Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The best Curry in South East London?

Comments

• Any good ones in Greenwich/North Greenwich/Canary Wharf?

Spice Merchants at CW is decent..!!
  • Lane kitchen (takeaway) on swingate lane in plumstead is the best around and has amazing ratings on just eat
  • Star of India in Eltham, been going there for 35 years.
  • Best in Plumstead?
  • Trust me the curry at lane kitchen is amazing they only opened on plumstead coz that was the only affordable shop to let at the time its great food
  • Not wishing to put the kibosh on this, but this is a useful site.
    http://ratings.food.gov.uk/search-a-local-authority-area/en-GB/London

Tbf it’s regarding hygiene and not a taste test, but I note the Star of India requires major improvement, whereas the Lane kitchen is top rated at very good. Although the tests were carried out a year ago, I would guess that if you had a poor rating you’d be anxious to be re-evaluated

My local curry house (in deference to @Lookout) was recently rated as satisfactory, but more importantly it is within staggering distance of the pub and home.
  • We've never been impressed by takeaways from the Babur takeaway establishment, which is a few hundred yards north of the restaurant on the same road. We used to go to the Babur restaurant a lot but around 2008 or so the quality seemed to be slipping and we've not been back in quite a while. We think Yak and Yeti (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d2002800-Reviews-Yak_Yeti_Restaurant-London_England.html) in Crystal Palace is the place to go. In all the time we've been going there, which is around seven years, we've only ever had one naff dish, which was a boring fish curry. Their dal makhani is far and away the best example of this dish we've ever tasted. For a cheap takeaway, we recomment Namaste (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d4754531-Reviews-Namaste_London-London_England.html) in Sydenham.
  • Posted By: Valley_floyd_red
    The other one I would recommend would be Gurkhas in Sydenham High street.
    Me too.

(You local,ie SE26/23 ?).

@Miserableoldgit I'm SE26, tried them all in the area. Gurkhas is certainly decent, never had anything but nice food there, but Yak and Yeti at Crystal Palace is better.

Have you tried the new pizza place, bona, on Dartmouth Road? The pizzas are just as good as Franco Manca in Brixton and East Dulwich.

Tbf it’s regarding hygiene and not a taste test, but I note the Star of India requires major improvement, whereas the Lane kitchen is top rated at very good. Although the tests were carried out a year ago, I would guess that if you had a poor rating you’d be anxious to be re-evaluated

My local curry house (in deference to @Lookout) was recently rated as satisfactory, but more importantly it is within staggering distance of the pub and home.

Grim reading that. Stopped using the New Eltham Grill and started to use Kebab Ye at New Eltham Station.....only 1/5....think I'll switch back!
  • edited March 2016
    I dont know of the best as dont go to many out of my own area. Well in fact I don't use my two nearest local ones as they are crap.

But I did go to Yak And Yeti in Eltham last month and it was very very good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_It said:

I dont know of the best as dont go to many out of my own area. Well in fact I don't use my two nearest local ones as they are crap.

But I did go to Yak And Yeti in Eltham last month and it was very very good.

Yak and Yeti in Eltham is pretty good.

Plus - if you're going to lose a pub - my vote is to replace it with a curry house.
  • Spice Fusion in Crayford is good. Same owners as the British Raj but nicer restaurant. Jafflong in dartford has been transformed in recent years but is becoming a victim of its own succes and is too busy to be pleasant now. Fahims in Swanley gets a great rep from my golf club buddies. I've only tried it once so not got a firm opinion yet but it's promising.

Grim reading that. Stopped using the New Eltham Grill and started to use Kebab Ye at New Eltham Station.....only 1/5....think I'll switch back!
    Kebab Ye over NEG all day!
  • Viceroy in Charlton Village gets my vote.

NEG has gone steadily downhill since the heady days of late 90's/early 00's. But quality was still fairly high. Kebab Ye has started to go downhill pretty quickly, chilli sauce seemed to be a runny out of the bottle consistency.

NEG has gone steadily downhill since the heady days of late 90's/early 00's. But quality was still fairly high. Kebab Ye has started to go downhill pretty quickly, chilli sauce seemed to be a runny out of the bottle consistency.
    Kebab Ye are still on the honeymoon period since opening, see if they can last the test of time, but currently, a Chicken shish is doing it for me on a Friday night once I get off the train.
  • iainment said:

Best in Plumstead?

Spice island on Plumstead common.
  • Posted By: Valley_floyd_red
    The other one I would recommend would be Gurkhas in Sydenham High street.
    Me too.

(You local,ie SE26/23 ?).

@Miserableoldgit I'm SE26, tried them all in the area. Gurkhas is certainly decent, never had anything but nice food there, but Yak and Yeti at Crystal Palace is better.

Have you tried the new pizza place, bona, on Dartmouth Road? The pizzas are just as good as Franco Manca in Brixton and East Dulwich.

Do you remember the Jahangir, up by the Greyhound? One of the very best Indian/fusion restaurants I have ever been in.
  • Off_it said:

Riviera said:

Star of India in Eltham, been going there for 35 years.

So has this bloke, from page 1

Star of India, SE9. Been there since the very early 70's. Just brilliant. Picked up a Take-Away their last night about 8.30pm and the place was chocha!
    It has come on gone over the years but at the moment it is the best.

You know him?

Doubt he does D - the bloke on page one had been going at least six years less than Riv has...
  • Sponsored links:

• Spice island doesnt compare to lane kitchen im afraid and alot of mates ive spoke to say the same thing.
  • Ive tried the spice island 3 or 4 times and I doubt ill be going back again. Its not the best - it just doesn't taste fresh.

I've only tried Lane Kitchen once for at takeaway but everyone seemed to like it and will give it a go again.
  • edited March 2016

Off_it said:

Riviera said:

Star of India, SE9. Been there since the very early 70's. Just brilliant. Picked up a Take-Away their last night about 8.30pm and the place was chocha!

You know him?

Doubt he does D - the bloke on page one had been going at least six years less than Riv has...
    Ahhh, yes - fair point. My maths was a bit out there!

Edit: hang on a minute - hasn't he been going there for at least 6 years longer than Riviera? Your maths is just as crap as mine!
  • Jarman said:

iainment said:

Best in Plumstead?

Spice island on Plumstead common.
    Which I go to just because of convenience. The food is quite hit or miss there to my mind. Sometimes really bad and sometimes a bit better than ok. The waiters are nice and friendly though.
  • @The_President - I like the Royal Nepalese at Westcombe Park...

Like many have said here, unless you're going high end, most curry dishes tend to be much of a much-ness anyway IMHO...Mogul in Greenwich has a few 'different' dishes to be fair though.. I loev curry but am allergic to many of the spices so only have a curry about 3 times a year, as it takes me that long to forget the horrific after affects before I can face another one :-(
  • edited March 2016
    I seriously recommend the Jolpai in Mottingham/Eltham. It is opposite the Green BP petrol station on the roundabout. Absolute gem.

Cold beers, piping hot curries. Good value and nice decor!
  • Lane Kitchen is a takeaway only right?
  • Off_it said:

Riviera said:

You know him?

I think you will find they are the same person.

Am I right Mike?
  • Yes lane kitchen is take away only
  • Star of India in Eltham, been going there for 35 years.

Off_it said:

Riviera said:

You know him?

I think it could be the same bloke, if you read it properly it says the restaurant has been there since the very early 70's, not that he has been going there since then.

I thank you!