Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tennis

124»

Comments

• Options
    Not the greatest fan but it was an amazing spectacle.

Great summer for spain

Maybe 2010 will be the same for england ;0)
  • Options
    Just glad the swiss bloke didn't beat a fellow Addick's record.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Just glad the swiss bloke didn't beat a fellow Addick's record.

Every time Bjorn Bjorg was shown i had to point out to everyone in the room that he's an Addick!

Never been one to watch Tennis, great game to play though, but that match last night was fantastic.

Who else noticed that Nadal had to keep scratching his arris? really started getting on my nerves!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]Not the greatest fan but it was an amazing spectacle.

Great summer for spain

Maybe 2010 will be the same for england ;0)

hehe, we said that! can't wait to soak up the winning atmosphere in a week and a half when I get there!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]

Every time Bjorn Bjorg was shown i had to point out to everyone in the room that he's an Addick!

Who else noticed that Nadal had to keep scratching his arris? really started getting on my nerves!

I was sat in a pub doing exactly the same thing... "theres charlton's most famous fan" everytime he came on screen.

He wasnt scratching his arse, he was pulling his pants out of his wotsit. He needs to buy M&S.

Absolutely amazing game.
  • Options
    Bump.

Still dont get tennis even with the arguement re Murray.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Bump.

Still dont get tennis even with the arguement re Murray.

I look on Wimbledon like I do the Grand National.

They are British institutions and worth watching even if I don't watch any other tennis or horse races in the year.
  • Options
    Could not give a flying feck about tennis at all.
  • Options
    Not too bothered by Tennis, but I'll probably watch a bit of Wimbledon - it is at least far superior to watch than the dullest sport of all, Formula 1 motor racing!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I agree those people who only seem to like tennis for 2 weeks are annoying as they are probably the ones who hype Murray up expecting him to win easily and then bash him down when he doesn't win (Federer probably will).

Nadal being out will help greatly but think the US Open is his best chance.

At least unlike F1 the BBC can be safe Wimbledon will be around for a long time without too much fuss and does create some exciting matches (more in Men than Ladies)

As I said on the other thread about Murray I do think he has become more mature and grown-up in recent years but ofcourse people who liked Henman's personality probably won't like Murray as they are different.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Always watched the Grand Slams but never played the game in my life. My youngest son, however, started playing two years ago and I have witnessed at first hand how and why we have failed to produce any major contenders in the last 40 years or so (Murray doesn't count as he learnt his trade in Spain and Henman was never ever a serious contender).

The LTA have created one big comfort zone for the players, coaches, and club members. The LTA provides the funding to build and improve the courts, the clubs "employ" the coaches who, in turn, create their own little industry from the kids that play mini tennis; the middle class Mums and Dads get the satisfaction of watching their off spring (and I include myself in this group) play and notionally "improve".

But that is exactly what it is - one big comfort zone. Unless you are socially accepted by the club and have the money to play and pay for coaching then you simply have no chance of partaking on a regular basis in the sport.

That rules out the most important "pool" available to us. The hungry kid with the natural eye to ball coordination to go with it. The Rooney type of individual. The one that would get angry with the Umpire, the opponent, the line judge, in fact the whole world when things aren't going right. Not the Henman type who would revel in his abiltiy to fight back from being two sets down - only to lose the fifth set for an honourable defeat. And before anyone suggests that the likes of Federer and Borg don't have the Rooney temperament, it is a fact that both of these were serial racket breakers post losing matches. The former apparently broke no less than seven of them after one defeat.

Coaches charge anything between £15 and £30 per hour for an individual lesson and a group session of say 10 players would yield £60 per hour. It can cost £10 just to play an hour with your mate on a dreadful public court. Those costs are out of the reach for most parents in this country.

So, until we reach out to ALL kids we are highly unlikely to ever produce a top player. Lithuania recently defeated us in the Davis Cup on an annual budget of just £180,000. The LTA budget is £23 million. But their players were up for it. Ours weren't and rarely are.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Always watched the Grand Slams but never played the game in my life. My youngest son, however, started playing two years ago and I have witnessed at first hand how and why we have failed to produce any major contenders in the last 40 years or so (Murray doesn't count as he learnt his trade in Spain and Henman was never ever a serious contender).

The LTA have created one big comfort zone for the players, coaches, and club members. The LTA provides the funding to build and improve the courts, the clubs "employ" the coaches who, in turn, create their own little industry from the kids that play mini tennis and the middle class Mums and Dads get the satisfaction of watching their off spring (and I include myself amongst this group) play and notionally "improve".

But that is exactly what it is - one big comfort zone. Unless you are socially accepted by the club and have the money to play and pay for coaching then you simply have no chance of partaking on a regular basis in the sport.

That rules out the most important "pool" available to us. The hungry kid with the natural eye to ball coordination to go with it. The Rooney type of individual. The one that would get angry with the Umpire, the opponent, the line judge, in fact the whole world when things aren't going right. Not the Henman type who would revel in his abiltiy to fight back from being two sets down - only to lose the fifth set for an honourable defeat. And before anyone suggests that the likes of Federer and Borg don't have the Rooney temperament, it is a fact that both of these were serious racket breakers post losing matches. The former apparently broke no less than seven of them after one defeat.

Coaches charge anything between £15 and £30 per hour for an individual lesson and a group session of say 10 players would yield £60 per hour. It can cost £10 an hour just to play an hour with your mate on a dreadful public court. Those costs are out of the reach for most parents in this country.

So, until we reach out to ALL kids we are highly unlikely to ever produce a top player. Lithuania recently defeated us in the Davis Cup on an annual budget of just £180,000. The LTA budget is £23 million. But their players were up for it. Ours weren't and rarely are.

Good analysis AA.
  • Options
    I fooking loveeeeeeeeeeee tennis. Not too keen on the womens, too lightweight and slow for me. Love to play too although I cant see the ball, but when I do eventually hit it...WOW!

Aint life better with sport in it?
  • Options
    Love it. Was a ball boy for the likes of Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Nastase, Becker etc for many years in the 70's/80's at Wembley Arena.
    Since moving over here I've bumped into Pat Rafter and Eyvonne Goolagong who both live locally.
  • Options
    I heard that Pat Rafter is now a roof inspector!
  • Options
    Didnt want to start a new thread hence the old thread

The Zverev brothers are about to face each other for the 1st time.

And it comes hours after they played together in doubles