Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tennis

Just dont get it !

whilst Wimbledon may be one of the biggest sporting events World wide its just an instant turn page or switch over for me. Long time ago now but i cant remember anyone playing tennis at school and we did have courts.

The usual British media bollox today as well. Murray wins a game and head line of Land of Hop and Glory. When he loses he will be slated.

Comments

• Still quite an elitist sport in my opinion - in this country anyway. Many of the eastern europeans that are dominating the top rankings bugger off to the US at a young age to utilise their superior training centres as well as making a few quid in the process for their family.

Personally, I don't mind watching it but the grunting that happens all too often really distracts me from the match - that and the short skirts and pretty faces (of the women before you start).

This year it seems to concentrate more on what the bloody players are wearing rather than the tennis they are playing.
  • As an event im glad its there but as a sport its shit.
  • Not for me overated game
  • I find tennis a fascinating game, it is a fantastic game to watch at times, although I admit some matches (especially a lot of the womens games) are too one-sided and monotonous.

physically it is very demanding and for anyone interested in the psychology of sport it is a must see. The mental side of tennis is massively important at the top level.
  • I am pretty sure we had tennis courts at our school - Paulbaconsarnie can you rremember that sure we did-
  • absolutley love it!!! after many MANY years of playing football i find i am just going through the motions and it has become a bit of a habit, whereas i have fallen in love with sport again through playing Tennis.
  • It's alright to play i suppose, but not as a spectator sport...i'd rather watch paint dry.
  • Can't stand the game personally
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]absolutley love it!!! after many MANY years of playing football i find i am just going through the motions and it has become a bit of a habit, whereas i have fallen in love with sport again through playing Tennis.[/quote]

Fancy meeting up Eltham park South in the week?

I'll kick you arse.
  • Doggers
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Doggers

LOL
  • [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]absolutley love it!!! after many MANY years of playing football i find i am just going through the motions and it has become a bit of a habit, whereas i have fallen in love with sport again through playing Tennis.

Fancy meeting up Eltham park South in the week?

I'll kick you arse.

Definately mate, can you reach over the net though?
  • Andy Murray... the man who said he would be cheering on any team other than England in the last world cup? makes me sick to see the Wimbledon masses cheering him on. Dont do it! He hates the english. lets hope he's out in the next round. But knowing our luck he'll one day go on to win the damn thing and we'll all suffer.

i used to love it when younger - loved watching Connors McEnroe, Becker etc. Havent got into it in years (apart from a few tiger tim games).
  • Well said B , I can't stand the prick
  • edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Just dont get it !

whilst Wimbledon may be one of the biggest sporting events World wide its just an instant turn page or switch over for me. Long time ago now but i cant remember anyone playing tennis at school and we did have courts.

The usual British media bollox today as well. Murray wins a game and head line of Land of Hop and Glory. When he loses he will be slated.

I'm with you there GH, it just leaves me cold. All them idiots going on about Murray Mount or something when the other year it was Henman Hill. Press reports about someone wearing shorts and someone wearing a raincoat and how many strawberrys they are going to eat; it's just tosh. Imagine if all the newspaper reports for Euro 2008 were about who was going to wear lederhosen and how much bavarian lager was going to be quaffed, the press would be a laughing stock.

We had tennis courts at school, in five years I never saw anyone play a game. The reason is because if you've got 5 courts between a class of 30 you're always going to have 20 people sitting out. Whereas games like football are always inclusive. One pitch - class of 30 kids, 15-a-side - easy. It is therefore a complete waste of time building tennis courts at school unless you got the space to build dozens of them, and of course that rules out the working class.

Tennis: a sport for people who don't like sport.
  • I love the two week tennis fans - mostly women who "hate" football - who tell us how much they love the game, and then forget about it for another year until Wimbledon comes around again.
  • Squash. Better game to play, impossible to watch.

Tennis. Womans sport, 'tiger' Tim? Each to their own and all that but Danny Kelly has it right, we had a couple of big tennis court things that were used by the entire school for football, beatings etc but when it was the last two months of the school year, the hottest and sunniest and best to play football in the tennis nets went up and only those who wanted/could play tennis could use them. About 8 in total leaving the rest of us to do stuff that ended up in large chinks of us spending the best months to be in school expelled or suspended for stupid things as we weren't allowed to play football anywhere else and found other ways of entertaining ourselves.
  • Enjoy watching tennis but never really played it much as cricket and athletics always took precedence for me in the summer.

Can't say I'm a fan of Murray to be honest, obnoxious Scottish tw**, but Federer and Nadal are quality players and worth watching.
  • Only the Sun could describe the guy rakned 661 in the world, who has won just one game, the New British Sensation !!

give me strength....
  • I'll watch it when in the mood, but not really bothered, as long as Murray gets walloped.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2008
    Murrays mount FFS how sad is that ? Now he has an "english granny" .

i couldnt name the top 3 players and im glad. Its the sporting equivalent of Big Brother. If you like it and wanna watch it OK hate the coverage it gets as im totaly not intrested in it.

John Macenroe total ball less (not the tennis kind) wa**er. Once about 8 years ago he freaked at the hotel where i worked had the Customer Services lady in tears , so i had to deal with the wan*ker. Got in the lift with him to go to his room and he started to freak out again so i said to him from a distance of about 2 mm"i suggest strongly you dont talk to me like im a lump of S*it" . The blood drained out of his face and u could see the bottle being dropped ! I sorted out his problem and we herd no more of it. Macenroe hard man " You can not be serious".
  • What time is plug playing?
  • edited June 2008
    Sincethe days of the great Borg/McEnroe encounters it's never quite been the same for me.
    Those games went way beyond simple tennis, it was also pure theatre, the two completely contrasting characters, styles of play and general approach to the sport and occassion created a Wimbledon era to cherish and never forget.
    As we all know, as great a player as McEnroe was, it was Borg who always seemed to have the upper hand.
    McEnroe would shout and holler at all and sundry if there was a disputed line call etc, whilst Borg would get across his point of view with the most fleeting of eye contact with a line judge or umpire if he felt they were wrong.
    Believe you me, Borg used to wind-up McEnroe 'far far more' than the otherway around despite all McEnroes efforts, simply with his ice cool unflappable stance.
    As I've already said....it was pure theatre!
  • Loved them games Soundas. Lots of memories.
  • oh dear. he's one set up and 4 love up in the second.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Andy Murray... the man who said he would be cheering on any team other than England in the last world cup? makes me sick to see the Wimbledon masses cheering him on. Dont do it! He hates the english. lets hope he's out in the next round. But knowing our luck he'll one day go on to win the damn thing and we'll all suffer.

i used to love it when younger - loved watching Connors McEnroe, Becker etc. Havent got into it in years (apart from a few tiger tim games).

Murray has always maintained he was taken out of context with the football comment when England were about to play Paraguay at the world cup. Read the 2nd comment down about 'anti-english'.

http://www.murraysworld.com/biography/
  • easy win for him today 6-4, 6-2, 6-2
  • Oh course he's gonna say that now ain't he . Too late boy
  • And the wearing of opposing nations shirts when they played England allegedly, and as Shag says, he would say that now wouldn't he, akin to Mo Johnston suddenly finding a Protestant grandfather not long after signing for Rangers.

He can "get tae feck"
  • any interest i had ihas now gone. sharapova is out.