Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Wire

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Snoop, got arrested (again) a couple of weeks ago:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/03/11/felicia-pearson-snoop-on-the-wire-arrested/

would ya?
  • Options
    I was more shocked to find out that Snoop was a girl than I was finding out Idris Elba was a Brit (obviously that was before he starred in Luther).

'You mean Clockers, rather than Homicide & The Corner?'

Clockers was by Richard Price, who wrote episodes of The Wire (and had a cameo as the English literature professor in the prison in Season Two), and is another writer I admire greatly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: hawksmoor[/cite]I was more shocked to find out that Snoop was a girl than I was finding out Idris Elba was a Brit (obviously that was before he starred in Luther).

'You mean Clockers, rather than Homicide & The Corner?'

Clockers was by Richard Price, who wrote episodes of The Wire (and had a cameo as the English literature professor in the prison in Season Two), and is another writer I admire greatly.

Clockers was the book that set David Simon off with the idea originally though wasn't it? I thought that because so much of what's in the Clockers was then replicated in The Wire, even with passages almost being directly quoted.

& then came the corner (amazing book, wouldn't want to spoil it for people) and Homicide. All fantastic reads.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    'Clockers was the book that set David Simon off with the idea originally though wasn't it? I thought that because so much of what's in the Clockers was then replicated in The Wire, even with passages almost being directly quoted'

You're quite right, mate; the first series especially was very reminiscent of Clockers. In fact, Simon's admitted asking permission of Price to lift one scene entirely from Clockers (the book): the scene outside the cinema where Herk and Carver and their wives bump into Bodie and his crew and Bodie says something like, 'I didn't know you guys actually went to the cinema.' I think the scene where Herk asks the kid where he can get one of those baseball caps that go sideways may have been from Clockers too.

I recently went on a Richard Price re-read jag: The Wanderers, Ladies Man, The Breaks, Blood Brothers, Clockers, Samaritan, Freedom Land, Lush Life. Heartily recommend him. I didn't rate Clockers as a film, though.
  • Options
    Tried watching it, watched about 4 episodes, but I reckon it need subtitles sometimes, that might be more to do with me than them though...pardon!!
  • Options
    I watched all five series with subtitles, mate. I think it's a given.
  • Options
    One of my favourite comedians Jon Richardson (he currently appears on Stand Up for the Week) has a routine about The Wire. Says it is a properl single mans programme that is impossible to watch of you are in a relationship as is so addictive and there are so many episodes to get through- apparantly no one in a couple has ever watched all 5 seasons- FACT!.

Not sure if it is correct but seems to be a very popular show. Have Season 1 somewhere so will probably get round to watching it at some point.
  • Options
    Well that fact is incorrect as I watched it all the way through with my other half and we were both addicted.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: hawksmoor[/cite]PS....look out for a guest appearance by Ashley Young :-)

You must be talking about Marlo, mate. Spitting image of Ashley Young.

Scarily close resemblance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone else think that Snoop looks like Hope Powell?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]One of my favourite comedians Jon Richardson (he currently appears on Stand Up for the Week) has a routine about The Wire. Says it is a properl single mans programme that is impossible to watch of you are in a relationship as is so addictive and there are so many episodes to get through- apparantly no one in a couple has ever watched all 5 seasons- FACT!.

Not sure if it is correct but seems to be a very popular show. Have Season 1 somewhere so will probably get round to watching it at some point.

Me & Mrs Oakster are ploughing our way through the US Office at the moment, had never watched it & had never remotely been interested, but caught an episode one night & became hooked. It is so close to the bone in terms of North American work culture! Love it......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Well that fact is incorrect as I watched it all the way through with my other half and we were both addicted.

Ditto
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I watched it entirely on my own. My missus insists it is incredibly violent and is put off by the bad language. I've pointed out to her that it's not incredibly violent and that it's the greatest series in the history of television, indeed it's Shakespearean in scope, and that it's strange that she's offended by swearing yet actually laughed during a scene of female ejaculation in Sex And The City! Now, if THAT scene had been in The Wire, she'd call me disgusting for watching it. Women, eh!
  • Options
    Has anyone watched the Corner (precursor to the Wire based on a true story). Although, like the Wire it's in no way glamorous, one thing that struck me was at the end how much less photogenic the "real life" people were than the actors portraying them. Even such a gritty show they use prettier than reality people.

