Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Finding out that mugwump is a proper word. Boris showing off again.

(From Oxford living dictionary).

mugwump
    NOUN

North American
    A person who remains aloof or independent, especially from party politics.

Origin
    Mid 19th century: from Algonquian mugquomp ‘great chief’.

In The Sun FFS!

Know your audience, Boris mate.
  • people that never have cash on them and insist on using card, my biggest bug is in pubs!!!!, went to a party the other week and some knob in front ordered a lemonade then wanted to pay by card, and then got quite upset when they didn't take card for £1.30
  • people that never have cash on them and insist on using card, my biggest bug is in pubs!!!!, went to a party the other week and some knob in front ordered a lemonade then wanted to pay by card, and then got quite upset when they didn't take card for £1.30

Interesting, I take the opposite stance.

Card charges and not accepting cards in the 21st century isn't on... I generally don't carry cash as I don't want my notes to turn into annoying change.

I'd say that not having contactless payment now is creeping towards 'general things that annoy you'.

Very much on the list though was trying to pay on card for ~£10 of stuff in the pharmacy the other day they said they only do cash... so I went somewhere else that does. From a business point of view, how many times does that need to happen before it's worth buying a PDQ?
    Even more interesting, I don't. "Annoying change" get over yourself. If it's annoying, leave it as a tip... :wink:
  • as a general rule i think over £10 is acceptable for a card, admittedly with contactless now it does speed the process up when in a bar etc with a heavy footfall and a lot of customers wanting to be served, work for a plumbing merchants and we get charged i think 17 pence per transaction, so under £5.00 we charge 50p to use card.

Interesting, I take the opposite stance.

Card charges and not accepting cards in the 21st century isn't on... I generally don't carry cash as I don't want my notes to turn into annoying change.

I'd say that not having contactless payment now is creeping towards 'general things that annoy you'.

Very much on the list though was trying to pay on card for ~£10 of stuff in the pharmacy the other day they said they only do cash... so I went somewhere else that does. From a business point of view, how many times does that need to happen before it's worth buying a PDQ?
    This I just use contactless where possible, it saves money.
  • Joshua v Klitchko being rammed down our throats everywhere I look. Be glad when it's over.
  • I haven't been able to remember my PIN number recently because of how widespread contactless is. I rarely spend £30 in one go - if I do I'm buying groceries, clothes, or other stuff that I get online - and it seems that I no longer have to use my PIN when I use contactless multiple times in a row.

At first it scared the crap out of me, and I even got little aluminium card protectors, but meh.. It's so convenient that I even have a contactless key ring for my business account now.
  • Plumber doing his stuff at the moment, when did they get so expensive, tea will come with the cheap biscuits I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Noticing my

When you click on "forgotten password" and it doesn't send you the new password straight away or not at all.

Also, I know I got the password right. F*** you.

Or it automatically texts a temporary password to your phone, which is smashed to bits and waiting to be replaced
  • Plumber doing his stuff at the moment, when did they get so expensive, tea will come with the cheap biscuits I think.

He should get his own tea if he's charging a lot.
  • Done this one before but idiots that don't observe the 'silent study area' signs all over the place.

There is a 'group study area' literally 5 metres away in the next room. It's empty. Why you fucking me off 2 weeks before my finals!

These idiots are invariably cocky groups of first years.
  • Done this one before but idiots that don't observe the 'silent study area' signs all over the place.

There is a 'group study area' literally 5 metres away in the next room. It's empty. Why you fucking me off 2 weeks before my finals!

I'd get off Charlton Life if you've only got 2 weeks left.
    Fair point. I need a break every now and then...

What every 50mins? ;)

What every 50mins? ;)
    30! ;)
  • That weird bald guy Kevin Crout
  • What dickhead thought a birds eye view was the best camera angle when United take a corner?

Whoever it was, they annoy me.

Probably got Steven Speilberg directing the camera work...
  • Sponsored links:

• What dickhead thought a birds eye view was the best camera angle when United take a corner?

Whoever it was, they annoy me.

