Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New to the site ? tell us where you live

Comments

• Options
    Born Woolwich, raised in Greenwich (West), then lived in Welling for about 3 years and after that moved (with job) to Northampton, where I have now lived for over 16 years
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: delroofer[/cite]First-time poster, but felt drawn to contribute to this particular thread. I lived in Sidcup in the early 60's with parents and 2 brothers when Dad died of lung cancer at the age of 33. I was only 11 when a friendly neighbour by the name of Bill Thrower (and his son of the same name if I remember correctly) offered to take me along to watch Charlton one Saturday. I was hooked and he kindly took me with him every Saturday - first team one week and reserves the next - until my Mum moved my brothers and I to Harlow. Although this is an area of Spurs and Arsenal fans, with a smattering of Hammers thrown in, there are quite a few of us who admit to folowing Charlon.
    I have never had the chance to thank Bill Thrower - Senior and Junior - for taking this snotty kid under their wing and for giving me unique and abiding memories, smells and sounds of The Valley that have remained with me for over 40 years. (I cannot hear Jonathan King's record of "Everyone's Gone to the Moon" without remembering blaring
    out as we went through the turnstiles on those early visits).
    Thanks for the memories Bill, wherever you may be.
    great post
  • Options
    Fug me, does ANYONE still live round here ???

Welcome to the site all you newbies
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome. Where do we get our rose-tinted glasses?
  • Options
    Born in Woolwich, moved to Plumstead when I got married, bought my first house in Welling, then moved to Bexleyheath, I now live in St Mary's Platt, Kent.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: delroofer[/cite]Thanks for the welcome. Where do we get our rose-tinted glasses?[/quote]

Welcome Del, there is another thread asking what you do for a living.....................what is it you do ;-)
  • Options
    I suppose I could award a prize to anyone who can guess what I do for a living!!
  • Options
    Not new but have not added myself to the list.

If u have not guessed from the name.

I'm from the Cray (St pauls) Orpington.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: delroofer[/cite]I suppose I could award a prize to anyone who can guess what I do for a living!![/quote]

I might be looking for one soon, do you work in Kent?
  • Options
    I might be looking for one soon, do you work in Kent?

Not very often as we are kept busy working closer to home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: delroofer[/cite]I might be looking for one soon, do you work in Kent?

Not very often as we are kept busy working closer to home.[/quote]

No worries worth a try

If you click on the word "quote" in the top right hand corner of the message you are repling too it will quote what the other person has said if you want it shown, it should come out in a feint orange but for some reason mine has stopped working.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: delroofer[/cite]I might be looking for one soon, do you work in Kent?

Not very often as we are kept busy working closer to home.[/quote]

No worries worth a try

If you click on the word "quote" in the top right hand corner of the message you are repling too it will quote what the other person has said if you want it shown, it should come out in a feint orange but for some reason mine has stopped working.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    I've been posting for a couple of months now so I thought I'd contribute to this thread.

Born in Crayford. Lived in Shooters Hill (9 years), Sidcup (5), New Eltham (5), Bromley (2), Bath (5), Milan (1), Windsor/Slough (1), San Francisco (6), Pembury/Paddock Wood (5), San Francisco (17) in that order.

Charlton years started from age 7 onwards. First match at the Valley was in 1961. Duff, Townsend, Hewie, Leary etc., etc.

The most difficult part of living away is most definitely the Charlton connection. I visit at least once a year and schedule it around the most games as possible. This year I'm back from March 3, Tranmere home, MK Dons away and Brentford home.
  • Options
    The lovely place that is Plumstead.
  • Options
    Born in Woolwich (British Hospital for Mothers and Babies), brought up in Eltham, now live (last 14 years) on the North Downs in Kent, about 5 miles in from Faversham, currently have house on the market and if all goes well we will be living in France (Haute Vienne) soon.

First Charlton game, aged 8 in 1971, versus Peterborough in the League Cup, won 5 1, hooked straight away.
  • Options
    norwich 15 miles cromer 18 miles yarmouth 15miles CHARTON TO FAR
  • Options
    Plumstead, Erith, Belvedere, Bromley, Penge, Southborough, Plaxtol, Orpington, Tonbridge.