The main lad in it actually shows up in the Wire as (the rather ridiculous) Brother Mouzone's driver who has to reluctantly scour gay bars for Omar.
  • Options
    Yeah, I watched the Corner, it's not on the same level as the Wire but it's very, very good. I think they would have been pushed to find actors as ugly as the people the show was based on.
  • Options
    I made a thread on Treme, the new series by the creators of The Wire and Generation Kill about a week ago. Fans of those shows should check it out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Has anyone watched the Corner (precursor to the Wire based on a true story). Although, like the Wire it's in no way glamorous, one thing that struck me was at the end how much less photogenic the "real life" people were than the actors portraying them. Even such a gritty show they use prettier than reality people.

The main lad in it actually shows up in the Wire as (the rather ridiculous) Brother Mouzone's driver who has to reluctantly scour gay bars for Omar.

Do not at all watch the corner before reading the book. The mini series doesn't do the book any justice whatsoever.
  • Options
    Agree with that, Lion. I think the miniseries of The Corner, while very good, is of most interest because of its status as a dry run for The Wire, and the crossover of some of the actors between the two series. I thought the conceit of having the director, Charles S Dutton, interact with the characters at the beginning, as though he was shooting a fly-on-the-wall documentary, didn't quite work because it was quickly dropped and the show resorted to the more conventional narrative format. Despite those reservations, I would still recommend it for completist fans of The Wire who haven't seen it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: hawksmoor[/cite]Agree with that, Lion. I think the miniseries of The Corner, while very good, is of most interest because of its status as a dry run for The Wire, and the crossover of some of the actors between the two series. I thought the conceit of having the director, Charles S Dutton, interact with the characters at the beginning, as though he was shooting a fly-on-the-wall documentary, didn't quite work because it was quickly dropped and the show resorted to the more conventional narrative format. Despite those reservations, I would still recommend it for completist fans of The Wire who haven't seen it.

Only after reading the book though...then spend time researching everything you read, about the kids centre, about the young girl dying, about the "characters" and even use Google Streetview to look at the very streets mentioned...sad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just got up baby feeding and noticed the corner is on FX at 02.20 by the looks of it starting from episode 1 , dare say it's repeated a few times
  • Options
    Omar comin'
    2cn8315.gif
  • Options
    starting on April 6th at 10pm on FX from episode 1 and to be shown weekly

trouble is I think the HD might not be widescreen which is how the corner is shown
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Just bashed through seasons 1-4 in about three weeks. Great programme. Not as good as Dexter, but still pretty damn good. Season 2 was brilliant - but season 4 was devastating - the performances those kids gave were outstanding.

Oh, and the Bunk might have the best voice of a TV character ever.
  • Options

Just bashed through seasons 1-4 in about three weeks. Great programme. Not as good as Dexter, but still pretty damn good. Season 2 was brilliant - but season 4 was devastating - the performances those kids gave were outstanding.

Oh, and the Bunk might have the best voice of a TV character ever.

wait until you've finished it. Then you can step back and truly realise what a masterpiece of television it is.
  • Options
    Once you finish watching it you'll feel like there is a hole in your life.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    buckshee said:

Agreed. Although Southland has been filling the hole for me in recent years.
    Dare I say it's slightly better than the mighty wire!

• Options
    Love it. This program ruined TV for me. Season 5 was mediocre compared to the others but it definitely did leave a hole in my life, and since then any drama I watch automatically gets compared to it. Only The Sopranos and Breaking Bad have come fairly close for me but they don't go as deep or have the same emotional impact.

I'd say season 2 is my favourite, though 4 has my favourite ending whilst 1 and 3 are brilliant in their own ways. I do like a goods drunken discussion about favourite character too, am still not 100% sure.

I'd link it but am at work, anyone a fan look up 'the wire musical' on Youtube for an amusing look back.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Love it. This program ruined TV for me. Season 5 was mediocre compared to the others but it definitely did leave a hole in my life, and since then any drama I watch automatically gets compared to it. Only The Sopranos and Breaking Bad have come fairly close for me but they don't go as deep or have the same emotional impact.

I'd say season 2 is my favourite, though 4 has my favourite ending whilst 1 and 3 are brilliant in their own ways. I do like a goods drunken discussion about favourite character too, am still not 100% sure.

I'd link it but am at work, anyone a fan look up 'the wire musical' on Youtube for an amusing look back.

I usually say Bubble - when he stood up near the end and spoke about his sobriety i cried mate.

But you cant discount Clay, Omar or Snoop. Then again i liked Rawls

My god i need to go and watch the whole thing again
  • Options

buckshee said:

Agreed. Although Southland has been filling the hole for me in recent years.
    Dare I say it's slightly better than the mighty wire!

That is on my watch list as soon as I get through every other series I have to watch.