It's actually the worst thing I've seen for a while.
  • Making arrangements for all my training appointments to get moved to the next day and bank holiday Monday in order to attend the protest, only to find we are actually now playing on the Sunday. How much more detached from this football club can I get, it's bad enough not knowing who we are playing half the time. :(
  • Why do news reporters always have to start far from and walk toward the camera when they're outside doing a piece for the news. It's pathetic. Do they think it places more emphasis on the piece? Often they combine this staged walk with some gesticulation of the hands, equally irrelevant
  • edited April 2017
    Every time that American Airline thread gets bumped I fear they are the new owners :(
  • LuckyReds said:

I haven't been able to remember my PIN number recently because of how widespread contactless is. I rarely spend £30 in one go - if I do I'm buying groceries, clothes, or other stuff that I get online - and it seems that I no longer have to use my PIN when I use contactless multiple times in a row.

At first it scared the crap out of me, and I even got little aluminium card protectors, but meh.. It's so convenient that I even have a contactless key ring for my business account now.

Interesting item on Wake up to money (20 minutes 30 seconds in). we are definitely heading in the cashless direction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mtjvp
  • LuckyReds said:

I haven't been able to remember my PIN number recently because of how widespread contactless is. I rarely spend £30 in one go - if I do I'm buying groceries, clothes, or other stuff that I get online - and it seems that I no longer have to use my PIN when I use contactless multiple times in a row.

Interesting item on Wake up to money (20 minutes 30 seconds in). we are definitely heading in the cashless direction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mtjvp
    On the whole it's a positive change and one that people will find convenient.

There is potential for it to go wrong. Or for a governemnt to exploit it in order to exploit us.
  • I'll have to have a gander at that @Raith_C_Chattonell - I think it's a pretty interesting time at the moment.

I grabbed a dirty hangover breakfast from Wetherspoons the other day; took my seat and ordered my food on their new app. Didn't even have to get my wallet out or walk to the bar.

If I need to head up to town for a meeting or something then I tap-in and out using a contactless keyring attached to my work USB disks.

If I pop in to Tesco I get served by a machine and pay by tapping my card on it.It's so easy to never have to touch money anymore.

It's a bit barmy to think how fast things are changing all around us, and that's not even including the likes of Uber, Deliveroo, Just Eat, Amazon.. etc

When I had to fly for work I used a mobile app for boarding and my mate would use his Apple Watch.

Similarly, I can carry around the biggest collection of music known to man (Spotify), have thousands of hours of TV and Movies via NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and still have entire libraries of books online.

All a bit nuts really.
  • cabbles said:

Why do news reporters always have to start far from and walk toward the camera when they're outside doing a piece for the news. It's pathetic. Do they think it places more emphasis on the piece? Often they combine this staged walk with some gesticulation of the hands, equally irrelevant

That reminds me. It annoys me when they're interviewing someone and they occasionally change the shot to show the interviewer nodding sagely while the interviewee is talking. Especially when you can tell it's been filmed afterwards and inserted into the piece.
  • LuckyReds said:

I'll have to have a gander at that @Raith_C_Chattonell - I think it's a pretty interesting time at the moment.

I grabbed a dirty hangover breakfast from Wetherspoons the other day; took my seat and ordered my food on their new app. Didn't even have to get my wallet out or walk to the bar.

If I need to head up to town for a meeting or something then I tap-in and out using a contactless keyring attached to my work USB disks.

If I pop in to Tesco I get served by a machine and pay by tapping my card on it.It's so easy to never have to touch money anymore.

It's a bit barmy to think how fast things are changing all around us, and that's not even including the likes of Uber, Deliveroo, Just Eat, Amazon.. etc

When I had to fly for work I used a mobile app for boarding and my mate would use his Apple Watch.

Similarly, I can carry around the biggest collection of music known to man (Spotify), have thousands of hours of TV and Movies via NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and still have entire libraries of books online.

All a bit nuts really.

That piece mentions 1 in 5 Europeans now carry no cash and 3 in 5 would like to be cashless.

It mentions things that I’d not thought of - like the cashless coffee shop, whose owner makes savings on manhours and potential problems in counting, balancing and banking paper money.

Another thing is the unseen cost to paper money. The bank of England may well charge us for using their notes in the future.

When I set up my wallet I generally aim for £70 which according to ‘Wake up to money’ is a rarity indeed with people nowadays carrying much, much less.

That said, even I - as a self confessed dinosaur - use cash less and less and that £70 is lasting longer and longer.
  • I'm off to Sandown races today, cash is king there with the bookies although I suppose eventually they'll start taking cards.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!