Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tributes to Chrissy Powell (old thread)

Don't think it could ever of been scripted better.

Don't mind admitting i was choked up at the end.

Thank you Chrissy. Everything a 'role model' should be and a fantastic player to boot.

Comments

• A true one off, 100%er and top bloke - deserves every single bit of praise he gets

ONE OF US
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Don't think it could ever of been scripted better.

Thank you Chrissy. Everything a 'role model' should be and a fantastic player to boot.

I think the goal this is what he deserved.
  • Amazing ........ you just couldn't have written it beforehand!

5 minutes on the park and he scores with his first touch.

What a celebration, fit for a legend.

Chrissie, if this is your final league game in a Charlton shirt - thanks for 270 games, 3 goals and a great example to the world, in showing the true spirit of how the game of football should be played.
  • Absolute Legend you couldn't of even dreamed of that goal
    Thanks for everythink Chrissy
  • edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Don't think it could ever of been scripted better.

As big and ugly as I am, I have to admit for the first time since our return to The Valley I shed a tear the at the sight of Sir Chris Powell being carried aloft by junior pro`s. Chris Powell I thank for what you did in a red shirt. I hope one day to see you back as the Boss.
  • No doubt from the end it was his final game.

Great that at least 3/4s of the crowd stayed to show appreciation to the team and in particular Chrissy. He tailed the main procession with his two kids. Standing ovation throughout. The crowd had been singing his name and doing the old 'wooooooaaaa' near enough straight from the second half.

Scored within two means of coming on, seemed to spend the rest of the game and afterwards in tears. Twice the crowd sang 'stand up if you love chris powell'. It was great, and very 'Charlton'. At the end Holland, Weaver, McCarthy and Holland stayed at the tunnel to greet him.
  • Everything that is good about Charlton. And don't forget he was always more than just a great bloke he was a very good footballer who deserved his England caps and the honour that brought him and Charlton.

Good to see the younger pros such as Basey waiting for him and the obvious respect he commands. I hope he's involved as a coach or in some capacity at Charlton sooner rather than later.

Well done to all the stayed to clap him off. That's what Charlton is about for me.
  • edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I hope he's involved as a coach or in some capacity at Charlton sooner rather than later.

seconded... like Kinsella, having him in and around our club is vital to the way we want to shape our future
  • Think I got a bit of 'dust in my eye' myself as he came back out of the tunnel at the end.

As far as I can see, not only a top professional - and one who did our club proud by getting selected to play for England - but also a very nice bloke.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm sure Pards wants him on his coaching team - and that there's on offer on the table for Sir Chris.

It's just that old nagging feeling, that you're a long time finished.
    Sir Chris is caught in two minds - he's thinking, is their just one more season I can play?
  • edited May 2008
    954840.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6412765458EBC4D06A40A659CEC4C8CB6

Of all the International players we've had over the last 10+ years, Chris Powell's debut was the one that made me feel most proud.

Top man.
  • You know, just thinking ......... we often loosely describe all our own favourite players as a legend.
    But some like 'Denis in the last minute', are legends for just one brief blink of an eye.

Chrissie Powell is different. He's done 9 pre-season training here in the last 10 years, since signing from Derby for £800,000. Powell has that Charlton character ingrained all the way through him.....a bit like 'Brighton rock'.

Charlton legend in the true meaning of the word, and we think of him as Charlton through and through - isn't it now time to forgive him - for first playing for.....Palace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only kidding :o)
  • edited May 2008
    Pards has just said on the OS:

"One left-back who won't be at The Valley next season is Powell after Pardew admitted the long-serving veteran would be heading for pastures new.

A late substitute for Shelvey, Powell, deployed in central midfield, incredibly grabbed just the third goal in his Charlton career to send the Addicks fans wild.

Pardew said: "The reception Chris got was not just because he's a great player, it's because of his character. There's a real love for the guy.

"The reason he's had that cameo appearance is because, in all honestly, I can't afford to keep him on. I'd love to keep him in a coaching capacity but I haven't really got any funds for that.

"So this is a new start for Chris, he might have another years playing. I think he'll bring something to any team but coaching is where his future lies.

"Good black coaches are very thin on the ground and I think Chris deserves a chance where perhaps he gets a player/coaching role. If he gets a job here, it would be lower down the levels and I think he deserves more than that.

"If I was a manager further down the leagues and looking for a coach who could double up as a player then he would be the first on my list.

"I'd just like to praise him and say that he has been absolutely brilliant for this club. I thought he played his natural position for the first time in 38 years!

"He will come back to this club at some point in some capacity but he's still got playing days left."
  • how about if Pards goes then charlton could afford to keep him!
  • So Pards has said it. Cheerio, Chris .... and thanks for everything.
  • "I'd like to keep Ben Thatcher on..."

You what?!

*same old Pardew, taking the piss*

;-)
  • Agree with everything that has been written, Powelly makes me proud to be a Charlton fan.
  • edited May 2008
    A hero, a legend, a great bloke so many accolades, when he scored that goal, I could not stop laughing ... it was fantastic and leaves a glow. I am told that he was slagged off by Mellor during the week. the man stands by his reputation and his credentials - his is the substance of what he has done and how he has done it - Mellor is slime ball of the lowest level, Powell a true man in every sense.

Ps any idea how I can get a 10 x 8 print of the above picture?
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

Be nice to 'Paddy Powell' .......?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Ps any idea how I can get a 10 x 8 print of the above picture?
    Contact the BBC - it's from their site.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

Be nice to 'Paddy Powell' .......?
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Ps any idea how I can get a 10 x 8 print of the above picture?
    Contact the BBC - it's from their site.

Cool, maybe I can bet with Paddy that I can get the pic
  • "The reason he's had that cameo appearance is because, in all honestly, I can't afford to keep him on. I'd love to keep him in a coaching capacity but I haven't really got any funds for that.

Pardew didn't say that a few weeks ago when it was a case of playing contract or coaching role....
    Pardews full of sh!t...
  • "I (yes I!) Can't afford to keep him on" !!!!!!!!!

I? my god he is such a tosser. He is so far up his own ass he is nearly inside out.
  • Magnificent footballer, fantastic bloke and just about my only claim to fame in life: He gave me a watch once.

Thanks for everything Chris.
  • Great player and a true Charlton legend. Gutted I wasn't there for his last performance. Looking forward to seeing him back with us as a coach in the future.
  • My new computer background!
    80982789.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193CE41B024AE96D64D4FAFA3519144007CE30A760B0D811297
  • A STAR today as always.
  • Is he the only player who has played three times for Charlton?

A fantastic script for a truly nice person and great servant of the club. He is up there in the top five of all-time Charlton legends for me. Sir Chris thank you!
  • [cite]Posted By: Harry Gregory[/cite]Is he the only player who has played three times for Charlton?

A fantastic script for a truly nice person and great servant of the club. He is up there in the top five of all-time Charlton legends for me. Sir Chris thank you!

He shouild be held up to all young players as the epitome of how a player should be, but it won't happen, my player of this year and every year of all of english football.