Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The best Curry in South East London?

Comments

• Options
    nichorob said:

Anyone tried the new place in the old police station on Chislehurst high street?

Mountain View. It moved across the road sometime back into what was Chows (lotus Inn as I remember it way back when)
    Anyway I liked the food in both locations.
    The police station is now an Italian, or it was last time I went there. Its had various different names and food types since the Met vacated it. Its a bit too big and noisy for me.
  • Options
    Ruchita, Avery Hill Road, SE9
  • Options

nichorob said:

Anyone tried the new place in the old police station on Chislehurst high street?

Mountain View. It moved across the road sometime back into what was Chows (lotus Inn as I remember it way back when)
    The police station is now an Italian, or it was last time I went there. Its had various different names and food types since the Met vacated it. Its a bit too big and noisy for me.
    Whats that one on royal parade called? Been to mountain view since this thread, very good.
  • Options
    Shampan (3) Welling (Falconwood), very nice and very convenient
  • Options
    razil said:

Shampan (3) Welling (Falconwood), very nice and very convenient

Live round the corner and went there a lot but prefer the Falconwood Tandoori now a few doors up
  • Options
    Never tried but mean to sometimr
  • Options
    Is pretty much on par if not better, horses for courses I suppose, just found the staff bit more welcoming.

We spent New Years eve in there one year with missus and kids and was really decent.
  • Options
    Babur.
  • Options
    nichorob said:

nichorob said:

Whats that one on royal parade called? Been to mountain view since this thread, very good.
    Bengal Lancer, I think.
  • Options
    Bengal Lancer Chislehurst best one about
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My girlfriend and I ordered a curry from Babur in Honor Oak/Brockley Rise. I ordered a King Prawn Bhuna, rice, indian mixed grill, pilau rice and lamb Dansak.

OMFG! What a curry! Has to be one of the tastiest, fresh and well prepared curries I've ever had.

Babur is Phenomenally good but does anyone else have other recommendations? I'm on a mission.
    Used to live in brockley rise
    Been 30 years or more since I was there
    Bet it's changed a bit

• Options
    edited October 2014
    My family in Eltham all like a good curry and for a while we've been alternating between Sampan Falconwood and the Yak and Yeti in the High Street. But they keep mentioning the Star of India too. Anybody with experience of all three care to rate them based on recent experience.

What I really dream about is a decent Indian restaurant near Eltham that offers India Pale Ale as an alternative to overpriced lager. Anyone who hasn't tried IPA with a curry, give a bottle a go with your next takeaway. Anyone know such a place?
  • Options

My family in Eltham all like a good curry and for a while we've been alternating between Sampan Falconwood and the Yak and Yeti in the High Street. But they keep mentioning the Star of India too. Anybody with experience of all three care to rate them based on recent experience.

What I really dream about is a decent Indian restaurant near Eltham that offers India Pale Ale as an alternative to overpriced lager. Anyone who hasn't tried IPA with a curry, give a bottle a go with your next takeaway. Anyone know such a place?

Star, Shapman, Yak.

Maharani better than all 3 though.
  • Options

Agree with this. I can't remember the name of it but the one a couple of doors along from The Crown in Blackheath Village is really good as well. Expensive but worth it.
  • Options

Agree with this. I can't remember the name of it but the one a couple of doors along from The Crown in Blackheath Village is really good as well. Expensive but worth it.
    That's the Saffron Club, and a pal of mine feasted there on Saturday night: sheek kebab as a starter, then a whole grilled and spiced trout with rice and a bowl of curry sauce, finished off with an Oirish coffee. Less than thirty quid, including tip. He said the food, service and ambience were all superb.

• Options
    For an everyday curry, The Jalsha in Sidcup. For something special, The Indian Essence in Petts Wood.
    The Bengal Lancer in Chislehurst can be dodgy. Tried to charge us for a bottle wine we didn't have and friends if ours had a mobile nicked.
  • Options
    Always liked Eltham Cafe...on Well Hall Road when I lived down the road from there (upto the end of 2005) is it still there?
  • Options
    Not in south-east London but my current favourite is the Apollo Banana Leaf in Tooting. Fantastic Sri Lankan/South Indian food at remarkably cheap prices - you'll do well to spend more than a tenner, partly because it's BYO
  • Options
    Spice island on Plumstead common is a cracking curry house.
    As is the spice master in Belvedere.
  • Options
    Star of India - Had an argument in there with the Manager when I was given half-cooked rice. "Thats the way its supposed to be...." was the oddest excuse I'd ever heard. Havent been back

Cafe Eltham in Well Hall used to be really good. Changed hands a few times and never rally matched the quality back in 2003

Yak is hit and miss.

