Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket: West Indies v England

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Yes he did Les

Thank gawd for that. Pressure's on to deliver now though.
  • Options
    Anderson in for Harmy as well.

Run ups are like a beach and pitch looks a pudding. No wonder Windies put us in.
  • Options
    6-0 Rain stopped play.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be suprised if this one gets abandoned - the outfield is a joke, think Stamford Bridge a few years ago before the turf was laid.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Wouldn't be suprised if this one gets abandoned - the outfield is a joke, think Stamford Bridge a few years ago before the turf was laid.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with that pitch at all. It was perfectly playable Oakster and I know that because the FA carried out extensive enquiries into the affair and I have complete faith in their unbiased decision...wibble, wibble...
  • Options
    I know we're meant to keep the same topic on the same thread, but doesn't a new test match deserve its own thread?

I got very confused to start with, and thought England had collapsed again! ;-)
  • Options
    have just seen the outfield.
    once the quicker bowlers have bowled a few overs their feet are gonna be landing in craters in their run-ups.

what chance another postponed test in the windies?
  • Options
    pbs - you got one of those links to watch it online?
  • Options
    shall have a look.
    can see it being abandoned with only 10 balls bowled tbh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Wouldn't be suprised if this one gets abandoned - the outfield is a joke, think Stamford Bridge a few years ago before the turf was laid.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with that pitch at all. It was perfectly playable Oakster and I know that because the FA carried out extensive enquiries into the affair and I have complete faith in their unbiased decision...wibble, wibble...

Indeed we should have felt priviliged & honoured to be even playing there......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]shall have a look.
    can see it being abandoned with only 10 balls bowled tbh.

It's not looking good, just cannot see how it can continue..........
  • Options
    ABANDONED !
  • Options
    abandoned for the day.
    can't see them being able to do anything in a short space of time so i'd say the test will be abandoned.
  • Options
    Well all the England boys will be on the piss already!
  • Options
    Are the conditions likely to improve much? Will the whole test be abandoned?
    You'd be fuming if you'd saved for ages and paid to go out there for the first 2 tests.
    Bowled out for 51 in the first and the second is a farce.
  • Options
    I am working from home today for the first time in ages & was looking forward to watching it - I am hacked off, imagine how those poor sods who have shelled out thousands to be there must feel!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The west indian cricket board are a joke. They have know about this sand bunker of a pitch for days. Bloody idiots.

The crowd (mainly english) have not told been told by the ground officals yet, that the game has been abandoned for the day. Maybe they don't want a riot
  • Options
    If only they had shown the foresight of the Charlton Stadium team and had an early inspection but no they wouldn't learn.
  • Options
    Absolutely crazy, and for the test to be threatened with two to play and the score 1-0 is a joke. How can a test be abandoned two times in the last 15 years, it shouldn't happen once?
  • Options
    Something for the break in play, sir?

http://www.pleasantdinners.com/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beyond disgraceful. I know you can't legislate for the weather but fer christ' sakes...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I am working from home today for the first time in ages & was looking forward to watching it - I am hacked off, imagine how those poor sods who have shelled out thousands to be there must feel!

I know - A mate of mine went out there on Wednesday - I'm sure he'll make the best of it but he'll be well pissed off and rightly so.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    "I don't think there was any doubt there was a problem before we came here with the sand on the ground but everyone thought it was OK," said match referee Alan Hurst.

"No one had bowled on the wicket to test it out. It would have been jumping the gun to say it was unfit before the start of play."

So what exactly is looked at when they inspect the ground, and what's wrong with getting a local club cricketer in to test the run-ups ?

What a complete farce, a total piss take. I'd be raging if I'd paid to go out there and I'd be embarassed if I were Sir Viv, having my name on that place.
  • Options
    Well they just announced that the game will be played from the start (new toss) at the old Recreation ground! It is delapedated, un even, and they have 2 two days as opposed to the normal 3 for the broadcasters to set up tv!! Will be a tremendous effort if it works! We shall see!!!
  • Options
    Why can't they play it at Stanford's gound??

Total farce.
  • Options
    And the game at the Recreation Ground will become the 3rd Test?! If you can hear a rumbling noise that'll be Frindall spinning.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Darren[/cite]And the game at the Recreation Ground will become the 3rd Test?! If you can hear a rumbling noise that'll be Frindall spinning.

The second Test has been abandoned as a draw, so it is an official Test, same as the abandoned Jamaica Test from a few years back.

The Windies have to hope that the ARG will be fit, apparently they have been using it to play football, but it has been used for Test cricket for years.
  • Options
    Sorry BFR did you mean hasn't been used for cricket..? And surely marking that up as a draw will make for even numbered series? I'm confused now :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Darren[/cite]Sorry BFR did you mean hasn't been used for cricket..? And surely marking that up as a draw will make for even numbered series? I'm confused now :-)

I think he is saying that it has recently been used for football however it is a well established (25 years or so) cricket Test arena.

Incidentally I heard on the wireless on the way home that they are confident the rec in Antigua will be fine.
  • Options
    This story will run & run? I heard, on the wireless, that the Recreation Ground is so knackered that it'll only hold 5-6 thousand. Apparently the people that arrived on the liner with CMJ, that Harmison/Flintoff were on board to be papped, paid £17,000 apiece!