to do. Could then stop waiting for handouts and everything to be given to them on a plate and break the generational cycle.

And yes I have read his excellent book the Corner.

Kids going through rubbish tips in Peru for food and sellable stuff are poor and disadvantaged. Not head to toe clad in Nike gear drug dealers and drug addicts spending big bucks on escaping reality as it's easier than going to work in mcdonalds.

And your white people canabis comment is utter horseshit sorry. You never been to Brixton?
  • Options

RedPanda said:

If they stopped peddling and using crack and heroin and got jobs they would be less poor and disadvantaged and might have the focus to actually "keep it real" and get in the real world and work for a living like 99% of people have to do. Could then stop waiting for handouts and everything to be given to them on a plate and break the generational cycle.

Kids going through rubbish tips in Peru for food and sellable stuff are poor and disadvantaged. Not head to toe clad in Nike gear drug dealers and drug addicts spending big bucks on escaping reality as it's easier than going to work in mcdonalds.

And your white people canabis comment is utter horseshit sorry. You never been to Brixton?
    First off, I'm guessing you didn't actually read the article linked. Have a butchers please. Secondly your belief that drug addicts should just "stop using" drugs is the real horseshit. Do you really believe people get up in the morning and think "I'm going to choose to ruin my life and my health by continually doing this drug". People fall into drug addiction in various ways, bad choices, wrong crowd etc and yes, that is their fault. But to think that once they're under the spell of addiction (which can happen very quickly) they have any kind of choice in what they're doing, shows the highest level of ignorance in an archaic fashion. Legalisation would allow care that would be available to drug addicts whenever they pop in to a dispensery. Look at Portugal, since decriminalisation overall their violent crime has fallen.

Now to the peddlers, do you really think that, particularly in America (what my comment was based on), there are a lot of jobs around for high school drop outs in black areas of high social depravity? Particularly jobs with some kind of career path so they can progress out of the area? The reason gangs are involved and that there is killing and violent crime is because of the fact it's illegal. What are the main income for gangs? Drugs and weapons. Legalise drugs, anyone can set up a drug dispensary, pay taxes and contribute to society. They won't need illegal firearms to defend against rival gangs. Are you seeing that the root of the generational cycle is that drugs are illegal?

If you would have read the article linked I wouldn't have to explain my "war on the disadvantaged and poor". Say you've got a 13 year old kid, his mother's a crack addict and he has brothers and sisters to support. How else are you going to make any decent amount of money except by working for gangs and selling drugs? One day he gets caught, gets a criminal record. He goes to prison. This means in the states he is unable to vote for the rest of his life. This is a huge underbelly of people who can't vote and can't get people to represent them in government and make any changes that will have any real affect in the community. Again, this is all mentioned in the article that was linked. Before you drop in your hard wired "drug addicts and dealers are not human beings" rhetoric that is older than you probably are, read what I was talking about.

As for your Brixton comment... Erm? Are you saying that it's only black people that deal and smoke cannabis? Just so I can clarify, that was what you are saying?

You'd be blind and pretty stupid to think that there aren't a huge amount of middle class white kids accross America smoking cannabis. Decriminalisation is a smart move, but as Simon says in the article that was linked, he's worried that this is the white middle class weed users voting for it so they don't have to buy off that horrid drug dealer rather than doing it for any decent social and economic reason and an indication of the end of the war on drugs.

To clarify, I was talking about the drug war in America which is what Simon is talking about in the article which is much more of a race issue than it is here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Wire is one of those shows that completely passed me by. After numerous people telling me it's a must see, I've now Downloaded the first series and am ready to dive in. For fear of any spoilers, I've not read any of this thread, so y'all shut the f**k up.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaatt...............................
  • Options
    Good post, Kent. Those sorts of issues and their exploration are what make The Wire such a brilliant and unique show.

Drug addiction is a horrible, horrible thing. I can't imagine it, the closest I can are my repeated attempts to quit smoking. It is a murky world and a difficult one to understand, and legalisation could lead to abuse: hence 'Hamsterdam'. I do like the thinking behind decriminalisation though, going by The Wire a large number of arrests are petty ones for having a vial or two. What does that solve? It doesn't stop a dealer or his highers, and I'd guess drugs in prison are just as rife. Simon's comment about the US having more people in prison than China (despite what, a quarter of the population?) is also surprising. It would be difficult to regulate and there would be many pitfalls, but the current situation is arguably worse and nothing is being done about it or has changed since The Corner was written.

