Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Wire

Comments

• Options
    The best TV drama ever. Yes, season 5 was disappointing, and David Simon admitted he had less episodes to work with, so the storyline did seem kind of rushed, with McNulty and Lester acting completely out of character, but taken as a whole, The Wire is incredible. And yes, there was a big Wire-shaped hole in my life when I finished it.
  • Options
    season 2 was my least favourite. Boring and who really cares about the unions on some docks? Sure it was about the death of the white working man in baltimore, but apart from that i found it all pretty boring.

Season 3 and 4 is the best, season 5 is mediocre but i think the final episode bumps up the entire series and is on par with the best of season 3 and 4
  • Options
    A lot of people had a problem with season two, as it's kind of the odd one out, but I really enjoyed it. That said, seasons three and four, for me, are the stand outs.
  • Options
    read the books Homicide and The Corner . Huge books and all true. The story lines are a mixture of real life incidents and parts of the true life characters from these.

• Options

read the books Homicide and The Corner . Huge books and all true. The story lines are a mixture of real life incidents and parts of the true life characters from these.

Reading the corner now. Good but very depressing. Would love to send the wanna be rudeboy gangstas from south london over there for a day to show them that London isnt as "ghetto" as they like to kid themselves.
  • Options
    It may have been said on here before, but the mini-series of The Corner is well worth tracking down, featuring several later cast members of The Wire.
  • Options
    it took me quite a lot of perseverance but glad I stuck at it, very series and plenty to watch, great.
  • Options
    Did anyone watch this Monday night on BBC 4?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/nov/22/the-house-i-live-in-review

Got it recorded, interviews David Simon and is an actual look at what the Wire represented, America's drug war.

Recently read the Wire book, goes through episode by episode, made me realise what a gem the 2nd series actually is. Can't replace the characters of Marlo, Avon, String, Bunk, Wee Bay etc but as a series it's pretty good.

Just got the 7 or seasons of Homicide, so that's gotta be watched soon.
  • Options

Did anyone watch this Monday night on BBC 4?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/nov/22/the-house-i-live-in-review

Got it recorded, interviews David Simon and is an actual look at what the Wire represented, America's drug war.

Recently read the Wire book, goes through episode by episode, made me realise what a gem the 2nd series actually is. Can't replace the characters of Marlo, Avon, String, Bunk, Wee Bay etc but as a series it's pretty good.

Just got the 7 or seasons of Homicide, so that's gotta be watched soon.

How boring!?
    I mean really?
    Mate, Stick to the blackburn thread please.
  • Options
    Homicide as a series isn't great to be honest. Watchable but fairly typical TV, I think David Simon's hands were tied with what he could do. Keep an eye out for the episode with Robin Williams though, very good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm sure I remember that Robin Williams episode won an Emmy.
  • Options
    Not going to say too much but it is a very different Robin Williams you see.

The book is brilliant, preferred that to The Corner to be honest.
  • Options
    Love The Wire. Currently watching it from S1-S5 for the third time and i still see things that i missed the times before (Rawls in the gay bar).

Breaking Bad is the only series that has come close for me, but then again i havn´t seen The Sopranos. Favourite Season of the wire is season 3. Like the whole hamsterdam thing and the inclination into the politics of running a pòlice department. Great TV.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Homicide as a series isn't great to be honest. Watchable but fairly typical TV, I think David Simon's hands were tied with what he could do. Keep an eye out for the episode with Robin Williams though, very good.

Most reviews seem to rate it, quite old now though & I know it won't be the quality of the Wire, but better than most stuff.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Love The Wire. Currently watching it from S1-S5 for the third time and i still see things that i missed the times before (Rawls in the gay bar).

Breaking Bad is the only series that has come close for me, but then again i havn´t seen The Sopranos. Favourite Season of the wire is season 3. Like the whole hamsterdam thing and the inclination into the politics of running a pòlice department. Great TV.

