Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Wire

Comments

• Options
    Highest to lowest; 3,1,4,2,5
  • Options
    Only watched a few episodes & was completely underwelmed overhyped programme by people on here for me, won't listen to you lot again.
  • Options
    You stick to Katie & Peter Kets.
  • Options
    Rawls does indeed. It was just brilliant that that was never ever referred to again. Me and the gf rewinding that scene several times, going "Was that...?" "Hold on, did you see..?"

Kept waiting for the storyline to suddenly come to the front, but writers just seemed to go "Nah. Tricked you."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]You stick to Katie & Peter Kets.

LOL
  • Options
    Gutted missed the last episode, and frickin HBO wouldnt give BBC Iplayer rights to replay it online through week

Will just have to get the box set of all series though, compulsive viewing, even at the shit time of 1120-0020, probably the best series iv seen on TV absolutely absorbing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]Gutted missed the last episode, and frickin HBO wouldnt give BBC Iplayer rights to replay it online through week

Will just have to get the box set of all series though, compulsive viewing, even at the shit time of 1120-0020, probably the best series iv seen on TV absolutely absorbing

what episode of what season did you miss?
  • Options
    JVL check out GF Newman's Law and Order and Robert Mitchum's early 70's The Friend's of Eddie Coyle; film is good but the book of the same name by GV Higgins is about the best crime novel I've ever read; it obvioulsy influenced some of Elmore Leonard's books which have tenth rate dialogue compared to Higgins.

In the third series when Brother Mouzone's sidekick Lamar is forced to go into gay bars looking for Omar, one of the shots as he leaves pans round to Rawls at the bar. That's what's great about GF Newman's Law and Order and the Wire, there's so much shit going on in the background - loads of other strands of narratives. And that's why I reckon the second series is the best for making and creating a hella of a lot more potential narratives.
  • Options
    is easily the best thing i have honestly ever seen on tv. I love how in the end they showed it how it is:

Omar being this mythical/mysterious figure who although was feared, dies at the hands of a child and in terms of the press/police not much is made of it.
    Bubbles gets out of it all only for Dukie to get stuck into it, Michael replicates Omar's actions (clearly has a moral standing) when sticking up Marlo's bank
    Slim Charles forming the void left by Marlo by meeting the greeks
    Sydnor going around the chain of command as Mcnulty did way back in season 1

I doubt i'll ever see anything as good/realistic on tv again
  • Options
    Radzinksy. And Michael seemingly taking up the Omar role as well as an outcast/outlaw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    gonna be shown again in HD on FX from april apparently

I will watch it all over again no doubt
  • Options
    I might end up doing the same - a quality programme.
  • Options
    I have never seen an episode , whats the basic plot line without giving too much away , and what is it about it that you like , the characters? the plots , is it similar to any other programmes?
  • Options
    Its an insight into Baltimore with a central theme of the drug trade. Looks at the police, the docks, politics, the media and schools.

Cant recommend it highly enough.
  • Options
    Is it set in modern day , the past or the future?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, modern day (well maybe 7 years ago or something). A few of the actors are actual dealers etc - loads of research by the writer who lived and worked there.
  • Options
    ok cheers
  • Options
    Two main characters were Brits, but you'd never have noticed.
  • Options
    Don't get me started on The Wire. I'm still absolutely obsessive about it. IMHO the greatest TV drama ever.
  • Options
    Borrowed the brother-in-laws box sets last year, all series, awesome show, cant recommend it enough.

PS....look out for a guest appearance by Ashley Young :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I prefer a flan.

Jokes. Makes me sad to know that I will neves experience a tv show this good ever again. Unless I watch it again, that is.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Makes me sad to know that I will neves experience a tv show this good ever again. Unless I watch it again, that is.

Feel the same way about the Sopranos. Not watched a single episode of The Wire but I certainly believe the hype and am looking forward to watching it from the start.

Hopefully FX will broadcast it weekly rather than nightly, as the BBC did recently.
  • Options
    Best television series ever created.

Watching it again in HD is tempting...
  • Options
    Agree with all the praise. Far and away the best drama series I've ever seen. Trouble is that people reading this might expect it to be immediately engaging. But it takes a few episodes before it really gets its claws in to you.
  • Options
    Tru dat.
  • Options
    PS....look out for a guest appearance by Ashley Young :-)

You must be talking about Marlo, mate. Spitting image of Ashley Young.
  • Options
    THEY JUMP THE 5
  • Options
    I am reading the book it was based on at the moment, then going to dive into the TV series :)
  • Options
    I've read that book (Homicide) plus The Corner, which David Simon adapted into a mini-series before The Wire. Well worth tracking down, plus there are some actors who would later go on to star in The Wire.

For fans of The Wire this Victorian Wire spoof website is worth a look. Very funny and the 'book reproductions' have been painstakingly done. It's all the more funny because the 'book excerpt' describes a scene which is my favourite from the first series (the one with that particular swear word repeated by Bunk and McNulty again and again at a crime scene):
    http://hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/03/when-its-not-your-turn-the-quintessentially-victorian-vision-of-ogdens-the-wire/
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I am reading the book it was based on at the moment, then going to dive into the TV series :)

You mean Clockers, rather than Homicide & The Corner?

The Wire is the sheeeeeeeeeeeeet.