First Charlton game 1985 vs Barnsley we won 5-3.
  • Options
    Born at the old Greenwich Hospital.

Lived in Plumstead, Welling, Sidcup, Edmonton (the Canadian one), Swanscombe, Slade Green and now Barnehurst.
  • Options
    quote# 468
    Don't really post much but I very much enjoy reading other fellow addicks views on here and I have lived on Canvey Island for 21 years!

Hi peters8

Thought I was the only one here on Canvey, it seems there are three of us now that are registered with CL. We could start a Canvey clique!

What part of the island are you from?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Born in Dartford, grew up in Crayford,now living in "the sunniest place in England" Eastbourne (gods waiting room)
    first match was when i was 10 caught the train with Lee edwards,from crayford, and watched Charlton v QPR with Rodney Marsh playing as center forward
    spent half the game chanting "rodney is a fairy" with the rest of the covered end
    happy days

cant remember the score does anyone know ? think it was 1970
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Born in Charlton, had a couple of moves there, then Blackheath, then Welling with a couple more moves. Spent a large amount of time working in Asia and also Frankfurt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: raymondao[/cite]Born in Dartford, grew up in Crayford,now living in "the sunniest place in England" Eastbourne (gods waiting room)
    first match was when i was 10 caught the train with Lee edwards,from cayford, and watched Charlton v QPR with Rodney Marsh playing as center forward
    spent half the game chanting "rodney is a fairy" with the rest of the covered end
    happy days

cant remember the score does anyone know ? think it was 1970

If it was the 69/70 season 1 - 1.
  • Options
    Can't remember if I posted in this thread or not!

Born in QM Sidcup, now live just up the road in New Eltham, SE9.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: delroofer[/cite]First-time poster, but felt drawn to contribute to this particular thread. I lived in Sidcup in the early 60's with parents and 2 brothers when Dad died of lung cancer at the age of 33. I was only 11 when a friendly neighbour by the name of Bill Thrower (and his son of the same name if I remember correctly) offered to take me along to watch Charlton one Saturday. I was hooked and he kindly took me with him every Saturday - first team one week and reserves the next - until my Mum moved my brothers and I to Harlow. Although this is an area of Spurs and Arsenal fans, with a smattering of Hammers thrown in, there are quite a few of us who admit to folowing Charlon.
    I have never had the chance to thank Bill Thrower - Senior and Junior - for taking this snotty kid under their wing and for giving me unique and abiding memories, smells and sounds of The Valley that have remained with me for over 40 years. (I cannot hear Jonathan King's record of "Everyone's Gone to the Moon" without remembering blaring
    out as we went through the turnstiles on those early visits).
    Thanks for the memories Bill, wherever you may be.
    great post

Agreed, great post. Hope that (the slim chance of) Bill or his son reading this (or someone they know) means he gets that Thank you.
  • Options
    Born in Belvedere moved to Erith now live in Brentwood, Essex.
  • Options
    think i am the only charlton fan in beckenham
  • Options
    Born & lived in Bexley until 21 then Erith / Thamesmead / Erith / Gravesend and now 10 years after leaving, back in Bexley again!
  • Options
    Not new to site (my 5 years comes up in October - where's me badge?) - but never posted on this thread, so here goes:

Born Sydenham -> Montreal (Canada) -> Sydenham -> Hither Green -> Sydenham -> Shortlands -> Sydenham -> Forest Hill -> West Wickham -> Crawley -> Beckenham -> Bromley ->Orpington (Crofton).....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: route one[/cite]think i am the only charlton fan in beckenham

Lots of Charlton fans around there and all over Bromley. You should come along to a Bromley Addicks meeting.
  • Options
    Afternoon all. Joined the site last week. I live in Barnet and grew up in Tunbridge Wells. I support Charlton because aged 5 I was under the impression that my dad played for us. My first game was a 5-1 home defeat (to Rotherham or someone like that). I loved it and abandoned my brief relationship with Ipswich Town at that point (it was the early 80s and they were awesome).