Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The best Curry in South East London?

Comments

• WayneK said:

For an everyday curry, The Jalsha in Sidcup. For something special, The Indian Essence in Petts Wood.
    The Bengal Lancer in Chislehurst can be dodgy. Tried to charge us for a bottle wine we didn't have and friends if ours had a mobile nicked.

Indian Essence & Bengal Lancer, niether favorites of mine for 2 different reasons;
    1st one not cheap 2nd one nowhere near as good as when it first opened.
    Five Indians in Petts Wood amongst about 15 resturants, certainly a place to go if you're feeling peckesh.

Had one at the Sanpan 2 the weekend, not bad at all.
    The best take away IMO is the Mumbi Kitchen, Homesdale Rd Bromley. Just does take ways only and you can see them cook it.
  • Ruchi at Albany park is still very good and reasonable on the pocket, and both Shapan and Falconwood Tandoori are recommended. In their case being only a few doors apart means you have to be good or your competitor is going to sink you .
  • Not quite SE London but head for Brick Lane! Aladdin at the top end is excellent! Always packed whilst the others seem to be half empty.
  • I would go for Saffron Club in Blackheath, an updated more contemporary curry, fresher and not in the one coloured slosh in a silver tray, you can taste the different ingredients . Try the BBQ platter as a starter. The Fish Curry is really good too.

For cheap I would say Darjeeling on Lee High road as mentioned by others here.

Other honourable mention goes to Gurkhas Flavour in Forest Hill, very good delivery service!
  • Aligor - 3 minute walk

or

Tayyabs - Up town
  • Not quite SE London but head for Brick Lane! Aladdin at the top end is excellent! Always packed whilst the others seem to be half empty.

Aladdin is the only option for me when in Brick lane.- love it!

Aligor - 3 minute walk

or

Tayyabs - Up town

place must be good, always a massive queue out the door!
  • Jarman said:

Not quite SE London but head for Brick Lane! Aladdin at the top end is excellent! Always packed whilst the others seem to be half empty.

Aligor - 3 minute walk

or

Tayyabs - Up town

I believe that's the queue for the bog.

• Jarman said:

Not quite SE London but head for Brick Lane! Aladdin at the top end is excellent! Always packed whilst the others seem to be half empty.

Aligor - 3 minute walk

or

Tayyabs - Up town

I believe that's the queue for the bog.

• Not seen it mentioned yet, but Curry Mahal in Sidcup, just up from the station has a very good name.
  • Anyone had one up the Khyber in Croydon? I'm thinking of giving it a try.
  • Sponsored links:

Grit your teeth.

I think they've all had one up the Khyber in Croydon.

best of luck with that one.
  • http://www.ganapatirestaurant.com/index.html

This place is Peckham is great. Been twice since discovering it in the summer.
  • Got a curry from mountain view in Greenwich the other night, was bloody good!
  • Not seen it mentioned yet, but Curry Mahal in Sidcup, just up from the station has a very good name.

What? "Curry Mahal"? What's so great about that?

Blimey, long old journey for a takeaway for you

Blimey, long old journey for a takeaway for you

Back home to see the family
  • We recently went to Shampan 3 in Welling (actually in Falconwood) on a Saturday night, we read really good reviews and the place has won numerous awards. The food was amazing, a little pricey, but well worth it! We had a great night. The only concern was the place was packed to the rafters and was noisy! But the food was outstanding! http://www.shampangroup.com/shampan-welling.html
  • sbj72 said:

We recently went to Shampan 3 in Welling (actually in Falconwood) on a Saturday night, we read really good reviews and the place has won numerous awards. The food was amazing, a little pricey, but well worth it! We had a great night. The only concern was the place was packed to the rafters and was noisy! But the food was outstanding! http://www.shampangroup.com/shampan-welling.html

Was the reason we tried Falconwood Tandoori up the same row of shops in the first place.

Both places very equal but prefer the FT now
  • Sponsored links:

What? "Curry Mahal"? What's so great about that?
    Been in there a couple of times. Not overly impressed.

• Jarman said:

Aligor - 3 minute walk

or

Tayyabs - Up town

I work less than 200 yards away from Tayyabs in Whitechapel. For god sake dont ever walk past it in the daytime as they dump all the previous days left overs in the skip bins outside and the road absolutely reeks!

Now you may not know but the family that own Tayyabs also own the Needo Grill, in the next road, New Road. The chefs and kitchen staff all interchange between the two. Both are very popular. However, neither are top of the tree around here. No.1 is the Lahore Kebab House in Commercial Road.

However, all three are head and shoulders above anything in Brick Lane.

Not seen it mentioned yet, but Curry Mahal in Sidcup, just up from the station has a very good name.

Is that literally opposite the road that the Alma is in? If so, been in there a couple of times and the food was good.

• Ones to avoid:

Ghandi Spice between Bexleyheath and Crayford. Had a lamb curry in there twice and I swear it wasnt actually lamb. The food is served far too quickly and you're left wondering if they cook it properly.

Bengal Spice in Welling. Worse than average at best and always empty.
  • Another to avoid now

Mahatma in Avery Hill

Used to enjoy a cheap curry in there but the other week the two waiters were sniffling everywhere, didn't listen to any food or drink orders, was putting his bow tie on and tucking himself in at the table whilst taking the order, when he dropped a Naan bread at the buffet and picked it up and put it in the food tray I paid for drinks and left.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Ones to avoid:

Ghandi Spice between Bexleyheath and Crayford. Had a lamb curry in there twice and I swear it wasnt actually lamb. The food is served far too quickly and you're left wondering if they cook it properly.

I use Ghandi Spice pretty much every week! :-)
  • Tried Needoos tonight, every bit as good as Tayyabs from what I remember of it, just slightly less crowded, no extensive desert menu and you don't have to burn your jacket at the end of the night
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Ones to avoid:

I use Ghandi Spice pretty much every week! :-)
    Can't belive that little place next to the old toilets is still going
  • Slightly off topic but had a marks and Spencer's chicken tikka jalfezi and it was the tdb to be honest
  • Chennai Dosa, London Rd, Croydon is great for something different and cheap. Mainly frequented by people of Indian origin and queues out of the door at times during the w/e. Cutlery can be sparse so make sure your hands are clean.
  • Chennai Dosa, London Rd, Croydon is great for something different and cheap. Mainly frequented by people of Indian origin and queues out of the door at times during the w/e. Cutlery can be sparse so make sure your hands are clean.

That's an interesting call Athletico, will have to give it a go as not far away from where I live in Wallington.

Whilst I'd never claim it as being the best curry house ever, certainly one of the best take away/deliveries I've had is from Blue Bengal in Carshalton. Never lets us down.