Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The best Curry in South East London?

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    cafc4life said:
    eastern curry in welling is excellent both eaten in and takeaway
    Must be good if you can eat it twice.
  • Options
    Cinnamon Culture in Chislehurst is very nice.

With an honourable nod to Babur Brasserie. 

If in London, Dishoom or Bombay Brasserie. 
  • Options
    Going to Indian Essence in Petts Wood for first time tonight (Coral wedding anniversary)

Expensive but meant to be very good.
    Worth it really. Hope you enjoyed it!

The Indian shop next door is really good too if you want to make your own. 

I find that pretty much all Indian restaurants are inconsistent. You’ll get a good curry one week and then someone else makes it the next time and it’s terrible. 

We liked it but as veggies the menu is a little limited compared with other restaurants these days. Not cheap if you have a few drinks but a nice twist on Indian food.
    We also use the Indian shop in the same row. Some tasty stuff there. 
    If you live in that area then I'd recommend Masala Dabas on Orpington High St for veggie options. My cousin and his girlfriend came to mine a few months ago and she is vegan and ordered from here. 
    Id never heard of it but was really impressed with her choices after tasting them all. 

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. My wife and I, if it’s just the 2 of us fancying a curry takeaway, we normally order from the Mumbai Kitchen in  Homesdale Rd. 
    I actually live just off Locksbottom village, which is good for food and drink but has no Indian nowadays, a nice one packed up during lockdown and is now a nice pizza restaurant. Staggering distance for and drink is a great asset to have. 
    Try the Bombay in green street green. 
    Not that far from you mate. 
    It’s nice but not the best one IMO. I prefer the Dakshin in Downe or Mumbai near the Polhill Garden centre.
  • Options
    tufail in gravesend 
  • Options
    According to South Londoner John Major, former PM, it's a discreet little Balti House called "Edwina".

• Options
    Thoughts on curry houses in and around Sidcup? Done Shampan, Moghul, Maharani but there are so many. 

Shampan probably the best for takeaway, Moghul for a sit down. 
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:
    Going to Indian Essence in Petts Wood for first time tonight (Coral wedding anniversary)

Expensive but meant to be very good.
    Worth it really. Hope you enjoyed it!

The Indian shop next door is really good too if you want to make your own. 

I find that pretty much all Indian restaurants are inconsistent. You’ll get a good curry one week and then someone else makes it the next time and it’s terrible. 

We liked it but as veggies the menu is a little limited compared with other restaurants these days. Not cheap if you have a few drinks but a nice twist on Indian food.
    We also use the Indian shop in the same row. Some tasty stuff there. 
    If you live in that area then I'd recommend Masala Dabas on Orpington High St for veggie options. My cousin and his girlfriend came to mine a few months ago and she is vegan and ordered from here. 
    Id never heard of it but was really impressed with her choices after tasting them all. 

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. My wife and I, if it’s just the 2 of us fancying a curry takeaway, we normally order from the Mumbai Kitchen in  Homesdale Rd. 
    I actually live just off Locksbottom village, which is good for food and drink but has no Indian nowadays, a nice one packed up during lockdown and is now a nice pizza restaurant. Staggering distance for and drink is a great asset to have. 
    Try the Bombay in green street green. 
    Not that far from you mate. 
    It’s nice but not the best one IMO. I prefer the Dakshin in Downe or Mumbai near the Polhill Garden centre.
    Good shout. 
    I'm lucky enough to have eaten at all three.
  • Options
    Thoughts on curry houses in and around Sidcup? Done Shampan, Moghul, Maharani but there are so many. 

Not exactly Sidcup, but Dawat (Blacken) takes some beating.
    Any restaurant that has been open for 30+ years has to have something going for it.
    Same can be said for Wellington Gardens (Charlton)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options

Curry Muhal always been very good. Not tried their new venture the other side of the station (Royal Kitchen). Food meant to be very good but don’t think they’ve fitted it out the best. Anyone ate there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Jalsha is decent by the post office and near the old swimming pool
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    cs1986 said:

I heard it had changed management recently? My favourite, Nagashori Chicken seems to have gone off the menu
  • Options
    Looks like we're probably better off listing curry houses to avoid! Spoilt for choice. 

I did have a really dissapointing tandoori mixed grill in Taste of Raj in Blackheath recently. Always used to be a favourite of mine which was a shame. 
  • Options

The Ruchi at Albany Park is pretty decent.
  • Options
    We went to the Mowgli, Charlotte Street a couple of weeks back.
    Apparently street food but I’d call it a mash up of someone’s ideas.
  • Options
    cs1986 said:

I heard it had changed management recently? My favourite, Chicken Naragosth seems to have gone off the menu
    Not sure mate I haven't been for a few months but last time I went it was all the same staff still in there.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Agree on Cinnamon Culture in Chislehurst.

Went there for the first time tonight,  food very good but bloody expensive. £70 a head with drinks for three courses!!
  • Options
    Does anyone have a view on the Maharajah in Bexley village - been there years, but I have never tried it
  • Options
    Does anyone have a view on the Maharajah in Bexley village - been there years, but I have never tried it
    Not been for a year or so but have always had a decent meal there. Prefer it to the Baltizer across the road.
  • Options
    Nothing special  although better than the Baltizar. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crap and overpriced I feel 
  • Options
    Remember going in the Maharajah with @DaveMehmet about 20 years ago at the end of a very boozy day (may have done an early start at the Anchor for an FA Cup game?) and one of our pals ordering ‘a f***ing pasanda’ 

happy days 
  • Options
    Remember going in the Maharajah with @DaveMehmet about 20 years ago at the end of a very boozy day (may have done an early start at the Anchor for an FA Cup game?) and one of our pals ordering ‘a f***ing pasanda’ 

happy days 
    It was probably longer than 20 ago years mate (sadly)!
  • Options
    There’s a Dishoom in Dulwich now. Hard to beat.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Huskaris said:

Agree on Cinnamon Culture in Chislehurst.

Went there for the first time tonight,  food very good but bloody expensive. £70 a head with drinks for three courses!!
    Haha we were there on Sunday too! And yeah, very pricey if you go for 3 courses, but I like to think it is worth it! Outside of Dishoom and Bombay Brasserie, I can't think of anywhere better. 
  • Options
    cazo said:
    tufail in gravesend 

I don't go many curry houses, so it's hard to directly compare it to another, but I enjoyed eating and drinking in that place. 

It is an expensive tasty dish 
  • Options
     Something that I find unfortunate is that chefs and cooks often move on or skip to another branch of the same group.
    You may remember a fantastic meal you had at a particular restaurant and go back there months or even years later (as I have done a fair few times), only to be very disappointed.
    Pub grub is particularly bad for this occurrence.