Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So how do you see the current manager situation ?

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
The management poll we run in May lent the following results

The manager should be replaced in the summer - 11%
The manager should remain, but given till November for signs of improvement - 17%
The manager should be fully backed, and given the whole of next season for improvement - 73%

133 votes

I added this comment:

I voted to be backed until November.

There has been a ridiculous amount of change at the club in the last year or so. Managers, coaches, players, more recently chairman, and soon to be Chief Executive. Further change for change sake will not be of benefit to anyone.

We have underperformed massively, and as head figure, Pardew must take the lion share of responsibility for that. He is handsomely paid for that priviledge. He now knows everything there is to know about our current squad, and should be given the backing to tinker with it in the Summer. If we are showing signs of improvement come November, then play on. If however we have fallen further behind, then with a month to the January window, then is the time to replace.

To me, at the time that felt a fair and measured approach. As yet, i have seen no signs that we are moving forward again as a team. Yes finances are extremely unfavourable, and would of been a hinderance for whoever the manager is, but it is approaching two years in the job now, and similar mistakes continue to crop up. Many say we have talented individuals, yet we appear to have not a clue how to approach this division, and are forever inconsistent in performance. We are never a side that can consistently play expansive football with penetration, nor are we a team of battlers who will choke the game out of the opposition.

The signings of Bailey and Hudson have been relative successes on early indications, but i have yet to see a single individual improve as a player under Pardew's stewardship. Indeed, although most have flat-lined, others have clearly gone backwards.

Now is not the time to make rash decisions, particularly with the club in limbo with regards the takeover. But the next seven games (4 home, 3 away) will shape the fate of whether i want Pardew to remain as manager or not. We may well prove too good to remain near a relegation position, but this club cannot risk dropping another division with our finances in their current state.

Read what you put in May poll, do you stick by your opinion, have you changed your stance ?

Considered posts on your opinion and not criticism of others only please

Comments

• Options
    May poll

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=15912&page=1
  • Options
    The takeover saga means nothing will happen yet.
  • Options
    I think he has the next half dozen games or so to turn things around, by then zabeel should be at the helm and even if they are not and we are still poor I think we will see changes. We need someone else to take the workload of Bailey, if we can dominate the center of the park then we will win more games
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]I think he has the next half dozen games or so to turn things around, by then zabeel should be at the helm and even if they are not and we are still poor I think we will see changes. We need someone else to take the workload of Bailey, if we can dominate the center of the park then we will win more games

I think that approach is a little bit too risky. I favour the "score more goals than the opposition" approach! ;o)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Would give him until Christmas before the season started but I've lost all faith in Pardew during the last few weeks.

Week after week I see the same mistakes being made. The team doesn't seem to be motivated into doing anything. And when we lose we see the same crap being spouted about how we did well until they scored/ref decision cost us etc.

Tactically he doesn't seem to have a clue either. I wonder what Pards/Parkinson do all week during training.

We won't get rid though.

EDIT TO SAY:

The next 4 games-

Bristol, Burnley and Barnsley at home, Ipswich away. All winnable. If we don't get a good amount from them then I see Pardew being under considerable pressure
  • Options
    This is what I wrote: "Change it, he's had enough time - you have to look at what the guy is now not what he acheived before, and he is clearly wanting in many areas. Keeping him on and giving him more dosh could be very damaging both financially and cos he's lost the fans. Kinsella & Robbo for me, I don't buy the experience thing, leadership and heart are they key thing in motivating players in this day and age."

and later on a different thread something on similar lines a month or two ago.

Everyone sees things differently, but my view hasn't changed (except well he hadn't quite lost the fans back then). I really don't think he's anything special whatsoever and takeover or not I would seriously consider moving him on before we get into serious relegation issues. He's pretty much a blagger with very little substance, something which I am pretty disappointed about.
  • Options
    I really cannot stand the bloke now, however I still think he should be backed 100% for the rest of this season with the new backers coming in or not. He can then be judged after two Full seasons in the Championship. If we have new owners in place by then think he will be sacked then anyway wherever we finish.
  • Options
    we're not doing great but I wouldn't call it a "situation", I still hope he is here until then end of the season, and then we can see. I am disappointed with the results he has been getting, but imho to dump the manager mid season is a panic move which is not justified.
  • Options
    I voted for option three - giving him the whole season. I am still of that view that we should do that but, pressure is building.

I don't have any inside information so this is purely a gut feel based on things that he has said and some players have said, but my worry, (mentioned on another thread) is that he is more of a mentor to players than a manager. Does he get too close to them? He chops and changes the team so he's clearly not afraid to make changes but does he give them a kick in the a*se enough or even at all? Do they know what is required of them in terms of playing for the shirt.

