Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The best Curry in South East London?

Comments

• Options
    Going to Indian Essence in Petts Wood for first time tonight (Coral wedding anniversary)

Expensive but meant to be very good.
    Worth it really. Hope you enjoyed it!

The Indian shop next door is really good too if you want to make your own. 

I find that pretty much all Indian restaurants are inconsistent. You’ll get a good curry one week and then someone else makes it the next time and it’s terrible. 

This is undoubtedly the case. A change in chef can change the quality completely. 

I have also found that at so many Indian restaurants you have one dish and it is unbelievable, whereas another dish is absolutely awful. 
  • Options
    You think they would use their curry flavour to curry favour. 
  • Options
    It was expensive but it was very good. Certainly not a standard High St Indian

Not sure I'd rush back for an ordinary meal but maybe not drink Chablis!

The spicy kir royale was something new.

Lamb Nihari was tasty and the meat fell off the bone.
  • Options
    Looking to book a curry house on a Saturday night after a Charlton home game. Any good ones still open in the local area, ideally quite close to a train or tube station. Thanks.
    It's a pity they just offer takeaway, because the curry you get from The Charlton Takeaway in Wellington Gardens has always been very hard to beat. I have been eating curry regularly since the 1970's and still like to visit old places as well as try new ones. However, when I want a properly spiced curry with freshly cut spices, The Charlton Takeaway never disappoints. We had another great meal from there last night.
  • Options
    Curry is my favourite food by far and had somewhat led me and my mate on a spice inspired pilgrimage. We systematically tried most (very nearly all) curry houses in a 5 mile radius.

This intensive research led me to the greatest curry house you’ve never heard of. If you like curry, you have the visit The Jasmine in Bexleyheath. It looks a little run down but it’s the best food I’ve ever had.
    Currently has a food hygiene rating of 1 although this was last inspected las August so may have improved now
  • Options
    When I lived in Spitalfields used to eat once a Week in the Shampan in Brick Lane until we saw it in one of the those Rogue Restaurants programmes on tv where they expose dodgy health and safety breaches. 

Loved that place !  
  • Options
    Went to the Jugaad Kitchen in Park View Rd after the Welling game yesterday. Has more of a cafe rather than restaurant feel about and not your standard Indian menu with lots of dishes I’d never heard of. Food was lovely and one of the nicest naans I’ve had for a long time.
  • Options
    @SouthWest_Addicks - Royal Nepalese in Westcombe Park, right next to the station, is my local curry house (well, Coriander is closer but not as good IMO)... You won't go wrong in there at all...
  • Options
    A few years since I lived in SE London, but loved the place in Blackheath that had Terry Waite and Mickey Skinner specials on the menu...
    Wasn’t it called the Sopna?

The joke was that the Terry Waite special was bread and water.

(For those who don’t know, he was a hostage in Beirut for quite a while)
  • Options
    Going to Indian Essence in Petts Wood for first time tonight (Coral wedding anniversary)

I find that pretty much all Indian restaurants are inconsistent. You’ll get a good curry one week and then someone else makes it the next time and it’s terrible. 

We liked it but as veggies the menu is a little limited compared with other restaurants these days. Not cheap if you have a few drinks but a nice twist on Indian food.
    We also use the Indian shop in the same row. Some tasty stuff there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A few years since I lived in SE London, but loved the place in Blackheath that had Terry Waite and Mickey Skinner specials on the menu...

I think you are right - was very nice!
  • Options

The 'Mickey Skinner' was a whole chicken cooked and served in a tupperware box packed with rice and veg. I used to love that on occasions. 
  • Options

We liked it but as veggies the menu is a little limited compared with other restaurants these days. Not cheap if you have a few drinks but a nice twist on Indian food.
    If you live in that area then I'd recommend Masala Dabas on Orpington High St for veggie options. My cousin and his girlfriend came to mine a few months ago and she is vegan and ordered from here. 
    Id never heard of it but was really impressed with her choices after tasting them all. 

• Options

If you live in that area then I'd recommend Masala Dabas on Orpington High St for veggie options. My cousin and his girlfriend came to mine a few months ago and she is vegan and ordered from here. 
    Id never heard of it but was really impressed with her choices after tasting them all. 

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. My wife and I, if it’s just the 2 of us fancying a curry takeaway, we normally order from the Mumbai Kitchen in  Homesdale Rd. 
    I actually live just off Locksbottom village, which is good for food and drink but has no Indian nowadays, a nice one packed up during lockdown and is now a nice pizza restaurant. Staggering distance for and drink is a great asset to have. 
  • Options

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. My wife and I, if it’s just the 2 of us fancying a curry takeaway, we normally order from the Mumbai Kitchen in  Homesdale Rd. 
    I actually live just off Locksbottom village, which is good for food and drink but has no Indian nowadays, a nice one packed up during lockdown and is now a nice pizza restaurant. Staggering distance for and drink is a great asset to have. 
    Try the Bombay in green street green. 
    Not that far from you mate. 
  • Options
    Looking to book a curry house on a Saturday night after a Charlton home game. Any good ones still open in the local area, ideally quite close to a train or tube station. Thanks.
    Had a really nice meal at Mountain View on Trafalgar Road, about 5 minutes walk from Maze Hill station 

• Options

Indigo, locks used to be very good
  • Options

It was when it first opened but I thought it went a bit down hill after a few years. 
    Its been replaced with a Turkish restaurant, Istanbul grill. That’s quite nice so is the Bank, only 2 doors apart.  
  • Options

We used to go there about 20 years ago. It was a good one then but we haven’t been there recently. 
  • Options

It was when it first opened but I thought it went a bit down hill after a few years. 
    Its been replaced with a Turkish restaurant, Istanbul grill. That’s quite nice so is the Bank, only 2 doors apart.  
    Yeah last time I went was 2008 ish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021

Have been in the Green Spice in Green Street Green. 😋
  • Options
    Madhuwan on Bromley Hill is pretty decent
  • Options

Have been in the Green Spice in Green Street Green. 😋
    https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/15481997.green-spice-in-green-street-green-road-dartford-kept-onion-bhajis-in-a-laundry-basket-and-was-told-to-improve-by-food-hygiene-inspectors/

Errr no thanks 
  • Options
    any recomendations for tooting area? thanks in advance
    Lahore karai. Heard dewat is good as well. 

I drive up to lahor kebab house on commercial road for takeaway. Easy journey if no traffic. Cant beat it. Lamb chops ooosh. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Ganapati. Holly Grove, Peckham Rye.

No 'Indlish' dishes on show. Proper South Indian food.

https://www.ganapatirestaurant.com/menu.html

• Options
    There are 2 I would recommend depending on your appetite for something different. The Jasmine in Bexleyheath does some fantastic and inspired food. Fillet steak on a bed of curry, or maybe try their curryzone. 

Another would be shampan, you have S2 in chatterton Road, Bromley or S3 in falconwood. Both fantastic Indian restaurants 👌 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
  • Options
    Shampan in Falconwood … truly superb food 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    stonemuse said:
    Shampan in Falconwood … truly superb food

Agreed - though they charged me £3 for a soda water 
  • Options
    eastern curry in welling is excellent both eaten in and takeaway