I'm actually really looking forward to this debate, have never been to anything like that before.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

RedPanda said:

First off, I'm guessing you didn't actually read the article linked. Have a butchers please. Secondly your belief that drug addicts should just "stop using" drugs is the real horseshit. Do you really believe people get up in the morning and think "I'm going to choose to ruin my life and my health by continually doing this drug". People fall into drug addiction in various ways, bad choices, wrong crowd etc and yes, that is their fault. But to think that once they're under the spell of addiction (which can happen very quickly) they have any kind of choice in what they're doing, shows the highest level of ignorance in an archaic fashion. Legalisation would allow care that would be available to drug addicts whenever they pop in to a dispensery. Look at Portugal, since decriminalisation overall their violent crime has fallen.

Now to the peddlers, do you really think that, particularly in America (what my comment was based on), there are a lot of jobs around for high school drop outs in black areas of high social depravity? Particularly jobs with some kind of career path so they can progress out of the area? The reason gangs are involved and that there is killing and violent crime is because of the fact it's illegal. What are the main income for gangs? Drugs and weapons. Legalise drugs, anyone can set up a drug dispensary, pay taxes and contribute to society. They won't need illegal firearms to defend against rival gangs. Are you seeing that the root of the generational cycle is that drugs are illegal?

If you would have read the article linked I wouldn't have to explain my "war on the disadvantaged and poor". Say you've got a 13 year old kid, his mother's a crack addict and he has brothers and sisters to support. How else are you going to make any decent amount of money except by working for gangs and selling drugs? One day he gets caught, gets a criminal record. He goes to prison. This means in the states he is unable to vote for the rest of his life. This is a huge underbelly of people who can't vote and can't get people to represent them in government and make any changes that will have any real affect in the community. Again, this is all mentioned in the article that was linked. Before you drop in your hard wired "drug addicts and dealers are not human beings" rhetoric that is older than you probably are, read what I was talking about.

As for your Brixton comment... Erm? Are you saying that it's only black people that deal and smoke cannabis? Just so I can clarify, that was what you are saying?

You'd be blind and pretty stupid to think that there aren't a huge amount of middle class white kids accross America smoking cannabis. Decriminalisation is a smart move, but as Simon says in the article that was linked, he's worried that this is the white middle class weed users voting for it so they don't have to buy off that horrid drug dealer rather than doing it for any decent social and economic reason and an indication of the end of the war on drugs.

To clarify, I was talking about the drug war in America which is what Simon is talking about in the article which is much more of a race issue than it is here.
    Having lived with a crack addict on an inner city estate for 6 months many moons ago and knowing many other ex addicts yes I do believe what I said.

The brixton comment was in retort to your implication that cannabis was legalised so whitey can enjoy a toke legally and I was suggesting that many people in brixton enjoyed that freedom when they piloted the downgrading and decriminalisation over here and it is not a majority white area. No racist undertones, overtones or implications at all meant in my comment and so to clarify no.... dont make assumptions when you are talking to strangers over the internet whos backgrounds you havent got a clue about and try and imply i made some sort of racist comment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2001/aug/02/drugsandalcohol.politics

For the record i think addicts need help but need also to help themselves. I would decriminalize all drugs to get rid of the need for dealers as they could be legally supplied through the health service with a view to coming off them and getting their lives together. The current and historic "war" on it is complete bollocks so i agree on that.

Anyway got better things to do than have a keyboard argument with a fellow charlton fan on a sunny day like this so will dive out of this thread now.
  • Options

RedPanda said:

Having lived with a crack addict on an inner city estate for 6 months many moons ago and knowing many other ex addicts yes I do believe what I said.

The brixton comment was in retort to your implication that cannabis was legalised so whitey can enjoy a toke legally and I was suggesting that many people in brixton enjoyed that freedom when they piloted the downgrading and decriminalisation over here and it is not a majority white area. No racist undertones, overtones or implications at all meant in my comment and so to clarify no.... dont make assumptions when you are talking to strangers over the internet whos backgrounds you havent got a clue about and try and imply i made some sort of racist comment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2001/aug/02/drugsandalcohol.politics

For the record i think addicts need help but need also to help themselves. I would decriminalize all drugs to get rid of the need for dealers as they could be legally supplied through the health service with a view to coming off them and getting their lives together. The current and historic "war" on it is complete bollocks so i agree on that.