You can drop/chop players within a squad situation with or without sending the message to underperformers that they need. Squad rotation can just be an easy excuse not to give players the jolt they sometimes need to get the best out of them.

Look at the job that Capello has done for England. Gone is the "Stevie G, Becks and Lamps" bullshit of McLaren, and swept away is all the WAGs crap. Capello has got them more disciplined, playing for the shirt and they have responded. No player, unless he is playing at the top of his game, can assume he will be picked.

Take Luke Varney for example, Pards kept faith with him at the start of the season. Yes that's good motivational stuff but how has that faith been repaid? Certainly not in goals.

As I said at the start, I still think the best course is to keep faith with Pards but he does need to earn his corn. What I think though doesn't count for anything and I fear that time is running out for him, unless there is a real change of fortune.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i said give him the whole season but really can't believe this position for these players is correct 19th ffs
    how low can we go and keep on underperforming
    without this takeover going thru i really fear for the general direction of this club, we've straight lined since curbs left (hopefully the same will happen to west ham)
    can't think of a decent replacement that will come to us
    i still remain (in the minority) of the opinion that if dowie had stayed we'd be much better off than we are now... where are qpr in the table??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I really cannot stand the bloke now, however I still think he should be backed 100% for the rest of this season with the new backers coming in or not. He can then be judged after two Full seasons in the Championship. If we have new owners in place by then think he will be sacked then anyway wherever we finish.

if he stays though and we finish mid-table and then he is sacked any new manager won't know what he is working with. For instance, Zabeel bring in a Spanish manager. How does he know what say Moo2 can do/can't do, how can he assess the squad. I'd rather replace him now and give the new man this season to bed in, assess fully the squad, assess the strengths and weaknessess of it and then mount a serious challenge next season. In the meantime if he comes in, can motivate the current squad (still good enough for top six imo)and get us up then even better. I've lost all confidence in Pardew.
  • Options
    We are 6 points down from last season so far which suggests we are getting worse which is worrying considering only 11 games have been played.

I still think it boils down to "who else do we get in?".

Allardyce? Davies?

Parkinson and Kinsella are already in the current setup so does that suggest they are going to be the same as we have at the moment?

I don't know - I think we should stick with him but he needs to take a good hard look at himself, his decisions. Stop trying to be the players' mate (which i get that impression), kick some arse and get them playing to their potential. Because if they do we are good enough to get at least into the playoffs.
  • Options
    Totally with you WSS on this one mate.
    Parky and Kins would basically repeat everything that Pards has done;
    I understand it must be difficult , but the "management" need to step back from the pally side and leave their impression on the team. Curbs was lucky he had Keith Peacock as the "buffer"(for wont of a better word) between him and the team, I get the impression that no such distance exists anymore.
  • Options
    Lennie Lawrence anyone?
  • Options
    could do ahell of a lot worse.
  • Options
    The next 4 games if we lose/draw all four Bye Bye Pards.... Maybe? I dont know how i feel I liked pards but it's excuses excuses. Maybe just give him "the Vote Of Confidence" That'll shake him up!
  • Options
    I personally just cannot see how Pards is going to turn this around, his record with us is AWFUL!! ages ago i did a tally on here and his record is abysmal with us. We do have a good squad despite the departures over the summer, we are strong enough to be in the top 6 but were not! how many times have you left the Valley or an away ground and thought what the hell happend there!! I would give him 3 games, weve got 2 home games comming up win both of them and were back up there lose and we could easily be in the bottom 3. my biggest problem with PArds is his ego, its never his fault or never picked the wrong side, but sorry Alan it its your fault!!! yop pick the team, you pick the tactics you are doing somthing wrong!! get back to basics stiop trying to be the arsenal of the championship and lets roll up are sleeves and fight are way back up the league, or face doom.
  • Options
    http://www.soccerbase.com/managers2.sd?managerid=1337

speaks for its self really.
  • Options
    not a bad record to be honest!
  • Options
    For some reason I have always liked Alan Pardew and when he joined us I was very excited,I thought he'd been wronged at Wet Spam and was just the man to add a bit of spirit to our desperate situation,as we all know the team put up a good fight in the battle to avoid the drop (initially) although we ran out of steam in the end.
    Roll onto 07/08 and I really thought for a while in the CCC we looked as if promotion was a distinct possibility. From about February onwards though it fell away badly,definately a motivation issue there I think and the eventual 11th placing was as we all know pretty poor in the end.
    This season on the pitch over 11 games in and 19th place in the league I have sadly lost faith in his ability to turn things around, what with his baffling tactics, odd selections,lack of consistency and a sound sample ready to play of his sundry excuses I think that under Pardew we have essentially come to the end of the line.
    More time would inevitably lead to more of the same, the ever diminishing returns are there for all to see but as ever the question of a successor depends largely on finances, availability etc. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than for him to prove me wrong, sadly I just don't think he will.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    His last 30 games read as :