Yeah - I spotted that. Also chuckled at the graffiti in the episode where Landsman gets puked on by Bubbles: "Rawls sucks cock" - Landsman's reaction to that is priceless.

• Options
    Remember the books are written over a year on the "corners" and a year in Baltimore Homicide dept.

Mcnulty is a sargent on one of the shifts in real life

Bunk is a term for a comrade within the department (not a person)

Bubbles is a real person whose life is as bad in real life in the Corner

The actors within the series are top notch some of those kids stunning.

The gay gangsta who robs the drug pushers is my favorite even how he dies is very well done
  • Options

The gay gangsta who robs the drug pushers is my favorite even how he dies is very well done

Omar is one of the greatest anti heroes in tv history
  • Options
    Was riveted by series 1&2 brilliant TV.....series 3 lacks punch, Im on about episode 9, but his one has dragged a little. Love the characters, actually felt sorry for D'Angelo and later his Mum. Omar is something else....brilliant acting and such a likeable anti hero type. I have to say Ive enjoyed watching it immensely so far.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Was riveted by series 1&2 brilliant TV.....series 3 lacks punch, Im on about episode 9, but his one has dragged a little. Love the characters, actually felt sorry for D'Angelo and later his Mum. Omar is something else....brilliant acting and such a likeable anti hero type. I have to say Ive enjoyed watching it immensely so far.

Just wait to the finale... Series 3 was my favourite actually.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I watched series 1-4 back to back about a year ago. I did start of series 5 but I think I had just watched too many of them too quickly. I never did go back and water the last series. Based on what I've read on here I'm not sure I'l bother now.
  • Options
    Series four is awesome. Duquan, Namond and Michael are brilliant - but Randy's character and acting are something else. The scene at the end where he's getting bashed up in the group home almost had me in tears. the reactions of Carver, McNulty and Colvin to the futility of everything they're trying to do are another highlight of that series.
  • Options
    Yep the 4th season is my favourite. The 5th is the weakest but still head and shoulders above most shows.
  • Options

I watched series 1-4 back to back about a year ago. I did start of series 5 but I think I had just watched too many of them too quickly. I never did go back and water the last series. Based on what I've read on here I'm not sure I'l bother now.

I'd say the 2nd is the weakest closely followed by the 5th, but you have got to watch it. The wire is very much like a novel, you won't get the full picture until you've watched it all
  • Options
    Bagpuss said:
    RIP

AVON BARKSDALE "Ayo what's up playboy? How come you wearin' that suit, B? For real its 85 fuckin' degrees out here and you try'na be like fuckin' Pat Riley"

PROPOSITION JOE "Look the part, be the part, motherfucker."
  • Options
    For me second is best, it ties in the rust ports/old america/unionism/immigrants/drug connections/property boom. It's the story that has the greatest scope, which takes all the characters past some ill educated project cycle of violence. Series 5 is clearly the worst, especially when things become really fanciful: still some great stuff.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed The Wire when I watched it a few years ago and know that feeling at the end of the 5th series that it would take something special to match the drama. Have just finished season 4 of Sons of Anarchy which had a similar appeal to me and have only just got over the withdrawal symptoms while I wait to get my hands on season 5. In the meantime I have just started Breaking Bad and if the first episode is anything to go by then this could be keep me entertained whilst waiting for SOA 5. Just goes to show that there is more to TV than reality shows and cookery programmes.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

I really enjoyed The Wire when I watched it a few years ago and know that feeling at the end of the 5th series that it would take something special to match the drama. Have just finished season 4 of Sons of Anarchy which had a similar appeal to me and have only just got over the withdrawal symptoms while I wait to get my hands on season 5. In the meantime I have just started Breaking Bad and if the first episode is anything to go by then this could be keep me entertained whilst waiting for SOA 5. Just goes to show that there is more to TV than reality shows and cookery programmes.

Amen. Though sad to see that almost all my favourite TV shows of the past ten years have been American :(
  • Options
    Any thoughts on Jericho? got the box set to watch still