Anyway got better things to do than have a keyboard argument with a fellow charlton fan on a sunny day like this so will dive out of this thread now.
    Fair play.

I do agree that addicts do need to help themselves. Wait, what are we argueing about?! haha.

Didn't make any assumptions, just allowed you to defend yourself by asking a question about what I thought was a fairly strange comment but you did.

I think, like immigration, it makes me angry that to spark any kind of debate on a nationwide level is some how taboo. Hopefully it will change.
  • Options
    Agreed mate.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Last night was very interesting, and thought provoking. David Simon was joined by the directors of The House I Live In and Cocaine Unwrapped. A few points which stood out...

- The issue should be treated as a health care problem, not a criminal one.
    - Decriminilisation would be the way forward, not legalisation.
    - Often the people involved are fathers, sons, brothers who have no education or place in meaningful work and turn towards drug dealing to provide. And to use one of their analogies, "if you work in a doughnut shop you're going to get fat."
    - US police departments are rewarded for their number of arrests, no matter the quality or whether they stand up in court.
    - This means that in for example Baltimore, policemen are rewarded more so for making 60 crap arrests a month (and corner boys are an easy one), rather than say 3 which involve actual police work.
    - These people have been promoted rather than the more stringent detective. This now means many people in higher places don't have a clue, whilst clearance rates for major crimes has gone from 70-90% to 20-40%.
    - As mentioned, the US has more people in prison than any other. New ones are being built, franchised, put on the stock market and are money making machines.
    - In a population of 100'000 people, 300 incarcerated acts as a crime deterrent. Go beyond that and all it does is perpetuate crime. USA has over 700 in prison per 100'000.
    - No one with a criminal record, no matter how petty, can vote. With such a high percentage in the inner cities in this position, they are forgotten about as politics is more so about votes and money.
    - In New York, every 45 seconds someone is stopped and searched. Not only are 90% of these are non-white, but the act itself is unconstitutional.
    - "Follow the money." An audience member pointed out that in the UK, whilst dealers are targeted these are only replaced. The problem is in fact in rich white crime families who import the drugs and are untouchable due to their lawyers.
    - South American countries are uniting and promoting a radical change where trade is controlled. Whilst we are the biggest consumers, it is their countries being torn apart. Previously, the US has just thrown more money at them to 'continue fighting the war'.
    - Addiction is emerging also as a white problem. With the decline of working class America (say, Season 2), more are being dragged towards dealing or drugs, especially with meth around. This maaay make people take a little more notice.
    - People will always take drugs. Baltimore is looking worse than it ever has. Drugs are more pure, more readily available and better value than they ever have been. The war has been lost.

So it was a one-sided affair, but a lot of things were said that it's very hard to argue with. I'm definitely going to have to watch the two films too. The House I Live in is a documentary in inner city America, and Cocaine Unwrapped traces cocaine from its source as a humble leaf apparently good for altitude sickness, to the corners of America.
  • Options
    As a man who has never taken an illegal drug in his life (increasingly a rarity these days) I can honestly state that decriminalising all drugs seems to me to be the only sensible route. I'm aware that this would lead to other problems, but it would certainly cut out the collateral damage done to places like Colombia and Mexico, almost wholly eradicate street crime related to drugs in major cities, make it easier to control strength and contamination of substances and save a shitload of public money fighting a phony war that can't be won.
  • Options
    But wouldn't the criminals just turn to some other illegal activity ? Prostitution, protection or whatever.
    They would struggle to get a job.
  • Options
    The massive profits in illegal drugs have funded criminal organisations and incentivised violence in a way that exceeds other activities.
  • Options
    I think most academic and educated opinion leans towards decriminalisation. But I can't see it happening in any of our lifetimes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

But wouldn't the criminals just turn to some other illegal activity ? Prostitution, protection or whatever.
    They would struggle to get a job.

they already "do" those things and they pale completely into insignificance next to the money they make selling drugs. It's also easier, a bag of weed/heroin doesnt fight back, or if it does, you gotta stop getting high off your own supply.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I think most academic and educated opinion leans towards decriminalisation. But I can't see it happening in any of our lifetimes.

It's been going on in Portugal for a while and has been relatively successful, certainly no worse than what was happening before: http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/evaluating-drug-decriminalization-in-portugal-12-years-later-a-891060.html

Hopefully more countries will eventually follow suit, though I expect we'll be near the back of the queue if so.