9 wins

6 Draws

15 Loses.
  • Options
    when you put it like that.........
  • Options
    I think that this takeover puts everything on ice to be honest. If it happens and its clear they intend to invest even modestly in the squad then it might give us the lift we so desperately need and the impetus to improve. If it all goes pear shaped with Zabeel then I am afraid I don`t know what will happen. IMHO it would be a devastating blow from the boardroom to the fans and I could easily see things getting much worse with or without Pardew at the helm. I know we must be patient but I can`t help thinking that the next two or three weeks will be the most important thing since the winding up order.
  • Options
    I previously said that he should be given 'till the end of the season.

My view now is two fold depending on the takeover:

If the club is taken over the management should be reviewed immediately with the expectation of a new manager in place before the January window so he can assess the situation before entering into the market.

If the club is not taken over then we carry on as we are as we can't afford anything else.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Just can't see Pardew improving us. Had enough of his excuses. Always about the referee, linesman, opposition players having the game of their life, missing certain players. Last season he said we missed Todorov which is fair enough, but the way we played last season, one player wouldn't have made that much difference, it was a problem with the team.

He says his teams always play good football, but for a lot of games last season, we hoofed the ball up to Iwelumo. Clearly not going to work with our team, but we try and play football for a bit, then go back to the hopeful long ball stuff.

There's a few major problems, no one including Pardew knows our best team, we simply don't have one. We don't have much going forward, as most of our attacking players are very inconsistent.

I often feel when we play well, some of it is down to the opposition having an off day, or us getting a bit of luck.
  • Options
    Iwelumo bugs me the most, i know it was probably a good deal getting him free and selling him for a profit, but look how well he has done at wolves.. the answer.. WINGERS!!!!!!!! Andy Gray would love getting in there contesting headers but i think ive seen 3 crosses in the last few seasons the winners against southampton and bristol all crosses all headed goals!!! its basic football tactics Pards.
  • Options
    In all honesty it's a bit of a pointless question at this moment in time whilst we're still in limbo re the possible takeover - plus we're not yet in November which was one of the options on the original poll.

That said, if we don't win either of these next two home games this week then I can see more and more people lining up to take a swing. I don't normally call for managers heads - in fact I never have done - but if (heaven forbid!) we lost these next two games then it wouldn't be looking good. Doesn't look great now ......... but that would really be a bit "sticky"!
  • Options
    pardews record is not good at all but lets b honest since curbs went its been one big f--k up the board av got it wrong on numerous occasions letting players go ,dowie , les reed , peter varney going was a major blow , pards is struggling to keep the fans faith including me but i think the problems lie deeper and needs to be sorted asap.
  • Options
    What is the answer though? It is incredibly frustrating; we were soooooooo poor away to Palace. I don’t think there are many managers out there that can take us up. I would say lets keep Pardew until the end of the year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]For some reason I have always liked Alan Pardew and when he joined us I was very excited,I thought he'd been wronged at Wet Spam and was just the man to add a bit of spirit to our desperate situation,as we all know the team put up a good fight in the battle to avoid the drop (initially) although we ran out of steam in the end.
    Roll onto 07/08 and I really thought for a while in the CCC we looked as if promotion was a distinct possibility. From about February onwards though it fell away badly,definately a motivation issue there I think and the eventual 11th placing was as we all know pretty poor in the end.
    This season on the pitch over 11 games in and 19th place in the league I have sadly lost faith in his ability to turn things around, what with his baffling tactics, odd selections,lack of consistency and a sound sample ready to play of his sundry excuses I think that under Pardew we have essentially come to the end of the line.
    More time would inevitably lead to more of the same, the ever diminishing returns are there for all to see but as ever the question of a successor depends largely on finances, availability etc. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than for him to prove me wrong, sadly I just don't think he will.

Agree 100% with that. I was willing to give him time but we can't score goals and Dickson (who might not be the answer but he couldn't score any less) is not even on the bench. Last game he took Cranie off at h/t - Semedo plays out of his skin. What does he do? Start with Cranie again and pull him off at half time again - for Semedo, who then lasts 4 minutes. Unbelievable.