Really like the Everest Inn in Blackheath. Really fresh food, and Good quality.

Had the pleasure of the London Bridge tandoori about two years ago. 3 of us all suffered next day, steer clear.

Always worth a look at the Food standards agency hygene rating......... http://ratings.food.gov.uk/, preferably before you eat there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dogpat65 said:

Star of India - Had an argument in there with the Manager when I was given half-cooked rice. "Thats the way its supposed to be...." was the oddest excuse I'd ever heard. Havent been back

Cafe Eltham in Well Hall used to be really good. Changed hands a few times and never rally matched the quality back in 2003

Yak is hit and miss.

Had the pleasure of the London Bridge tandoori about two years ago. 3 of us all suffered next day, steer clear.

Always worth a look at the Food standards agency hygene rating......... http://ratings.food.gov.uk/, preferably before you eat there

Mmm....thanks for the link. People might want to check the Viceroy in Charlton Village. It's got a 1 rating!!!
  • Options
    used to love the Cafe Raj near well hall roundabout when i lived in Eltham, now can't beat S3 in Falconwood for me.

Special mention to the Aligor in Bexleyheath who always look after us when we eat in there, all lads normally after 10.30 and pissed, wouldn't know if it was great or not, but it all tastes good after a few beers.
  • Options
    dogpat65 said:

Yak is hit and miss.

Always check that now myself and am surprised that some of the places that do the best food have pretty bad ratings. My local Kebab shop which I only frequent when bevved up on the way home after a night out has 5 stars.
  • Options
    Taste of Lewisham, in Lewisham suprisingly, is still our favourite. Since we moved down to Medway the only time we get a good non-homecooked curry is when we go back to Lewisham.
    I did have the mother in law over for three months recently which meant I had curry every day during that period. (healthy not full of ghee or cream)
    I wish someone in Medway would open a good South Indian/Sri Lankan. Every single one up here is the same. Banglasdeshis selling North Indian cuisine tailored for a British market. ie non Indian food made my non Indians.

Its a shame the place Jints mentioned is just too far from us.
  • Options

Taste of Lewisham, in Lewisham suprisingly, is still our favourite. Since we moved down to Medway the only time we get a good non-homecooked curry is when we go back to Lewisham.
    I did have the mother in law over for three months recently which meant I had curry every day during that period. (healthy not full of ghee or cream)
    I wish someone in Medway would open a good South Indian/Sri Lankan. Every single one up here is the same. Banglasdeshis selling North Indian cuisine tailored for a British market. ie non Indian food made my non Indians.

Crikey, medway must be bad.
    Considering the taste of Lewisham has a hygiene rating of.... 1.

• Options
    Good to read all these recommendations. Looks like I have a few venues to try out!
    From my family's perspective this is where we usually get curried up:

Takeaway - Grove Spice in Grove Park are excellent and we always use them. Not the fastest to deliver (good hour from putting the phone down) - but then again they take their time to do it well and it's worth the wait.
    Eat in - Bengal Lancer in Chislehurst and Shampan in Chatterton Road, Bromley are the two we have trusted over the years and not been let down by, so we tend to stick with them.

If you're willing to travel out of South East London for a not-so-cheap date, I can highly recommend Mala in St. Katherine Dock. Food is pricey but not a rip off as it's premium quality - their curried lamb shank is truly awesome. It's not a lot more effort to travel a mile or so north of there to Brick Lane or Commercial Road where there are some of the most authentic curries you'll get without a flight to Mumbai -but they aren't quite up to the 'romantic' atmosphere of Mala if it's your wedding anniversary!
  • Options

Have you popped into the Gurkhas Bros in Chatham. Been twice and have been impressed (for Medway anyway). More Nepalese though than Sth Indian but worth a try out BHA if you have not ventured there...

http://www.gb-restaurant.co.uk/
  • Options
    No, not tried that one.

Funny that TOL has hygeine rating of 1. I'd probably tell the wife that's what makes it more authentic :)
  • Options
    In its previous life, the absurdly named Taste of Lewisham was a Sri Lankan caff and takeaway called Aru Suvai that served delicious food at rock-bottom prices. I was very disappointed with a takeaway chicken biryani from Taste of Lewisham recently (hadn't known about lousy hygiene rating): chicken pieces on-the-bone (mostly bone), dull rice with no discernible veg, and a basic curry sauce. A few yards along is an eatery with the less-than-appetising name Bucketmouth.
  • Options

A few yards along is an eatery with the less-than-appetising name Bucketmouth.

I avoided that place for months because of the name, but paid it a visit on the recommendation of a friend. It's quite smart inside, really clean. Turkish-run, kebabs were good and the fish and chips looked good. Need to find something else to call themselves though!